Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so for over the past year or so I’ve tried to keep cleaner and fire shrimp in my reef tank, but for some reason I can’t keep them alive for any longer than a few months. It always comes to me checking out the tank one morning, and seeing what looks like a molted exoskeleton and the shrimp never showing themselves again (I know shrimp may hide after molting, but the last time I had a shrimp die was very early on this year, and have not seen it come out or show any sign of itself once). I would really, REALLY like to have another one of these since I think they are really fun creatures, but I really don’t want to waste my money in the event that the same thing happens again. Is there anything I can do to prevent this seemingly premature shrimp death? I’ve also been considering coral banded shrimp since they’re an entirely different animal and seem quite popular, but I’m not sure if one would get along with a cleaner or fire shrimp (I would like to keep both a cleaner and fire shrimp, but will replace one with a cbs if chances of success are good enough), given all of the mixed experiences I’ve read. Are the chances of successful compatibility good?Any/every/all advice for these questions is very much appreciated!

- Diego

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so for over the past year or so I’ve tried to keep cleaner and fire shrimp in my reef tank, but for some reason I can’t keep them alive for any longer than a few months. It always comes to me checking out the tank one morning, and seeing what looks like a molted exoskeleton and the shrimp never showing themselves again (I know shrimp may hide after molting, but the last time I had a shrimp die was very early on this year, and have not seen it come out or show any sign of itself once). I would really, REALLY like to have another one of these since I think they are really fun creatures, but I really don’t want to waste my money in the event that the same thing happens again. Is there anything I can do to prevent this seemingly premature shrimp death? I’ve also been considering coral banded shrimp since they’re an entirely different animal and seem quite popular, but I’m not sure if one would get along with a cleaner or fire shrimp (I would like to keep both a cleaner and fire shrimp, but will replace one with a cbs if chances of success are good enough), given all of the mixed experiences I’ve read. Are the chances of successful compatibility good?Any/every/all advice for these questions is very much appreciated!

- Diego
I would do the standard questions.

1. Have you monitored your parameters? What is your salinity, nitrates, and Phosphates?
2. Have you done an ICP test to see if you have any hidden nasties in your water?
3. do you have proper nutrients (alk) for the shrimp to properly molt and replace its exoskeleton?

Generally shrimp are set it and forget it and will clean up and thrive on excess feedings. They usually outlast my fish and corals.

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the standard questions.

1. Have you monitored your parameters? What is your salinity, nitrates, and Phosphates?
2. Have you done an ICP test to see if you have any hidden nasties in your water?
3. do you have proper nutrients (alk) for the shrimp to properly molt and replace its exoskeleton?

Generally shrimp are set it and forget it and will clean up and thrive on excess feedings. They usually outlast my fish and corals.
Nitrates are looking a little high (10 ppm), so looks like it’s time to clean out the canister filter. Other than that, everything seems pretty normal (salinity = 1.024, alk = 13.7 dkh). I’ve unfortunately never had a chance to do an ICP test since they’ve always been pretty expensive. Hopefully cleaning the canister filter does it (since I did a water change just last week and make a point to clean out my skimmer every week)

- Diego

jolthoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are looking a little high (10 ppm), so looks like it’s time to clean out the canister filter. Other than that, everything seems pretty normal (salinity = 1.024, alk = 13.7 dkh). I’ve unfortunately never had a chance to do an ICP test since they’ve always been pretty expensive. Hopefully cleaning the canister filter does it (since I did a water change just last week and make a point to clean out my skimmer every week)

- Diego
Alk 13.7 is pretty high! There might be something going on with that and their molting. Also, have you checked calcium levels?

Molting is a very sensitive time for shrimp. They could also be attacked by something in your tank while molting and recovering-- just a guess, but do you have a large brittle star? That could be a suspect. It used to be thought that iodide levels were important for crustacean molting, but I believe that may have changed. Worth looking into.

OP
OP
A

Acanthurus1517

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 13.7 is pretty high! There might be something going on with that and their molting. Also, have you checked calcium levels?

Molting is a very sensitive time for shrimp. They could also be attacked by something in your tank while molting and recovering-- just a guess, but do you have a large brittle star? That could be a suspect. It used to be thought that iodide levels were important for crustacean molting, but I believe that may have changed. Worth looking into.
Yeah I’ll definitely wait a while on the alk to so the corals can soak it all in and the levels will drop. Interestingly, the calcium levels are on something of a flipside being a bit lower at about 420 ppm, so looks like I should dose some calcium so the levels even out, and I can just wait for both to lower a bit from there (Also for reference the pH is at about 8.1)

As for the brittle star question, I actually instead have a decent-sized banded serpent star that I got before introducing the most recent shrimp I acquired, but she wasn’t a likely culprit of the shrimp disappearance imo, as the day I realized the shrimp was missing the star didn’t look any fatter/more swollen than usual

I too was lead to believe that iodide affected crustacean molting, but other factors definitely very seem worth researching indeed

- Diego

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can no longer keep shrimp or crabs. As soon as they molt, the bristleworms eat them. I think bristle worms can smell them at that time as they are very vulnerable. I think thats your problem.

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Can't seem to keep a cleaner alive for more than a month or 2. :(

I just added a new one and posted asking about proper calcium levels (mine are at 500).

@Acanthurus1517 - Did you find out anything else you can share about this? I LOVE cleaners too and want to keep one alive and happy!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can no longer keep shrimp or crabs. As soon as they molt, the bristleworms eat them. I think bristle worms can smell them at that time as they are very vulnerable. I think thats your problem.
Interesting -- I have a ton of bristleworms and my skunk cleaner shrimp molts every month.

So far no problems for the 6 months I've had the shrimp but if it suddenly goes missing one day,,, hmmm...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When bristle worms get big, they will eat Godzilla whole. :anguished-face:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back