JoJo's IM 40L AIO - Please, step into my office

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it in your 19 pages - but how did you extend your lights over the tank more? Do you have a link to the extender?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it in your 19 pages - but how did you extend your lights over the tank more? Do you have a link to the extender?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trimmed the RTN'ing birdsnest yesterday and left the trimmings in a tupper. This morning smells off (not like rotten, just a bit off) and water is cloudy, so I'm pretty sure there's a raging bacterial infection in the coral.
1699028666169.jpeg

I might not have gotten all of it, but best I could do at the time. Maybe some increased flow in that part will help the remaining birdsnest recover:
1699028712950.jpeg

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, great thread. Thanks for the replies back.

What would you of changed knowing what you know now (besides the doser )

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, great thread. Thanks for the replies back.

What would you of changed knowing what you know now (besides the doser )
Great question, but my answer could be different from now in a couple months--constantly on a learning curve, here. For example, what in the world is happening to my birdsnest!?

Things I would have changed for sure:
1. Sprung for a new Maxspect xf330 or gone with dual jebao gyres. I first got the Maxspect Jump 2k ($220), which is a great pump, but I've found that the cross-flow needs some disruption to get flow evenly throughout the tank. Not enough coming from the left side. Then got a pair of xf330s secondhand ($200) on R2R Marketplace and sold the Jump 2k ($100), and one of the xf330s is not working, so I'm now in the position of buying new parts for the broken xf330.

2. Definitely different doser and gone with 4 heads instead of 3. I am right now watching it NOT dose at the scheduled time (internal clock probably went off) and the fish are hanging out waiting for food to drop. I have no way to correct it because I left my laptop at home and that's the only device that seems to connect directly to the doser. I've yet to get the Simplicity up and running--I need a new barb fitting to get all 4 heads running with three combining different liquid foods--but I have high hopes for it.

3. Probably would have run another 6 weeks of Flux Rx to see if the last bits of bubble algae would go away. I'm not sure it would, but I had a lazy week last week (tank-wise, work/family wise was too busy). Now it is threatening a come-back.

4. Would have rearranged some of the initial coral layout. I took out the alveopora because after 5 months it is still not coming all the way out and is unhappy. I think it doesn't like the flow, but I don't have a better place to put it, so in the frag tank for now. Same with the candy cane, which looked like it was going to die, then got knocked over and has been sitting in the sand for a few weeks and suddenly looks much more alive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. I haven't installed the IM skimmer yet, but it seems to have horrible reviews, so I'd probably skip the IM Skimmer and go straight to one of the better nano skimmers like the Bubble Magus one.

Things I would have changed if money wasn't a consideration:
1. Gone with the ecotech powerheads with extra wetsides. I'm not sticking to a good citric acid cleaning schedule on the gyres. Plus, the tank is shallow, so the gyre action is a bit blocked by the height of the rocks, and it also puts the pump very close to the nems on the left side (no gyre currently on the left, but that's the plan). I think the wires-outside-of tank plus swapping out wetsides seems like the lazy man's road to success.

2. Gone with the 80gal AIO (4ft tank) instead of the 40gal AIO. I love the 40L, but you run out of room fast, and I'd love to get more wrasses like a Halichoeres iridis, some fairies and a second leopard (M. negrosensis). I'm currently planning to add a pinkie and a Cirrhilabrus rubeus, but that's going to max out the tank. Plus I could get a foxface and maybe a kole tang. Room for an elegance, cynarina and a few more sandbed corals (would love a colorful diaseris plate). Room for a clam. Always need a bigger tank, it seems.

