Jobs or The Great barrier reef? Australia struggles to decide. (Poll)

Which would you choose? Great barrier reef....or jobs and coal??

• Great barrier reef

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Coal/ jobs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care to get involved.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's take a look at what the argument is. In this case, it isn't direct destruction of the reef, that would make this an easy decision. The proposed mine site is over 200 miles from the ocean. The concern is about the increase in CO2 emissions from the mined coal impacting the reef.

It is very easy to say that we should vote for the reef for us who don't live in Queensland. It is easy to suggest that those without reliable electricity in India and China shouldn't be building new coal plants to provide electricity when most of us already enjoy it.

I would suggest we look at the question like this. For some people in Queensland the question could be phrased. "Would you give up the prospects of getting a job to protect the reef from CO2 emmissions?" For those in India it could be "Would you go without electricity for 8 hours a day to protect the reef?"

How would we answer those questions? Is protecting the GBR from CO2 emissions worth more to you than your job? Would you go without electricity for 8 hours a day to protect the reef?

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived there....yes..I'd sacrifice everything for the reef...I understand your view point and that's a great way to make people look from both sides..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived there....yes..I'd sacrifice everything for the reef...I understand your view point and that's a great way to make people look from both sides..
I selected the "Don't care to get involved" because I would like to think that I would want to protect the reef but if it came to supporting my family that would be a tough choice.

I look forward to the day when technology makes it so that it isn't an either/or proposition.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar. Wind. Creates more Jobs.
The whole planet is moving towards it.china India etc. It's new tech. New tech new jobs.

Coal is cheap. Easy to produce. You don't need many people to do it. Makes corps money.

There's a big bright desert in the middle of Aus. Jus sayin.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a big bright desert in the middle of Aus. Jus sayin.
Unfortunately, this coal is not being mined to be used in Australia. It is intended to be used in India. Coal and Iron are two of the largest exports for Australia with India and China being the largest consumers.

I do agree that Australia should do more to develop renewables though. They have so many great options they could use. Most areas are suitable for geothermal units. They have solar in abundance. Their winds are stable and predictable.

The whole planet is moving towards it.china India etc. It's new tech. New tech new jobs.

While both countries are building renewables (a great thing!) they are building coal plants at a remarkable rate. China has approved funding for 700 new coal plants and is breaking ground to start construction on over 2 a week. As of last month they had 299 under construction.

India is in a similar situation. They have plans to build 370 coal plants with 132 currently under construction.

It's going to take a lot of coal to feed all this new generation.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this coal is not being mined to be used in Australia. It is intended to be used in India. Coal and Iron are two of the largest exports for Australia with India and China being the largest consumers.

I do agree that Australia should do more to develop renewables though. They have so many great options they could use. Most areas are suitable for geothermal units. They have solar in abundance. Their winds are stable and predictable.

While both countries are building renewables (a great thing!) they are building coal plants at a remarkable rate. China has approved funding for 700 new coal plants and is breaking ground to start construction on over 2 a week. As of last month they had 299 under construction.

India is in a similar situation. They have plans to build 370 coal plants with 132 currently under construction.

It's going to take a lot of coal to feed all this new generation.
It's an example of commerce over care.
Maybe they should sell them wind towers. It would employ more people

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 77 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.7%
Back