Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params!

Salinity: 1.025sg
ALK: 7.1dKh
NO3: >0, <1ppm
PO4: 0.07ppm
Notes: Looks OK. Will try to raise ALK a bit more; ignoring NO3 for now, because I think bubble algae is taking off. Flux is on the way.

Clown prison tank:
ALK: 5dKh
NH3/NH4: 0ppm
NO3: 0ppm
Note: Not surprising, since I haven't been using the tank, just keeping it running and occasionally tossing some pellets in to add nutrients for the zoas in the tank, which all look sad. ALK is in bad shape. Doing a 60% water change now, so should help.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params!

ALK: 7.1dKh
NO3: >0, <1ppm
PO4: 0.07ppm
Notes: Looks OK. Will try to raise ALK a bit more; ignoring NO3 for now, because I think bubble algae is taking off. Flux is on the way.

Clown prison tank:
ALK: 5dKh
NH3/NH4: 0ppm
NO3: 0ppm
Note: Not surprising, since I haven't been using the tank, just keeping it running and occasionally tossing some pellets in to add nutrients for the zoas in the tank, which all look sad. ALK is in bad shape. Doing a 60% water change now, so should help.
I would avoid flux. I had out of control bryopsis and gha. Hit it with several rounds of flux. Killed it all invluding some bubble. Two weeks later corals not looking good. Now battling dinos and chrysophytes. Lost: 3 hammers, 2 large cynarinas, 1 frog, trachy, large acantho. Looks like I will lose my superman scoly, bleeding apple scoly and now fox coral and lobos declining. Wish I never did it.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid flux. I had out of control bryopsis and gha. Hit it with several rounds of flux. Killed it all invluding some bubble. Two weeks later corals not looking good. Now battling dinos and chrysophytes. Lost: 3 hammers, 2 large cynarinas, 1 frog, trachy, large acantho. Looks like I will lose my superman scoly, bleeding apple scoly and now fox coral and lobos declining. Wish I never did it.
I'm sorry, that's a disaster!

I've done flux before, but I took a few steps to help out the corals: added a bubbler, dosed PNS Probio and Fiji Mud (now switched to Aquaforest Life Source) and checked nutrients more frequently. I've had a monti and an RFA change colors a bit, but otherwise nothing else affected.

Beware, fire and brimstone preaching on the way. Turn back now!

In principle, it should not do much of anything to corals since it acts primarily against the process of fungal cell wall developement, for which algal cell wall developement seems sufficiently similar. Corals and other animals do not have cell walls, although they do have similar target proteins (cytochrome P450). Humans take fluconazole for fungal infections and do experience side effects, so it can for sure affect higher organisms, but as is often the case, this seems to occur in a dose-dependent manner, and the doses used in humans are so much higher than what you use for algae in a fish tank, I venture a guess that it won't cause toxicity to your corals. That said, killing a lot of organisms (algae) in a tank can have downstream effects. I would imagine that more stuff killed and the faster it's killed, the more potential for nasty side effects. For example, what happens to the space left behind? If nothing is ready to take its place and the unspent nutrients are available, I'd venture that its a good opportunity for dinos, cyano or other bothersome stuff to take resistance. My hope is that the Fiji Mud and PNS Probio help fill that space. Nutrient release and other processes of algal cell death might affect water parameters. Maybe oxygenation? My hope is that the bubbler counteracts that if it occurs (and if not, isn't harmful in any case). Nutrient swings can also affect your corals, so keeping tabs on that helps, and the PNS Probio might help with nutrient management. There are plenty of other ways to manage nutrients.

One thing I'll do whenever there's time (like, never, unless I reduce my reef2reef postings, HA!) is look up the alignments of P450 in fungi, algae, coral, nems, snails, crabs, worms, fish and humans to look at homology.

Anyway, I plan to use flux again because the bubble algae is on the rise, but it isn't in plague proportions, so hoping it goes easily without much perturbance to the system. Also, I hate bubble algae.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS:
PXL_20240307_003625485.jpg

And the old nano starting up again.
PXL_20240307_003648402.MP.jpg

PXL_20240307_003702396.jpg

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, that's a disaster!

