JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well things are on the up and up. SPS are growing well. Wait led lights don't grow corals right! REEF RADIANCE oh especially the affordable ones like a reef radiance lights for which I'm using three 155e custom units. Fooy I say.....

So anyways here are some pictures of corals not growing lol and a picture of one of my red dragons that looks awesome. Yes these pictures are taken with my Ipad and yes they suck but you might get it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And some others you will see in the background of a photo a sad coral that was tragically damaged by shipping. It fought off some algee and now is growing. I'll have to cut out some dead areas. You can see those sharp tips growing out. Tell me if you spot it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the one not doing well a birdsnest? In the pic it looks like one. Looks great and the PE on that milli just amazes me!
TJ's Reef maybe Todd can correct but I have the birds nest thats pink and green but in the back ground is a torch coral looks similar but sharp pointy tips. Jackie I actually have a nice clean frag of it growing out for you at bottom of tank.

So you like my PE lol ozone baby yeah!

So in the one picture there is a BIRDSNEST STYLOPHORA and the other orange one with green spongedous below I believe they are in the Montipora type family but like I said what do I know.

What about the Jason fox the blue one with darker blue tips oh it's a beauty.

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! My x2 MH and x4 T5 fixture has finally given out and I'm so tired of replacing the bulbs so I was looking on my local reef clubs for sale forum and found a Reef Breeders Photon 48" fixture for sale for $250 (half off). I think I'll go ahead and get it. I'd like to get a higher end led or led/T5 fixture but due to their insane prices and my need for a new fixture now, I figured it'd be a good idea to get this one by Reef Breeders and get some experience with led lighting as it will be my first time. Then maybe down the road, and after saving some funds, get the higher tier leds or led/T5. Good to see some success using these cheaper fixtures; makes me feel better about making this purchase which I must make very soon

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ's Reef maybe Todd can correct but I have the birds nest thats pink and green but in the back ground is a torch coral looks similar but sharp pointy tips. Jackie I actually have a nice clean frag of it growing out for you at bottom of tank.

So you like my PE lol ozone baby yeah!

So in the one picture there is a BIRDSNEST STYLOPHORA and the other orange one with green spongedous below I believe they are in the Montipora type family but like I said what do I know.

What about the Jason fox the blue one with darker blue tips oh it's a beauty.

Sweet! Thank you Joe :D

So the ozone is making that much of a difference, wow!!! I might have to look into it. But saving for an apex 1st... hoping tax time helps with that too ;)

That blue Jason Fox is my favorite in your tank lol!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Coralville, IA.....probably far away I'm guessing. My tank is a standard 75gal

Okay I thought you made it up. Funny to be a reefer living in a town called Coralville.

Believe it or not those expensive led fixtures don't grow coral any better. I would start on lower settings until corals get used to it. I run around 40% white and color channel and 55 to 60% blue. With more to go. No need to pay 750 for a fancy Eco waste of money if you ask me.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I thought you made it up. Funny to be a reefer living in a town called Coralville.

Believe it or not those expensive led fixtures don't grow coral any better. I would start on lower settings until corals get used to it. I run around 40% white and color channel and 55 to 60% blue. With more to go. No need to pay 750 for a fancy Eco waste of money if you ask me.

lol no doubt! Thanks for the advise regarding the leds. I'm gonna go for it

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have regular airline tubing on mine. I went to fish-street a while back to see if i could get some and they were out. Not sure where else to get it.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to get some tubing tomorrow. Wonder if i should get silicon or clear pvc plastic air line tubing.

Also I'm over these Kenya trees I don't like the look of them in my tank. Does anyone want some?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted to Todd on his thread since he mentioned doser tubing...anyway I asked what he thought on this subject. Though I haven't run mine yet i have airline on it.

I feel you on the Kenya! I just moved all mine to the 45g.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what Todd said about the tubing " regular 1/4" silicon airline tubing would probably work short but most likely was what was on mine to begin with and stretched out to the point of nearly useless. I believe 1/4" I.D. Surgical tubing is more resilient or better suited"

I guess I'll see if I have a medical supply in my area. If not I'm sure it can be found online.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, got you two and I all confused on this tubing. As for the lines to and from the Doser itself regular silicon is perfectly fine. What I was stating about the Surgical Grade Silicon was for the actual Doser itself that the rollers work over. I was stating that the cheaper Doser's like mine do not have very good quality tubing and needs to be replaced for better accuracy.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the dp4 is installed and all setup. I made a shelf under the stand which also gave me a nice place for the ozotech. I used air line tubing clear. Seems fine so far. The dp4 seems to be a nice unit. Time will tell but so far been real happy with all jebao products.
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was it to calibrate?
Easy. Just follow instructions. Prime and calibrate with RO water. Then I drained the inlet tube and then put into supplement jug. Did a manual pump to run through then set dosing. You set how many doses then how much per dose then what time per dose.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back