Jinxed myself (upset derasa)

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted last week about my beautiful new derasa and now it looks really ticked off or dying. Perams:
Cal: 480
Alk: 9.8
NO3: 5
PO4: 0.09 ppm

Light is an XR 30...not sure what I am doing wrong the clam looked great and wide open yesterday. Any thoughts? Anything I can do now to help??
IMG_3947.JPG

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the answer is in the picture?
I was hoping not but it is certainly possible, I know the flamebacks are reef safe with caution but mine has never picked at anything and I havent directly seen him do it to the clam. Maybe I'll sit and watch for a bit and see what I can see.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing much new growth but there is some, plus the fish could be nipping causing the issue. The mantle looks very colorful and vibrant. I'd say the fish could be causing the mantle to retract.

Last edited:

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing much new growth but there is some, plus the clam could be nipping causing the issue. The mantle looks very colorful and vibrant. I'd say the fish could be causing the mantle to retract.
I think you meant that the fish could be nipping :)

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not cover clam with plastic transparent container with breather holes then if it opens up then you no the fish is most likely the cause and also means you don't have to stress the fish out by having to remove it just a thought.
I'm not seeing much new growth but there is some, plus the fish could be nipping causing the issue. The mantle looks very colorful and vibrant. I'd say the fish could be causing the mantle to retract.
I just decided to put a fish net next to the clam so the fish wouldn't go near it. Already much more open after 5 mins, I think we know the culprit. Now the million dollar question, does the clam or the fish go back to the lfs? ;)
IMG_3949.JPG

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided to put a fish net next to the clam so the fish wouldn't go near it. Already much more open after 5 mins, I think we know the culprit. Now the million dollar question, does the clam or the fish go back to the lfs? ;)
IMG_3949.JPG
Well, I'm pretty sure you could bait a trap with some clam and catch the culprit! :) LOL

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3949.JPG
I vote the fish!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a derasa like that and I saw your first picture and it was stunning. Bye bye fishy I think the clam is way more unique unless the fish does tricks or something. Can it get you a beer by chance? They have been know to play fetch

2C727EE6-DD18-466E-B5AB-BCE61451579B.jpeg

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a derasa like that and I saw your first picture and it was stunning. Bye bye fishy I think the clam is way more unique unless the fish does tricks or something. Can it get you a beer by chance? They have been know to play fetch

2C727EE6-DD18-466E-B5AB-BCE61451579B.jpeg
Totally agree with you, talked to my buddy at the LFS and we agreed the fish is evicted. Taking him back tomorrow and gonna replace with something that is reef safe without caution lol

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with you, talked to my buddy at the LFS and we agreed the fish is evicted. Taking him back tomorrow and gonna replace with something that is reef safe without caution lol
Just a heads up, tridacna produce a mucous that many fish (even tangs) can find irresistible.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you catch it! I got to wait for old age with mine I have so much rock. That or do you know of any tiny spear guns? I got a couple black clowns that aren’t funny anymore. They get Think my Goni’s are home

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back