JSBull's Dual Reefer Set-up

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've followed R2R for a while, but haven't posted much. I figured now was a good time to dive in.

Here's the summary of this post:
  1. Backstory of why I'm (re)building
  2. Some pictures of my previous set-up
  3. Plan for tank set-up
  4. Plan for livestock
  5. Plumbing plan and diagram
I'd love ideas and feedback, as I don't want to overlook anything.

Backstory:
I had a well established Red Sea Reefer 450 that crashed a few months ago. After many months of slowly losing about $3,000 in coral, I finally found the culprit. The cause was an ESHOPPES probe holder that had an improperly sealed magnet. One magnet had corroded, expanded, and dropped into my sump where I couldn't see it. It was leaching toxins (selenium, lithium and aluminum) into the water column for weeks/months.

After a month of trying to get the heavy metals out through several methods, multiple Triton tests confirmed there was no improvement. So, I sold off my fish and my LFS is holding some of my surviving corals (mostly mushrooms) and a couple of nems for me.

Everything has sat empty for over a month and I think I'm ready to start over.

Some pictures of my previous set-up:
When first installed, to give perspective of the room.
tp1oWIp.jpg

A while before the crash.
Y3ja2Ps.jpg

Right before the crash.
SJ2papY.jpg

Toward the end of the crash.
8XClmhr.jpg

Plan for tank set-up:

My original set-up wasn't shabby, but since I'm starting over, I might as well pimp this thing out. I love small fish, but I regretted not doing a reef predator tank last time. So, I'm going make the Reefer 450 the predator tank, and add a second tank adjacent to it set up as a display refugium.

Overall system volume will be:
  • Red Sea Reefer 450 - 92 gal display, 116 gal total with sump
  • Red Sea Reefer 170 - 34 gal display, sump unused
  • Total system volume will be 150 gallons
The concept is to split my return pump to feed each, controlling the flow to the 170 with a gate valve. The 170 would then drain back to the 450's sump, creating one system. More on this later.

Equipment:
  • Neptune Apex system (in place)
  • 2 Radion G3 XR30W Pros (in place)
  • 1 Radion G3 XR15 for the Reefer 170
  • Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump (in place)
  • Skimz Monzter SM203 DC Skimmer (in place)
  • Maxspect Gyre XF150 (in place)
  • Heater and back-up heater (in place)
  • 2 Reactors that I use from time to time (in place)

Plan for livestock:
Reefer 450:
  • Soft corals, LPS and nems
  • Clown Trigger
  • Rhinopias Scorpionfish
  • Colored Angler
  • A puffer of some sort
  • Maybe a tang or angel at some point, but it would be last
Reefer 170:
  • Macroalgae, especially dragon's breath.
  • Mangroves
  • Seahorses/pipefish
  • Starry blenny
  • Maybe a midas blenny, though they are such pigs I'm concerned the seahorses won't get to eat
  • Maybe a clown goby, because they're so dang cute
  • Maybe some shrimp, etc.
  • Bare-bottom, but create a carpet of GSP at the bottom of the tank
  • Maybe some other corals that make sense.
Plumbing plan and diagram
Since I want it to flow as one system, I won't be using the sump on the 170. Below is my plumbing concept.

I know it's not ideal to take turns on drain lines, but I'm not sure I have a choice. My hope is that with the emergency drain in addition to the main, I'll be ok. I'm going to make the emergency drain shorter than the water level in the sump so that I will hear water splashing if it's used. That should give me time to find the issue with the main drain pipe and fix it.

I have added a lot of valves and unions to be sure I can fix any issues that come up without destroying the whole system.

Please offer any advice, as screwing this up and flooding my living room would be a worst-case scenario.

RpMsqon.jpg

Conclusion
Thank you for reading my lengthy post. If you have any suggestions, whatsoever, please offer them. It's not my first rodeo, but there's a lot of knowledge on this forum that I don't want to ignore. Afterall, that's the whole reason for this thread. :)

-JS

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you have a good plan going! Will it be set up in the same space?

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it ..

But second tank is another tank..... Too much livestock
Mangroves and macroalgae togheter not good in my opinion

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it ..

But second tank is another tank..... Too much livestock
Mangroves and macroalgae togheter not good in my opinion

I don't think 5 fish and a couple of seahorse will be too much for 150 gallons, but maybe I'm wrong.

