Jumping barrier - Six Line wrasse

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
87
Reaction score
41
Location
Sheboygan, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am setting up a 30 gallon tank soft coral tank, and I think I will have a pair of clowns and a six-line wrasse for fish. I have a gremlin in my house, however:
IMG_0695.JPG


He looks like a housecat, yes, but I assure you he an physical embodiment of destruction. So I will need to build a canopy for the 30 gallon.

I will incorporate a lot of ventilation on the sides and front of the canopy to minimize humidity and heat build up inside, but can leave the back mostly open, since the tank is by the wall. I will want a jumping barrier along the back, however, to make sure any fish doing their Poseidon missile imitation will bounce back into the tank.

Any idea how tall a barrier should be to keep a six-line from jumping over it?

Thanks,
-pg
 
If you are building with wood, I would just staple mesh netting over the entire back to be safe. I have seen them jump over a foot into the air!
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of information I need!
 
Hi all,

I am setting up a 30 gallon tank soft coral tank, and I think I will have a pair of clowns and a six-line wrasse for fish. I have a gremlin in my house, however:
IMG_0695.JPG


He looks like a housecat, yes, but I assure you he an physical embodiment of destruction. So I will need to build a canopy for the 30 gallon.

I will incorporate a lot of ventilation on the sides and front of the canopy to minimize humidity and heat build up inside, but can leave the back mostly open, since the tank is by the wall. I will want a jumping barrier along the back, however, to make sure any fish doing their Poseidon missile imitation will bounce back into the tank.

Any idea how tall a barrier should be to keep a six-line from jumping over it?

Thanks,
-pg
Easy way;
Get a mesh lid! That way they can’t do their Poseidon moves in the first place.

Also I recommend avoiding the Sixline Wrasse - they’ll become nightmares in your tank size :)
 
Easy way;
Get a mesh lid! That way they can’t do their Poseidon moves in the first place.

Also I recommend avoiding the Sixline Wrasse - they’ll become nightmares in your tank size :)
The sixline is my favorite fish and, since the tank will be mostly zoas and they are known to eat zoa eating nudibranchs, it seems like the ideal fish for my setup.

I know they can be jerks as they get older, which is why I was thinking of a pair of clowns would be the only other fish in the tank, hoping that the clowns would be scrappy enough to hold their own, especially as there would be two of them.

Do you think the sixline would be too much for a pair of clowns, specifically? Again, no other fish.
 
The sixline is my favorite fish and, since the tank will be mostly zoas and they are known to eat zoa eating nudibranchs, it seems like the ideal fish for my setup.

I know they can be jerks as they get older, which is why I was thinking of a pair of clowns would be the only other fish in the tank, hoping that the clowns would be scrappy enough to hold their own, especially as there would be two of them.

Do you think the sixline would be too much for a pair of clowns, specifically? Again, no other fish.
It’s less likely but knowing their habits it’s always a risk - I have seen them stabbing the eyes out of Damsels.

They’re not just jerks, they are literally the spawn of hell. They love poking the eyes out of other fish.
 
It’s less likely but knowing their habits it’s always a risk - I have seen them stabbing the eyes out of Damsels.

They’re not just jerks, they are literally the spawn of hell. They love poking the eyes out of other fish.

Thanks for the info.

How are they on inverts, in your experience? Snails, crabs, cleaner shrimp, etc?
 
Put them all I together should be fine. Clowns can more than hold their own. My clown pair are by far the meanest fish in my tank.
 
Thanks for the info.

How are they on inverts, in your experience? Snails, crabs, cleaner shrimp, etc?
Mine never touched shrimp but definitely went for damsels and anything added after him - they’re one fish that until they die you can’t add anything after.
 
Put them all I together should be fine. Clowns can more than hold their own. My clown pair are by far the meanest fish in my tank.

Mine never touched shrimp but definitely went for damsels and anything added after him - they’re one fish that until they die you can’t add anything after.

If I do decide to try a pair of clowns and a sixline, I will definitely start with the clowns.
 
The sixline is my favorite fish and, since the tank will be mostly zoas and they are known to eat zoa eating nudibranchs, it seems like the ideal fish for my setup.

I know they can be jerks as they get older, which is why I was thinking of a pair of clowns would be the only other fish in the tank, hoping that the clowns would be scrappy enough to hold their own, especially as there would be two of them.

Do you think the sixline would be too much for a pair of clowns, specifically? Again, no other fish.
I have a sixline, he is peaceful with everyone. Likes to occasionally chase my blenny around but thats it, he keeps to himself. I also dont have a cover on the tank, he only jumped into the back chamber once and that was it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new