I've done flux before, but I took a few steps to help out the corals: added a bubbler, dosed PNS Probio and Fiji Mud (now switched to Aquaforest Life Source) and checked nutrients more frequently. I've had a monti and an RFA change colors a bit, but otherwise nothing else affected.

Beware, fire and brimstone preaching on the way. Turn back now!

In principle, it should not do much of anything to corals since it acts primarily against the process of fungal cell wall developement, for which algal cell wall developement seems sufficiently similar. Corals and other animals do not have cell walls, although they do have similar target proteins (cytochrome P450). Humans take fluconazole for fungal infections and do experience side effects, so it can for sure affect higher organisms, but as is often the case, this seems to occur in a dose-dependent manner, and the doses used in humans are so much higher than what you use for algae in a fish tank, I venture a guess that it won't cause toxicity to your corals. That said, killing a lot of organisms (algae) in a tank can have downstream effects. I would imagine that more stuff killed and the faster it's killed, the more potential for nasty side effects. For example, what happens to the space left behind? If nothing is ready to take its place and the unspent nutrients are available, I'd venture that its a good opportunity for dinos, cyano or other bothersome stuff to take resistance. My hope is that the Fiji Mud and PNS Probio help fill that space. Nutrient release and other processes of algal cell death might affect water parameters. Maybe oxygenation? My hope is that the bubbler counteracts that if it occurs (and if not, isn't harmful in any case). Nutrient swings can also affect your corals, so keeping tabs on that helps, and the PNS Probio might help with nutrient management. There are plenty of other ways to manage nutrients.

One thing I'll do whenever there's time (like, never, unless I reduce my reef2reef postings, HA!) is look up the alignments of P450 in fungi, algae, coral, nems, snails, crabs, worms, fish and humans to look at homology.

Anyway, I plan to use flux again because the bubble algae is on the rise, but it isn't in plague proportions, so hoping it goes easily without much perturbance to the system. Also, I hate bubble algae.
Bacteria Microbiology GIF by kirun
willem dafoe scientist GIF
Jason Sudeikis Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost both bubble tips i had. I wont be keeping them again :(

Maybe I'll get more gonis and pectinias.
Baby must be up! I remember those nights. Every night. First one would scream at me all night while I tried ever more creative ways to rock, bounce, pat and sway. But man, getting that boy to go down was like winning an Olympic gold medal. Second one I don't even remember because he'd wake up, eat, and go back to sleep. Hold him for 5 min then back into the crib. Think I was only 50% awake most of the time.

You let me know if you want a widow and/or a RBTA. Sounds like @Stang67 has you covered for the space invader pectinia--perfect fragging branch. The RBTA is splitting off and on every few weeks to few months. Widow is splitting less frequently and grows BIG.
1709887626610.jpeg

Pectinia is growing nicely but in a dish shape, nothing easy to cut yet.
1709887684394.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Baby must be up! I remember those nights. Every night. First one would scream at me all night while I tried ever more creative ways to rock, bounce, pat and sway. But man, getting that boy to go down was like winning an Olympic gold medal. Second one I don't even remember because he'd wake up, eat, and go back to sleep. Hold him for 5 min then back into the crib. Think I was only 50% awake most of the time.

You let me know if you want a widow and/or a RBTA. Sounds like @Stang67 has you covered for the space invader pectinia--perfect fragging branch. The RBTA is splitting off and on every few weeks to few months. Widow is splitting less frequently and grows BIG.
1709887626610.jpeg

Pectinia is growing nicely but in a dish shape, nothing easy to cut yet.
1709887684394.jpeg
I lost my inferno and bta, I wont be trying again until i get the vermin snails eradicated. So, here goes a long lost battle.

I thought daylight savings would buy me an extra hour in the morning... Now he's awake at 530 and prepped...