All in all, I'm not complaining about anything except the doser! Love this tank!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the birdsnest today. Pretty crazy how much it grew! Skeleton crisscrossing everywhere.
PXL_20231107_015839672.jpg

Managed to cut off a few small pieces that weren't nasty and strew them around the tank. Fingers crossed some of them make it.
PXL_20231107_015833327.jpg

PXL_20231107_015817549.jpg

PXL_20231107_015813332.jpg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downside of a shallow reef:
1699466779981.jpeg

There's about 1mm clearance of that stylo from the water surface when the return pumps are off (a bit more when the return pumps are running). I do love that stylo, though. Great color, great growth. Like that goldenrod, too... I like coral!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few thoughts about changes in tank chemistry:

- Up until about 2 weeks ago, I was getting heavy film algae necessitating glass scraping twice a week. No problem, everything growing and fattening up. Right now, it is not even needed once a week.
- I changed up the food mixture a bit, but not the amount fed
---> Previously was a mix of ROE + Tigger Pods Feast + Oyster Feast + Phyto Feast; recently replaced the Tigger Pod Feast for double ROE;
- I dosed a bit of AF Life Source mud last week and should do it again today
- Birdsnest had some sort of infection and died
- All other living (visible) creatures seem fine
- ALK is staying subbornly in the mid-6s-7s, no change there; NO3 is MAYBE 1ppm, but not zero at least.

What does this mean!?

My best guess is that change will happen in your tank. Perhaps I should run a full set of tests and see what has changed.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few thoughts about changes in tank chemistry:

- Up until about 2 weeks ago, I was getting heavy film algae necessitating glass scraping twice a week. No problem, everything growing and fattening up. Right now, it is not even needed once a week.
- I changed up the food mixture a bit, but not the amount fed
---> Previously was a mix of ROE + Tigger Pods Feast + Oyster Feast + Phyto Feast; recently replaced the Tigger Pod Feast for double ROE;
- I dosed a bit of AF Life Source mud last week and should do it again today
- Birdsnest had some sort of infection and died
- All other living (visible) creatures seem fine
- ALK is staying subbornly in the mid-6s-7s, no change there; NO3 is MAYBE 1ppm, but not zero at least.

What does this mean!?

My best guess is that change will happen in your tank. Perhaps I should run a full set of tests and see what has changed.
I feel like testing is never a bad thing especially since the birdsnest just took a hit. I'd be interested to see the full numbers.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two vids today, baby brine shrimp time and regular feeding time. I don't think there's anything more exciting for the tank (fish, corals, even the inverts) than dumping a load of baby brine shrimp into the tank. My porcelains crabs go nuts.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought freeze dried mysis and calanus from BRS. In principle, I like the idea. In practice, how do you get this stuff to work!? It just floats. Seems like soaking doesn't make it float less. Vortexing doesn't seem to make it float less...
PXL_20231109_194149965_exported_stabilized_1699558960484.gif

No comment on my vortex, pls, yes it's seen better days.

1699559142092.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought freeze dried mysis and calanus from BRS. In principle, I like the idea. In practice, how do you get this stuff to work!? It just floats. Seems like soaking doesn't make it float less. Vortexing doesn't seem to make it float less...
PXL_20231109_194149965_exported_stabilized_1699558960484.gif

No comment on my vortex, pls, yes it's seen better days.

1699559142092.jpeg
I got dried food while I was cycling my first tank. I still have it…
Stuff is useless. Floats and the fish don’t like it.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got dried food while I was cycling my first tank. I still have it…
Stuff is useless. Floats and the fish don’t like it.
Mix with thawed out frozen? Or use to make diy frozen food?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix with thawed out frozen? Or use to make diy frozen food?
There's a freezer in my office, but it's all the way on the other side of the building, and... I am le tired.
1699578832375.png

Feeding tube?

End of the day, dumped what's in the tube in the tank and still floating.
1699578564680.jpeg

1699578580692.jpeg

If I dump it in right when the gyre is going full blast, it does blow around a bit. The Banana Coris Wrasse seems to like it a lot. I'll probably just mix some up and dump into the flow occasionally with the return pumps off.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's a freezer in my office, but it's all the way on the other side of the building, and... I am le tired.
1699578832375.png

End of the day, dumped what's in the tube in the tank and still floating.
1699578564680.jpeg

1699578580692.jpeg

If I dump it in right when the gyre is going full blast, it does blow around a bit. The Banana Coris Wrasse seems to like it a lot. I'll probably just mix some up and dump into the flow occasionally with the return pumps off.
Wait, you have a Coris Chrysus?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back