JoJo's IM 40L AIO - Please, step into my office

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be the blenny picking at the clams. He's been picking at a LOT of coral lately. I haven't been too fussed about it since it's mostly been the clove polyps (have at it) and gorgonians (hrmm...). But I also watched him picking at a monti digi skeleton (the part that was stung by the torch and bare). Don't know if he was picking pods off of the digi or trying to get the remaining polyps on that branch. That's one idea, is to move the blenny with the clowns into a different tank. They get along. And I'd like to add 2-3 more wrasses in this tank...

But I won't get a clam until I find the clam killer. Hopefully it isn't me. Will probably spend a few nights at the office with a red flashlight and some clam meat bait to see what comes out of the rocks.
Boss : I hope you don't expect OT for this.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we thinking hitch hiker possibly?
My current suspicion is sustained molestation by the blenny or a hitchhiker that likes clams. Could be a worm, a whelk or maybe even a crab I don't know about. I was pretty sure I rid the TBS rock of gorilla crabs, but you never know, and since I'm not in the office at night, they could be having free reign. Some of the TBS rocks had Eunice worms and other types of worms, so that could be a concern. I don't think the rocks in this tank had any Eunice worms, but who knows.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current suspicion is sustained molestation by the blenny or a hitchhiker that likes clams. Could be a worm, a whelk or maybe even a crab I don't know about. I was pretty sure I rid the TBS rock of gorilla crabs, but you never know, and since I'm not in the office at night, they could be having free reign. Some of the TBS rocks had Eunice worms and other types of worms, so that could be a concern. I don't think the rocks in this tank had any Eunice worms, but who knows.
Checked for pyramid snails?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked for pyramid snails?
Yes, no pyramid snails that I could tell. I don't know if pyramid snails exist in the live rock, but I doubt it.

Maybe I should take a market clam and toss that into the tank at night and watch what comes out.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, no pyramid snails that I could tell. I don't know if pyramid snails exist in the live rock, but I doubt it.

Maybe I should take a market clam and toss that into the tank at night and watch what comes out.
I don’t know, I’d be paranoid that if I didn’t have a clam eater before, I’d create one by doing that.

I know very little though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will probably spend a few nights at the office with a red flashlight and some clam meat bait to see what comes out of the rocks.
My recent plan after a sad overnight clam loss early on has been to spend the first night on the couch periodically waking up to check on new clam additions for this reason. My wife is not a fan of such activities, but caught a couple non-nassarius whelk-y things that had been blending into the CUC.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent plan after a sad overnight clam loss early on has been to spend the first night on the couch periodically waking up to check on new clam additions for this reason. My wife is not a fan of such activities, but caught a couple non-nassarius whelk-y things that had been blending into the CUC.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Amazing that these critters make it into our tanks and hide so well. I'd have a problem dumping the kids, all bedtime routine and house cleanup on my wife for "hey, I gotta sleep at the office tonight and wake up every hour to check on my clam". @rmorris_14 TNWSS?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mrs. Clown *allegedly* took another bite out of brunneus. And this time took some tissue.

I still can't catch brunneus. Way too fast and goes right under the rocks to hide. But I can sure catch Mrs. Clown and throw her in prison. She's a mean one but a few branches short of a colony.

1709688942838.jpeg

I should have named her Felicia because I'd love to say "Bye, Felicia". @OrchidMiss

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While setting up Mrs. Clown's prison cell, took a few shots of the tank from top:

SPS island
1709689218165.jpeg

Mini SPS island
1709689241976.jpeg

I added the second Maxspect xf330 gyre on the left side using the single side end cap BRS sent me.
1709689277796.jpeg

1709689289177.jpeg

Still not working. Makes a horrendous sound when it starts and stops. Bushings maybe?

Back to the drawing board.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a good idea. Amazing that these critters make it into our tanks and hide so well. I'd have a problem dumping the kids, all bedtime routine and house cleanup on my wife for "hey, I gotta sleep at the office tonight and wake up every hour to check on my clam". @rmorris_14 TNWSS?
Wifi camera on record. Then use your day shift hours to watch the reef at night.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mrs. Clown *allegedly* took another bite out of brunneus. And this time took some tissue.

I still can't catch brunneus. Way too fast and goes right under the rocks to hide. But I can sure catch Mrs. Clown and throw her in prison. She's a mean one but a few branches short of a colony.

1709688942838.jpeg

I should have named her Felicia because I'd love to say "Bye, Felicia".
1000031302.jpg

Phaedra Parks Bye Felicia GIF

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There she is, sitting there in her nem with her gold stripes. "You can look, but you can't touch...or I take your finger off." I think Mrs. Clown found her role model.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While setting up Mrs. Clown's prison cell, took a few shots of the tank from top:

SPS island
1709689218165.jpeg

Mini SPS island
1709689241976.jpeg

I added the second Maxspect xf330 gyre on the left side using the single side end cap BRS sent me.
1709689277796.jpeg

1709689289177.jpeg

Still not working. Makes a horrendous sound when it starts and stops. Bushings maybe?

Back to the drawing board.
its the fuel pump

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you found an end cap for a xf330? I thought they didn’t make one?
It exists! The US supplier (BRS) has to get it for you. Not sure why they don't market it. Maybe not enough demand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back