July 17, 2011 Meeting

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with this ^^^^^, but instead number all corals 1 through however many corals are there and draw numbers out of a hat so that way its all luck of the draw on what number you draw to get that coral and anybody can trade frag for frag on the side too.. but it doesn't matter with me as i have none to trade so anyway will be fine just a suggestion

Last edited:

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what about the newbies that don't have corals to frag. I can bring some free corals frags for the newbies to trade or keep for themselves.

Also was thinking on fraging one of my strip chalice to raffle off to help cover the food cost. What the borad think about that. Lmk know so I can frag it and give it time to heal.
f1c13a5d.jpg

This eye will be fraged
dab8e206.jpg

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's bad about xenia? I've been wanting it. I like the white wavy look of it. Tell me what will talk me out of it! Oh, and same with GSP. I have some. What's it doing that I don't want it to do?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can be good. I had it all over the back wall of my old tank and finally tamed it. that said, I did tell the Mrs that it will not be going into this 180.

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Jay - Dirty Santa? We always called it a white elephant swap - and "played" with christmas presents that one wouldn't even re-gift. Everyone draws a number - #1 picks a gift (coral), #2 can take what #1 has (and #1 has to pick a new coral) or pick a coral themselves, #3 can pick #1 or #2s coral or pick a new one, and so on... or that may not be what Jay was talking about. That would be fun!

NeedBiggerTank

MTRC Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the corals would have to be in brown bags - in other words, like gifts, they would have to be wrapped up, so you have no idea what you are picking. No body opens up their goodies until everyone has a "gift". But there are many variations - one is where everyone gets a numbered package. Everyone opens theirs up - then #1 can keep theirs or trade with anyone else (and you can't say "no")... then #2 same thing - keep or trade... all the way to the last person.

undercontrolj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the dirty Santa idea. I would say we might want to separate SPS and softies so that people that don't want SPS don't end up with something they don't/can't keep. Just a thought.

mapn4reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
poolkeeper1

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's bad about xenia? I've been wanting it. I like the white wavy look of it. Tell me what will talk me out of it! Oh, and same with GSP. I have some. What's it doing that I don't want it to do?
Zenia and GSP are both envasive corals that spread and will kill any other coral they come up against, Either by stinging or just smothering them. Both grow very fast and can take over a tank in no time in the right conditions, I never said there was anything wrong with them just most people do not want these in their tanks if they keep SPS as they can kill very exspensive corals in no time flat. JMO
Bill

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what about the newbies that don't have corals to frag. I can bring some free corals frags for the newbies to trade or keep for themselves.

Also was thinking on fraging one of my strip chalice to raffle off to help cover the food cost. What the borad think about that. Lmk know so I can frag it and give it time to heal.
f1c13a5d.jpg

This eye will be fraged
dab8e206.jpg

Me likey this idea. All I have is a bunch of algae if anyone is interested? LOL

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not see this thread? https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/mtrc-trading-selling-forum/63875-fs-corals-live-rock-fish.html
BTW, I'll give you as much as you want for FREE, but might not be worth the gas. GSP doesn't grow near as fast.

Yes I did and by the time I got a chance to read it the entire contents were pending. This time of year is brutal for what I do for a living--I miss a lot of what goes by me! But now you're scaring me. So what's a coral that might have the same properties(white, soft looking) but isn't so much of a hog for tank space? If there is one. Thanks for filling me in, guys!

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree...not saying any coral is crap.....but all I have are acros and chalices and if I bring a handful of decent stuff and get drawn last I might end up with a not so fair selection to choose from......of course however if I have plenty of a certain item and I feel generous that day I might just trade for something I really don't want so someone else can enjoy ;)

i dont think thats a fair way to swap... sorry :( frank speeking from here out... dont be offended... just consider...

if someone brings in a bunch of "crap" and they get drawn first... they score... if someone brings in a bunch of "top shelf" and get drawn last... they get screwed...

so... i think just treat it like baseball cards... bring what you want... and trade with whoever you want... if you dont like the trade.. turn it down...

this allows at least the chance for those to barter... 2 point of sale equals 1 decent piece.. etc...etc...etc...

then again... maybe im just overthinking it..

(like im going to have anything to trade anyway ;)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it goes without saying we all have our own opinions on what we like and dont like. But, some folks dont have the right equipment, filter,sump,lighting etc. to hold sps, so there are plenty of other corals that are acceptable (non invasive) like, toadstools, palys, zoas, leathers, mushrooms etc. And some of us newbs or those with less $ like the xenia and GSP, only because we know we can keep it alive. My point is, it would be cool if all these were available, but that is not likely. I have won some awesome frags, since joining the club, but they are all sps, and everyday, I look into my tank with a slight feeling of, "god, I hope they make it", being that my tank is only 5 months old. So coming up with a truly fair and balanced trade/swap for everyone is going to be hard to accomplish. But hey, I plan on having fun regardless....

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good idea!....guess I shoulda finished reading thread...:)

How about this (a combo of both):
  • Everyone that is bringing frags to trade must donate one frag to a central table - put everyone that brought frags name in a pot - draw the names, one at a time, go to the table and select a coral, next person drawn goes, and so on
  • The rest of the frags you bring, you trade one-on-one with other members
Just a thought.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back