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my inferno and bta, I wont be trying again until i get the vermin snails eradicated. So, here goes a long lost battle.

I thought daylight savings would buy me an extra hour in the morning... Now he's awake at 530 and prepped...
That's them keeping you in tip top shape. You have to imagine them saying "only the strong survive. You'll thank me later". Hmm, will I?

Hmm, I'd say try a valentini puffer, but it would probably go to town on your corals before the vermetids.. I have an interesting tool for them. I'll try to video it later.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a small army of bumble bee snails and they demolish vermatids. Haven't seen one in over a year.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When do you sleep?!
You’re always awake after and before me! What is it 4am west coast?!
Sleep? I take naps. I run on fumes. If I luck out I get a 2 hour nap. I am on central time. So right now 7:40 am.

I have always been a light sleeper surrounded by people who can fall asleep the moment they close their eyes. I envy anyone who can lay their head down and be gone off to dream land in less than 10 minutes. I toss and turn and may as well not even bother.

I have a small army of bumble bee snails and they demolish vermatids. Haven't seen one in over a year.
I have 5.... I might need to get more. I have 3 emerald crabs. 2 females and 1 male. Now, reason for them .. my first emerald ate every vermin in site. I should have sumped his tail, but I didn't have one. I had a hob filter when I got back into reefing. Took 2 years to get a decent system running. I'll definitely try for more bumbles. I might get to see the new reef lfs this weekend.

That's them keeping you in tip top shape. You have to imagine them saying "only the strong survive. You'll thank me later". Hmm, will I?

Hmm, I'd say try a valentini puffer, but it would probably go to town on your corals before the vermetids.. I have an interesting tool for them. I'll try to video it later.
My first babe was a dream. But he had colic. This one is a monster and he knows it. But, I get what I deserve. He is just like his mom (monster)..... My oldest is just like his dad (charming).

As for vermins, I am still dosing the calcium carbon powder, but something interesting happened.. They are breaking their nets when I do. Never seen that happen before.

Valentini puffer huh? I might....

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew what killed my vermetids but I don't. I have a couple bumblebees but I had quite the outbreak and now none. I'm very lucky in that with the exception of cyano all my pests seem to fall to my attempted solution.
Aiptasia - peppermints kill them overnight (and pearlscale in my other tank)
Bubble algae - foxes love it
GHA - Mexican turbos
Vermetid - ???

Of course cyano is a constant issue for me so its not all sunshine and rainbows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleep? I take naps. I run on fumes. If I luck out I get a 2 hour nap. I am on central time. So right now 7:40 am.

I have always been a light sleeper surrounded by people who can fall asleep the moment they close their eyes. I envy anyone who can lay their head down and be gone off to dream land in less than 10 minutes. I toss and turn and may as well not even bother.

I have 5.... I might need to get more. I have 3 emerald crabs. 2 females and 1 male. Now, reason for them .. my first emerald ate every vermin in site. I should have sumped his tail, but I didn't have one. I had a hob filter when I got back into reefing. Took 2 years to get a decent system running. I'll definitely try for more bumbles. I might get to see the new reef lfs this weekend.

My first babe was a dream. But he had colic. This one is a monster and he knows it. But, I get what I deserve. He is just like his mom (monster)..... My oldest is just like his dad (charming).

As for vermins, I am still dosing the calcium carbon powder, but something interesting happened.. They are breaking their nets when I do. Never seen that happen before.

Yes, my wife is asleep when her head hits the pillow. I marvel at this superhuman ability. I take about 10-15 min to really zonk out unless I'm well past exhaution. Coincidentally my first is a clone of me, and I was difficult all the way through my teen years, and my second is a clone of my wife who is an ocean of calm. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a 180 DT and added 40 of them.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 DT and added 40 of them.
Good move. I think you need them in numbers because some work and others slack.

Hmmm, humans == bumble Bee snails???

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good move. I think you need them in numbers because some work and others slack.

Hmmm, humans == bumble Bee snails???
I'm Gen X, so definitely a slacker...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back