What is the issue with mangroves and macro? Too few nutrients? I can ditch the mangroves without any heartburn.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves will inhibit macro
In that way you have not a good refugium but 2 DT
With a too little sump

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update. I spent about 30 hours this weekend working on the tank (including the 3 trips to Home Depot, 2 to Lowe's and 1 to the LFS - for a ping pong match). The plumbing and equipment cabinet are now complete.

The final concept rendering for the plumbing:

Vu4XKi2.jpg
Vu4XKi2.jpg

The actual sump. I had to make a couple of extra turns, but it all worked out really well.

ZRq8uiP.jpg

Here it is with the equipment and ATO in place:

c2DHwIF.jpg

aKfZ8Wg.jpg

I then moved on to the right side of the stand and decided to redo the storage cabinet.

This is what it looked like previously, where I had velcroed most of the wires to the top, where they were covered up by that hinged panel:

QdYnKEE.jpg

I decided to follow the lead of others and build a shelf:

AWzK95T.jpg

I then put a cover on it, where I plan to mount a 10" tablet that will run my Apex:

RBiW9ZG.jpg

The next step is to do the aquascaping, which I'll try to knock out this week.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is coming along great! Looking forward to seeing the scape!

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hit a speed bump yesterday. I went to leak test the piping and had a pretty significant leak from the emergency overflow into the sump. I unscrewed it to check the o-ring and it just popped right off. Now I'm waiting on a response from Red Sea to get a replacement pipe before I can do anything.

IMG_1478350241.562066.jpg

IMG_1478350253.324358.jpg

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the rockscape last week and the 170 arrived today. Here is the result.

IMG_1478837560.835349.jpg

IMG_1478837589.633398.jpg

IMG_1478837600.372840.jpg

IMG_1478837610.347476.jpg

IMG_1478837620.544003.jpg

I'm now waiting on the 450's replacement pipe and 170's threaded fittings from Red Sea, as well as a 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings from BRS. Once I receive those, I'll finish up the plumbing and fill these things up.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good-looking scape!!

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I was able to set up the new Radion for the 170 on Apex Fusion, add the iPad controller, and rinse/add the sand. Pretty productive evening while the wife had a girls night.

IMG_1478929440.211302.jpg

I used Tropic Eden reef flakes. Do NOT believe the people who say it doesn't need rinsed! I spent about 15-20 minutes per bag rinsing it just to get it to a cloudy state. It was pure milk when I started.

IMG_1478929302.027640.jpg

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed this guy on order with the LFS (Worlds Under Water). My QT is already running, so he'll stay there under observation until my DT is running and has fully cycled.

IMG_1479161459.982047.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the wrong part from Red Sea, so I'm unable to completely finish the plumbing, but I continue to work to connect the new tank to the 450 sump.

I also received the rhinopias yesterday. I went ahead and added him to my QT so he'll be good and quarantined when my tank is ready. Surprisingly, he ate a packaged silverside this morning. So that's a win.

IMG_1479489122.548304.jpg

IMG_1479489136.816554.jpg

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saga continues.

I worked throughout the weekend to finish up the plumbing (pics below). I then filled up the 170 and plugged in my equipment. My GFCI started tripping every few hours. After extensive research, I realized yesterday it is most likely the Apex USB style connectors leaking current. I shuffled them around to different plugs and it's now been about 18 hours without tripping. Yay!

The correct Red Sea part finally arrived yesterday (Monday). Yay!

So, now that the equipment has power, and everything is plumbed, it's time to turn on the Vectra. Apex on....nothing. I start fiddling, and it starts flashing a red and white light. I spend 2 hours following troubleshooting instructions online, to no avail. I'll head to the LFS when they open to troubleshoot the Vectra. Boooo!

In the meantime, I'll continue filling up the DT. 1-2 more trash cans and I'll be there.

So, here are some pics of the finished up tank. Note that the fake coral in the 170 is required to keep the seahorses bright yellow. Once some algae forms, it won't look so neon and fake. I'll put a carpet of GSP on the bare bottom.

Under the 450:
IMG_1479826613.533549.jpg

Under the 170:
IMG_1479826630.749162.jpg

Behind the two tanks:
IMG_1479827150.165414.jpg

Fill it up!
IMG_1479826702.354760.jpg

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS, Worlds Under Water, and Ecotech were kind enough to work together and get me a new M1 today, so I was able to get it all running.

Here's the system:

IMG_1479852631.030202.jpg

@Broadfield I did put a bead of silicone on 3 sides between the tanks. Thanks for that suggestion.

Let the cycle begin.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back