JoJo's IM 40L AIO - Please, step into my office

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam died today, so that's sad. On the brighter side, the Euphyllia are doing better with more feedings and some movement into slightly lower PAR spots!
1709330669838.jpeg

PXL_20240301_004328567_exported_stabilized_1709330688277.gif

Planning on getting that glass cleaned up real soon!
Nothing to be too sad about really. Look at the rest of your tank. It's awesome and you have a great collection.
We can't win 'em all!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pull the clam or did it become a meal for the tank?
Meal for the tank. They go down fast once they lose their inner tissue. Was responsive yesterday evening, although sunken in. Today nothing left but shell.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update. Came in today to find the crocea clam dead. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the tank right now. This should not have been an unhealthy clam or a case of starvation. I'm guessing it was murdered or that there's something off with my water conditions. I'm beginning to think murder, and I've got my eye on the blenny who was merrily picking away at the new blue montipora digitata today.

Anyway, I'm also looking through the tank to find out if something is off, and I don't see anything screaming out at me. About to start running some parameter tests.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update. Came in today to find the crocea clam dead. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the tank right now. This should not have been an unhealthy clam or a case of starvation. I'm guessing it was murdered or that there's something off with my water conditions. I'm beginning to think murder, and I've got my eye on the blenny who was merrily picking away at the new blue montipora digitata today.

Anyway, I'm also looking through the tank to find out if something is off, and I don't see anything screaming out at me. About to start running some parameter tests.

Wow, what a coincidence. The day after I was over at your office one of mine just up and disintegrated in 24 hours. The others are doing just fine. The one that died was doing great also with new white shell growing and strong coloration. Parameters were good and I could not find any Pyramidellid snails. So I went back on the cameras and may have found the cause. My Flame Angel, Spotted Hawkfish and Foxface were all caught having a snack on it. What I don't know is if the clam was already on it's way out or (more likely) if one of the fish got a fatal bite on it.
On the plus side, after I put the anemone I got from you in the tank, big mama ocellaris decided to abandon her two large anemones and take over the new one to keep the three skunks out. The skunks fought back and eventually sent her packing back to her original anemone. Now there is an uneasy standoff/truce going on in the middle of the tank but no nipping. I'll chalk that up as a win!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:thinking-face:

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these clams wild caught. I avoid those now.
ORA cultured hippopus and Clammania cultured crocea. Also lost an ORA derasa back in end of Jan.

Highly suspect there may be a clam predator in the tank or an inhabitant that has decided it likes clams.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the clams. If you want to raise the PAR, I would do it slowly...just like corals. They will not do well with sudden PAR increases. I'm assuming you got these clams from Clammania at CFM, they keep their clams at 180-250 PAR.

I keep my derasa and maxima on a rock (that is on the sandbed), ~150-200 PAR.

They can handle 500+ PAR, but it will need to be slowly acclimated to that level. Or you source them from someone that keeps them at those levels already. Maybe wild clams can do it.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that's rough. sorry for the losses.
Thanks, I'm holding my breath for arriving at with today. See if the dusky fairy Wrasse makes it through the night after its injury yesterday.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't post here yesterday, but the C. brunneus dusky fairy wrasse had an injury while I had my back turned and has a hurt pectoral fin. Tried catching it yesterday to put it in the acclimation box, but that was a dismal failure.

It was still lightning fast despite the injury and was able to escape throughout an hour and a half of pursuit. Hopefully it's just a matter of healing up and avoiding the clowns. I suspect Mrs. Clown finally got a shot on the brunneus while my back was turned. Will have yo expedite their tranfer out.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of good news. The brunneus looks like it has recovered use of its pectoral fin and is out swimming and eating today. That was a scare. I ordered Kanaplex from Amazon (along with Metro and Focus) and will have a medical kit ready in case anything like this happens again and needs treatment.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of good news. The brunneus looks like it has recovered use of its pectoral fin and is out swimming and eating today. That was a scare. I ordered Kanaplex from Amazon (along with Metro and Focus) and will have a medical kit ready in case anything like this happens again and needs treatment.

That's fantastic news!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sre the clowns leaving town? Maybe that blenny or goby should hitch a ride too so that more fragile wrasses and clams can move in.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sre the clowns leaving town? Maybe that blenny or goby should hitch a ride too so that more fragile wrasses and clams can move in.
Might be the blenny picking at the clams. He's been picking at a LOT of coral lately. I haven't been too fussed about it since it's mostly been the clove polyps (have at it) and gorgonians (hrmm...). But I also watched him picking at a monti digi skeleton (the part that was stung by the torch and bare). Don't know if he was picking pods off of the digi or trying to get the remaining polyps on that branch. That's one idea, is to move the blenny with the clowns into a different tank. They get along. And I'd like to add 2-3 more wrasses in this tank...

But I won't get a clam until I find the clam killer. Hopefully it isn't me. Will probably spend a few nights at the office with a red flashlight and some clam meat bait to see what comes out of the rocks.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be the blenny picking at the clams. He's been picking at a LOT of coral lately. I haven't been too fussed about it since it's mostly been the clove polyps (have at it) and gorgonians (hrmm...). But I also watched him picking at a monti digi skeleton (the part that was stung by the torch and bare). Don't know if he was picking pods off of the digi or trying to get the remaining polyps on that branch. That's one idea, is to move the blenny with the clowns into a different tank. They get along. And I'd like to add 2-3 more wrasses in this tank...

But I won't get a clam until I find the clam killer. Hopefully it isn't me. Will probably spend a few nights at the office with a red flashlight and some clam meat bait to see what comes out of the rocks.
Are we thinking hitch hiker possibly?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back