Just curious

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious. I got an open brain coral and sry I don’t know the real name of it and it looks like this, I mean I’ve only had it for a day but I am just curious if it’s going through stress just right now, or if something could be wrong. Yes parameters are ok, and yes I haven’t cleaned my sand, doing that today.

D18CD1BB-1445-4140-B206-716F1D5271B4.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coral in pic the actual coral you got ? I don't think that's an open brain.

Blastonator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help with the name but I can say it looks good, brains look different at different times of the day. So long as the flesh gets puffy and has no skeleton poking through the top of it, that's what you want. You will see feelers come out of the center sometimes too. Mine will open up and put out feelers right after I feed it reef roids. I'm not sure if that means it's still hungry, maybe someone else can chime in on that but it does look a lot different that it usually looks. At night it shrivels but after my lights have been on for an hour or so it looks normal again.

Also if you use a siphon hose to clean your sand bed, keep it away from that brain because it'll suck right into the hose if you get too close.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coral in pic the actual coral you got ? I don't think that's an open brain.
Yes that is the coral I got. They called it an open brain :/ idk I’m really not trusting any local fish stores in Michigan and there are not many at all to begin with and the only good one is 1 1/2 hours away

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help with the name but I can say it looks good, brains look different at different times of the day. So long as the flesh gets puffy and has no skeleton poking through the top of it, that's what you want. You will see feelers come out of the center sometimes too. Mine will open up and put out feelers right after I feed it reef roids. I'm not sure if that means it's still hungry, maybe someone else can chime in on that but it does look a lot different that it usually looks. At night it shrivels but after my lights have been on for an hour or so it looks normal again.

Also if you use a siphon hose to clean your sand bed, keep it away from that brain because it'll suck right into the hose if you get too close.
It ate really well and took the same food you are feeding also, it perks right up right away and gets puffy and the feeders come out all over and seems happy.

Blastonator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd call that an open brain coral FWIW. I just wouldn't know exactly what it's called. Trachyphylia is a brain coral. If you Google open brain coral a bunch of corals that look similar to this coral show up.

If it's not an open brain/trachyphylia brain coral, what would you call it?

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd call that an open brain coral FWIW. I just wouldn't know exactly what it's called. Trachyphylia is a brain coral. If you Google open brain coral a bunch of corals that look similar to this coral show up.

If it's not an open brain/trachyphylia brain coral, what would you call it?
I’m just sticking with calling it open brain, but like I said so many metro detroit area fish stores have lied to me so far.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool ! I didn't know open brains looked a lot different. We need a coral id expert !

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, I just really don’t want to loose it already only having it for 2 days now.

OP
OP
Turtlewax2009

Turtlewax2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grand Rapids LFS are probably the best it gets as far as LFS in Michigan. Grew up in Novi area, live in GR now.
Yea I go to preuss pets the most for everything, it’s just the drive there sucks and I’m in Madison Heights. So not much around anymore becides stingray bay, there is one other one but those are the only 2 that are remotely close.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I go to preuss pets the most for everything, it’s just the drive there sucks and I’m in Madison Heights. So not much around anymore becides stingray bay, there is one other one but those are the only 2 that are remotely close.

You should check out Cherry Corals in Livonia. But they are open 9:00-4:00

Back