Just bought a biocube...here goes nothing

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been completely obsessed with salt water tanks for close to a year now. I have kept fresh water tanks for a while, but nothing compares to the beauty of corals. I finally acted upon my obsession with salt water set ups and bought a biocube.
Along with the tank, i plan on using a filter rack (InTank) with a filter sponge in the first section, Purigen in the second, and Chemi Pure in the third. I was also thinking of adding some activated carbon in place of the filter sponge in the return pump section. I purchased the coralife protein skimmer and UV sterilizer with it.
I would really appreciate some feedback / suggestions on how to make this set up the best it can be.

Thank!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty side of the hobby. Patience and stability are my suggestions on how to make it the best it can be.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been completely obsessed with salt water tanks for close to a year now. I have kept fresh water tanks for a while, but nothing compares to the beauty of corals. I finally acted upon my obsession with salt water set ups and bought a biocube.
Along with the tank, i plan on using a filter rack (InTank) with a filter sponge in the first section, Purigen in the second, and Chemi Pure in the third. I was also thinking of adding some activated carbon in place of the filter sponge in the return pump section. I purchased the coralife protein skimmer and UV sterilizer with it.
I would really appreciate some feedback / suggestions on how to make this set up the best it can be.

Thank!
Did you get the 32 LED lights?

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not technically needed, I love the benefits a skimmer gives. Alternatively, some kind of biomedia could be great too. You could place it in the 2nd chamber instead of purigen, as there really isn't much need for purigen and chemi-pure blue both. A lot of people feel that UV sterilizers aren't needed either, but they do have their benefits.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not technically needed, I love the benefits a skimmer gives. You may not need purigen And chemipure blue both, so you could potentially put a nano skimmer in the second chamber. Alternatively, some kind of biomedia could be great too.
I purchased a small Coralife protein skimmer and was planning on placing it, along with a heater if it fits, in the first chamber. What type of biomedia would you suggest? I read that live rock can act as a nitrate factory if not cleaned often

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a small Coralife protein skimmer and was planning on placing it, along with a heater if it fits, in the first chamber. What type of biomedia would you suggest? I read that live rock can act as a nitrate factory if not cleaned often

I know, I edited my post after I reread yours. I missed that bit, whoops. As far as biomedia, I like the marinepure spheres or blocks.

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would ditch the coralife "skimmer" look into other nano skimmers to fit back there. I believe the ghost skimmer fits in the back. The one from coralife is garbage, IMO, unless they've updated it.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I edited my post after I reread yours. I missed that bit, whoops. As far as biomedia, I like the marinepure spheres or blocks.
Out of curiosity, why did you say that both Purigen and Chemi Pure were overkill. I thought that to be the standard in Biocube set ups.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would ditch the coralife "skimmer" look into other nano skimmers to fit back there. I believe the ghost skimmer fits in the back. The one from coralife is garbage, IMO, unless they've updated it.
I have read that as well. I was thinking i would use the Coralife skimmer for the time being while i have very little waste in my tank. I plan on upgrading once the need for a larger one increases.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why did you say that both Purigen and Chemi Pure were overkill. I thought that to be the standard in Biocube set ups.

Chemipure blue serves the same purpose. It is a mix of carbon and another synthetic media similar to purigen that removes phosphate and nitrate. The problem with Coralife/Oceanic skimmers is that they use a wooden airstone to produce bubbles. Naturally, this decomposes overtime, so you have to replace it periodically to keep it effective. More modern designs use a spinning needle to create bubbles.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure blue serves the same purpose. It is a mix of carbon and another synthetic media similar to purigen that removes phosphate and nitrate. The problem with Coralife/Oceanic skimmers is that they use a wooden airstone to produce bubbles. Naturally, this decomposes overtime, so you have to replace it periodically to keep it effective. More modern designs use a spinning needle to create bubbles.
That's actually good to know. There is nothing i hate more than having to replace 20 things every month or two to keep things running smoothly. As it is i will have to replace the Purigen or Chemi Pure, whichever one i decide to use. If I were to use a different protein skimmer, which would you suggest?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that as well. I was thinking i would use the Coralife skimmer for the time being while i have very little waste in my tank. I plan on upgrading once the need for a larger one increases.
Personally, I've had good luck with the Coralife skimmer and like that it fits with an Eheim heater in chamber 1. Will take a few days to adjust it properly to get good skim. As for media, a lot of us like the Marine Pure balls, coupled with filter floss (rather than a sponge) Purigen/Purfiltrum and Chemi-Pure Blue. Of course, you'll need a refractometer and various test kits e.g. Salifert and Red Sea are popular.

