Just got a Hawaiian Green Lionfish. How can I get it to eat?

what do you recommend I feed the lion it’s still small.

• Live guppies

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Frozen shrimp/fish/squid

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Pellets/flakes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • All the above

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! I learned something new today that did not require me getting electrocuted, something dying, or something leaking!
You know - A wise guy learn from his/hers own misstake - but a realy smart one learn by others :)

Sincerely Lasse

Todd Jacobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the beach and managed to caught a Green Hawaiian Lionfish that is supper cool. I also caught 3 white spotted puffers and 3 small raccoon butterfly’s. What should I feed the lion will it only eat live fish if so what kind (guppies?). Also what do you recommend I feed to get my raccoon butterfly’s to eat maybe a clam on a half shell? All the fish are separated so no need to worry about them fighting/ eating each other. It was so much fun snorkeling and catching them with my scoop nets I even saw a black tang and flame angel that was to fast.
The best bet what i always di at my shop when i owned a LFS was to throw some live guppies but i always liked to use glass or ghost shrimp in live ( healthier) and as the lion is chasing them start adding some frozen brine cubes or krill and as the lion is in feeding frenzy of ghost shrimp if they take the frozen your good usally once they have that taste of frozen krill they take it Try not to let it hit the sand bed the more it floats the more the fish will accept it make it look as live as possible

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have lived here in Hawaii my whole life and I plan on keeping one of the 3 puffers and one of the 3 butterflys. I only caught more then one so I can give the rest away to friends with tanks. I also plan on keeping the Lionfish if I can get it to eat fingers crossed.
I grew up in Hawaii and used to catch my own fish for my tank too. Put an Ulua in your tank and thank me. :p

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it gut loaded ghost shrimp. You do not want to feed it live fish, especially gold fish - their scales will clog them up and kill your fish. Ghost shrimp are the best option until on frozen.

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably went to jail for collecting fish in Hawaii and can’t post bail.

Jk you are allowed to catch fish for your tank as long as you use hand nets under 3 ft in length and tank fish at the correct size

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fish doing, I wouldn't mind getting a Hawaiian green. You don't see them offered that often, most people have never seen a mature one and how awesome they can look. I have a spot for one.

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fish doing, I wouldn't mind getting a Hawaiian green. You don't see them offered that often, most people have never seen a mature one and how awesome they can look. I have a spot for one.
He’s doing great I got him onto eating goldfish but I felt that the 29 gallon what two small for him so I gave him to my friend that has a 75 gallon

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have lived here in Hawaii my whole life and I plan on keeping one of the 3 puffers and one of the 3 butterflys. I only caught more then one so I can give the rest away to friends with tanks. I also plan on keeping the Lionfish if I can get it to eat fingers crossed.

Can I be one of your “friends with tanks” lol.

Didn’t know you could catch fish in Hawaii for you tank!! That’s really cool. Do you have to have a permit???

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I be one of your “friends with tanks” lol.

Didn’t know you could catch fish in Hawaii for you tank!! That’s really cool. Do you have to have a permit???
Well for commercial yes you need a permit but as long as you don’t sell what you caught no. You can only however catch fish for your tank using hand nets less than 3 ft in length and diameter and only take fish that are at legal size. For most aquarium fish here it’s 2-3in + some are more.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for commercial yes you need a permit but as long as you don’t sell what you caught no. You can only however catch fish for your tank using hand nets less than 3 ft in length and diameter and only take fish that are at legal size. For most aquarium fish here it’s 2-3in + some are more.

Wow! Thats really cool!!
I didn’t know that.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back