OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main hobby is bonsai, and it seems to have a lot of crossover with reefers. So far I have been most affirming to those who have made the decision to get out of reefing. In that group I feel like the only guy who hasn’t seen Godzilla yet and don’t know why everyone else is running the other way.
Very cool with the Bonsai hobby ! I’ll bet you have a few aggressive fish …….. Godzilla doesn’t stand a chance. Lol. It’s all good, interesting post. Thx.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've talked to a few people, but I have never made a reefer out of anyone. One of my other hobbies though, hunting, now that's a different story. Going out this weekend with a first time hunter. 20210917_073246.jpg 20210917_073235.jpg

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a lot of people back in my FW days. I don't think I've ever converted anyone to Saltwater. However, my future father-in-law is leaning that way, but hasn't pulled the trigger. My actual father has been out of the hobby since the early 90s and "had the bug" again now that he's retired and has seen my tank. I can't take credit for that yet.

Honestly, I don't want the responsibility of converting anyone. Conversations with my future father-in-law now sound like I'm trying to talk him out of it. I think the issue with this hobby is that you have to be really passionate to be successful. EVERYONE likes looking at a nice reef tank. But most don't have any idea just how much time/effort goes into it. It's a borderline obsession. So unless I see someone that I think is on that level, I generally just pepper them with the things they have to take into consideration rather than push them in that direction. If they really want to, they'll do it anyway. I know nobody could talk me out of it.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've talked to a few people, but I have never made a reefer out of anyone. One of my other hobbies though, hunting, now that's a different story. Going out this weekend with a first time hunter. 20210917_073246.jpg 20210917_073235.jpg
Nature is amazing! Whether coral reefs or a mountain side we’re blessed to have that passion. Have a great time. Be safe.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister helped me acclimate some corals and add a few fish and inverts to my tank. She absolutely wants to set up a tank herself (she had a 55g freshwater for a long time that she loved). She is, however, "animal'd out" right now, as she has two dogs (the third passed on Monday), two cats, a guinea pig, and a bearded dragon.

I've got an upgrade coming Monday, and there's a good chance she's going to inherit some of my stuff, which just might kick-start her into the hobby even while she currently hosts a small zoo. Haha.

Otherwise, though, I have very little real-world influence. I mostly keep to myself.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not influential at all.

My friends want my job, but don’t want to put in the work. Even after I insist what I do isn’t magic, suggest training resources, offer to provide references, and even offer opportunities for some of them!

Similarly, they love my aquarium, but don’t want to put in the work.

LOL. It’s sad because it is a fun and deeply satisfying hobby. Sitting back relaxing on the sofa staring at the tank… even with my friggin bacterial bloom I still sit back and enjoy the ride.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool with the Bonsai hobby ! I’ll bet you have a few aggressive fish …….. Godzilla doesn’t stand a chance. Lol. It’s all good, interesting post. Thx.
Thanks. Plenty of trees, but still working on stocking the tank. You can find my bonsai obsession here and on Instagram, linked from my site.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main hobby is bonsai, and it seems to have a lot of crossover with reefers. So far I have been most affirming to those who have made the decision to get out of reefing. In that group I feel like the only guy who hasn’t seen Godzilla yet and don’t know why everyone else is running the other way.
I tried bonsai once, it takes months to grow seeds into the smallest of sprouts in my airing cupboard, darkest place but warm, cork mush to hold moisture,. Maybe it's a thing with people like us, long term pleasures

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inadvertently got a couple friends into reefing but sadly none of them stuck with it normally due to moving or a new gf that didn't like how expensive the hobby can be.
I think biggest cost is time, everyone has all the gear no idea approach, buy buy buy costs £hundreds and £thosands then just gives up, its very sad to see

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think biggest cost is time, everyone has all the gear no idea approach, buy buy buy costs £hundreds and £thosands then just gives up, its very sad to see
For me the bottom most, bottom line is that to put up with the$costs$ and attention demanded by this hobby, at least for me, you’ve got to have an inner passion for the beauty and challenge of reef keeping. Can’t imagine our Family Room without the tank! :)

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I can’t help but wonder what simple “tweaks” an experienced reefer would make on my system that I just simply don't know to do. “Yep, you have all the things, they’re all hooked up, but …”

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the bottom most, bottom line is that to put up with the$costs$ and attention demanded by this hobby, at least for me, you’ve got to have an inner passion for the beauty and challenge of reef keeping. Can’t imagine our Family Room without the tank! :)
Every one says the cost? No it's the person, you set up the aquarium at your own cost, you know how much to spend. £500 max..Done...big aquarium, nemos I get full setup easy. Ok now what do I add ha ha

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be a first time father some time next year and I am fairly certain they will want their own tank when they are old enough . Twist my arm ........... another reef tank . Sure I guess if I have to hahahahhahahaa

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be a first time father some time next year and I am fairly certain they will want their own tank when they are old enough . Twist my arm ........... another reef tank . Sure I guess if I have to hahahahhahahaa
“Twisting your arm” ? First congrats!!! Second, don’t beat yourself up……You’re doing this for the children. Lol ;)

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time I was influential. I started my first sw reef tank in 2001 in college at FSU. Shortly thereafter, a couple friends in college started their own sw tanks. More friends of ours who were in school at UF came to visit and saw my tank and then several of them got into the hobby as well. I'd say at one point probably about 7 or so people had been influenced by me. I still have a version of that tank going today, but only 1 or 2 of those other guys are still in...
Cheers!

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not convinced anyone to join the hobby. If anything I've convinced people not to join. I've had a few people at the local PetCo talk to me about keeping saltwater fish because their kid wants a Nemo. I generally talk them out of it.
Wait that's being influential isn't it, just not in the way you intended?

In a hobby where supply does not go up with demand, this is a good approach. I know that sounds like a shell-fish thing to say.

However in terms of Nemo tanks. This isnt really reefing. I have several small clownfish BTA tanks and find it to be much more rewarding than a goldfish tank and very hardy and easy to keep compaired to a reef tank. I think that if they do their research, keeping a nemo tank can be a good educational exoerience for a kid. Nemo and RBTAs are abundant in captive breeding too, so its sustainable on a large scale.

Last edited:
Back