I've had luck with most types of LPS and soft corals; haven't tried SPS and believe the led lights are not powerful enough for them.

As for upgrades over stock equipment, I would recommend the Sicce 1.5 pump ($65) for your filter. It provides and extra 100 gph and is very quiet. A lot of reefers also use a Hydor circulation pump placed below the stock outlet for pushing water to the intakes.

Good luck

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually good to know. There is nothing i hate more than having to replace 20 things every month or two to keep things running smoothly. As it is i will have to replace the Purigen or Chemi Pure, whichever one i decide to use. If I were to use a different protein skimmer, which would you suggest?

I'm using an Aquaticlife 115 Nano on my 14 gallon right now. It's a bit more budget oriented, but it works fine. It will spew microbubbles for the first two weeks though, which can be incredibly annoying. Tunze makes a good nano skimmer, and Reef Octopus skimmers are thought to be top of the line. It's incredibly important to make sure that it fits in your chamber though. Measure it to be sure. From what I've read, the AquaticLife should fit in the second chamber of a biocube with some slight modding. Unfortunately, you will likely have to do some slight handy work to make any skimmer fit, since only the Corallife is actually designed for the tank. Hang-on-back skimmers are another, though less popular, option as well.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I've had good luck with the Coralife skimmer and like that it fits with an Eheim heater in chamber 1. Will take a few days to adjust it properly to get good skim. As for media, a lot of us like the Marine Pure balls, coupled with filter floss (rather than a sponge) Purigen/Purfiltrum and Chemi-Pure Blue. Of course, you'll need a refractometer and various test kits e.g. Salifert and Red Sea are popular.

I've had luck with most types of LPS and soft corals; haven't tried SPS and believe the led lights are not powerful enough for them.

As for upgrades over stock equipment, I would recommend the Sicce 1.5 pump ($65) for your filter. It provides and extra 100 gph and is very quiet. A lot of reefers also use a Hydor circulation pump placed below the stock outlet for pushing water to the intakes.

Good luck
So, would the ideal set up for you consist of the heater and Skimmer in the first chamber, the In Tank rack (filter floss on the top, Purigen in the middle, and Chemi Pure on the bottom) in the second chamber, and the Marine Pure Balls in the third chamber? As well as replacing the return pump for the filter and adding a circulation pump. Also, how often do you suggest replaing the Marine Pure Balls?

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would the ideal set up for you consist of the heater and Skimmer in the first chamber, the In Tank rack (filter floss on the top, Purigen in the middle, and Chemi Pure on the bottom) in the second chamber, and the Marine Pure Balls in the third chamber? As well as replacing the return pump for the filter and adding a circulation pump. Also, how often do you suggest replaing the Marine Pure Balls?

That would be very solid! Also, you don't replace the balls. They are essentially surface area and provide the same purpose as live rock: for beneficial bacteria to grow on and break down organics. The balls allow you to get away with not having as much live rock in the display. However, the more the merrier.

OP
OP
RonSimmonz

RonSimmonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be very solid! Also, you don't replace the balls. They are essentially surface area and provide the same purpose as live rock: for beneficial bacteria to grow on and break down organics. The balls allow you to get away with not having as much live rock in the display. However, the more the merrier.
Could the balls eventually be a breeding ground for nitrate? I read that live rock can have this affect in the Biocube when placed in the media chambers

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the balls eventually be a breeding ground for nitrate? I read that live rock can have this affect in the Biocube when placed in the media chambers

In my experience it hasn't happened. Contrary, some people have reported that the Marinepure media can eventually harbor bacteria that actually breaks down nitrate. It's all anecdotal evidence. The nitrate factory claim has been mostly directed towards the old style of plastic bioballs.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, Purigen is a synthetic Ammonia, NO2, and NO3 remover; Chemipure Blue is activated carbon; and Chemipure Elite is activated carbon and GFO
Think that would work well; I know several reefers who have this set up. I use the poorly shaped stock shelf with MP balls, some Seachem Matrix I had laying around and Purigen and Chemi-Pure Blue on the shelves - I think the latter two have certain chemical properties which are important.

And my understanding is that the Marine Pure balls don't need replacing unless the pores fill up and thereby lose some functionality; you can rinse them in tank water when you do a change if you want to or just leave them alone as long as excessive detritus doesn't build up around them. Pretty much like live rock, and apparently they have much greater surface area per measure. They can also be sterilized I believe.

Back