Jingle bell, Jingle bell, Jingle bell LIVE ROCK !!!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have ever used was dry rock. Mostly because it is what I had at my disposal, and what was given to me.
But that does not mean that I would not use live rock.
For me, it's the price. I just can't see spending $250 for 15 pounds of rock, especially when I already have over 200# of dry rock now. (yes, I understand most of that is shipping, which further makes my point)
Even if you just seed your 200lbs of rock with 15lbs of live rock, it’s absolutely worth it. It’s hard to explain or quantify just how much of a difference real live rock makes. The tank I have no was started with 75% dry rock and 25% live, and now at about 10 months I’m still having issues with nutrients, dry rock just isn’t as porous and so it’s difficult for it to aid in denitrification (nevermind the fact that bottled bacteria just can’t compete with the diversity that comes on live rock). IMO, it’s worth every penny, and is just as important as lighting and flow.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you just seed your 200lbs of rock with 15lbs of live rock, it’s absolutely worth it. It’s hard to explain or quantify just how much of a difference real live rock makes. The tank I have no was started with 75% dry rock and 25% live, and now at about 10 months I’m still having issues with nutrients, dry rock just isn’t as porous and so it’s difficult for it to aid in denitrification (nevermind the fact that bottled bacteria just can’t compete with the diversity that comes on live rock). IMO, it’s worth every penny, and is just as important as lighting and flow.

That is something that I just may have to consider, AFTER Christmas of course. :p:cool:

All I have right now is a 40B that I am getting ready to set up. But, future plans are to have at least a 6' tank setup, and all that live rock sure would come in handy at that point...

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock, IMO, is the key to starting off on the right foot with a reef tank. Bio-diversity, bacteria, pods, no Dino’s/cyano/GHA, instant cycle and just better looking aesthetically. When I read all the horror stories on R2R about people with Dino’s/cyano/GHA, I have to laugh. While live rock ain’t cheap, I think the cost is well worth it vs. the time, effort, cost and frustration battling those problems.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a complete tear down a year and a half ago after having it set up for 3 years. Tank was overrun with softies and I wanted to get into SPS. Used rock a guy had in his sump for 7 years. Started adding SPS including acros in 2 weeks. No way you could do that with dry rock.
Nice! Did that myself once!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock 100%.

It may come with pests, 99% of those can be run out of the rock with some club soda poured over it. Doesnt hurt a thing and if something good comes out, rinse it off and move on.

I also feel that there is no issue adding a piece or 2 of dry rock here or there, as long as the base/majority is live rock.

Cant setup a tank and throw what I throw in them in a week with dry rock.

Well you can, but they will die lol.

tempImagesyCR2Z.png
Nice carpets!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back