John's SPS Shallow 90g Peninsula-Lagoon build

Poseidon's snail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed reading this thread and am also planning something similar - shallow is awesome!
Debating mangroves and no lid but then limits fish because no lid :(
Anyway - really cool tank!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I enjoyed reading this thread and am also planning something similar - shallow is awesome!
Debating mangroves and no lid but then limits fish because no lid :(
Anyway - really cool tank!
Thank you! It’s certainly been a journey. I’m in the building process now of a 25g ext IM tank with an attached 10g that will house mangroves and a few clams, so stay tuned.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there anything you would have changed when you decided the dimensions?
Thanks so much
Yeah, maybe a little deeper, 2”? If I had the room, I would’ve gone 48x48x18, but that would require eurobracing. I just like wide, shallow tanks, so I could’ve gone in several directions, but nothing deeper than 18”.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ah that sucks, such a nice colony. Your piece is safe with me bud! Let me know when you want it back
Thanks Matt! I have two mini colonies going strong, one is looking great next to your doomsday and the other looks pretty good, but I think I’m going to give it to another friend as backup. Hopefully I won’t need a frag back and it keeps growing and coloring up for you. I bet it’s loving the halides?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matt! I have two mini colonies going strong, one is looking great next to your doomsday and the other looks pretty good, but I think I’m going to give it to another friend as backup. Hopefully I won’t need a frag back and it keeps growing and coloring up for you. I bet it’s loving the halides?
Oh yeah it is. Just about everything in the tank perked up to the change but the most noticeable are the blue pieces and anything that has some purple in it looks amazing under the spectrum.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah it is. Just about everything in the tank perked up to the change but the most noticeable are the blue pieces and anything that has some purple in it looks amazing under the spectrum.
That’s great! Purple and blue only come out with full spectrum lighting and seeing those colors under that lighting is simply amazing. It’s like listening to mp3’s your entire life, then someone plays vinyl on a true hi-fi system for the first time, there’s no comparison. How’s the temp been for you? I think I’m going to move my 24v fan to the sump, which will reduce the noise a little and it will let me out the fan closer to the water surface for more efficient cooling.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I spent some time cleaning up a few things, mainly my pumps and skimmer. Also pulled more chaeto, seems like 2-3 weeks is about as far as I can go without the chaeto slowing down flow in the sump. I’ll pull, (cut up) the skeleton tonight when the lights are off, which is less stressful for the fish and I don’t risk any fish jumping.
2612A0F4-8811-4548-9C6C-0A375BFBC088.jpeg
5D331633-C6B4-4233-B69B-6B310FEE96D1.jpeg

Here’s about two weeks of chaeto.
ABE9BFCA-9E05-4724-B325-8043FD31FE57.jpeg
CFB34BF0-8F16-4A80-B8D1-F0C514A13AD6.jpeg

Couple FTS before and after cleaning.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much going on at the moment, been busy with work. I did lose a my pc rainbow colony, same thing that happened to my VM colony, happened to it. It was also next to it, so I’m thinking a pathogen/bacteria? My silly string acro was going to be next, so I popped it off of the rock and it’s currently on the sand. My pink table is still affected by the same thing, so I may chop off the infected part and see if that helps? I’m running some carbon passively to help out a little.
Yesterday I ordered the halides, so they should be in soon. I still need to order the 8020 for the canopy though. I need to buy a couple things for the 25g lagoon and I’ll have that up and running. I decided to buy a Coral Box DC4000 return pump, as it has 0-10v and a boatload of fittings that are included, all for $120. Also waiting for the Xaqua InOut overflow to be in stock somewhere. I can essentially fill up the 25g with stuff from my main tank and have an instant tank, which is what I’ll probably do. My LFS finally got some trimma gobies, but I have no place to put them, so I’ll have to wait. I want to put them in with the mangroves and clams. I’ll also throw in some sexy shrimp in there too. My McCoskers has been hiding a lot lately, I think the addition of the anthias kinda freaked him out, so I’m hoping when I reset everything, he’ll come out again. He’s too good looking to just hide all day. I threw in 5 peppermint shrimp in hopes that they’ll go after some of the aiptasia that have been thriving lately. If they don’t work, then back to the berghia, which always work.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the losses.

I’m interested to see how the peppermints works out for you. I’m convinced cleaner shrimps and peppermints aren’t mixing for me. So far gone the first night, every time so I’m done with those for now.

Ill probably try berghia next, I don’t think my tank will accept any newcomers at this point so a file fish is out,
What’s the lighting on the 25 going to be?

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear about the losses.

I’m interested to see how the peppermints works out for you. I’m convinced cleaner shrimps and peppermints aren’t mixing for me. So far gone the first night, every time so I’m done with those for now.

Ill probably try berghia next, I don’t think my tank will accept any newcomers at this point so a file fish is out,
What’s the lighting on the 25 going to be?
Yeah, peppermints have been 50/50 for me in the past, so we’ll see? I actually prefer berghia, but can’t find any locally ATM.
I’m going to use two of my Kessil’s for the 25g, but I just ordered an LEDs from Amazon, as my radion gen 2 stopped working. I’m borrowing my old 160’s from my friend, but I’ll give the Amazon light some time before I transition back to Kessil’s. This is the light I bought.
Amazon Led
I’ll probably move two of the Orpheks over as well? I might use a Tuna Sun over the mangroves/clams with either the 55 or 35 degree lens, so I can mount it high to allow for some growth with the mangroves, plus the clams will look awesome under that light. If you’ve ever seen a clam under a 6500k iwasaki, then you know what I mean.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back