Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not influential at all.

My friends want my job, but don’t want to put in the work. Even after I insist what I do isn’t magic, suggest training resources, offer to provide references, and even offer opportunities for some of them!

Similarly, they love my aquarium, but don’t want to put in the work.

LOL. It’s sad because it is a fun and deeply satisfying hobby. Sitting back relaxing on the sofa staring at the tank… even with my friggin bacterial bloom I still sit back and enjoy the ride.
It is funny, most people I’ve noticed say, It’s so much work. I’m in your corner bro, no matter what is going on with our tanks. It’s all good.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a hobby where supply does not go up with demand, this is a good approach. I know that sounds like a shell-fish thing to say.
Sorry but I'm not sure I follow. Clownfish is one of the few, possibly only, fish where supply can increase to meet demand. However that has nothing to do with why I try to talk people out of saltwater. I try to talk them out of saltwater to save a fish from having a horrible life (be it a short one) because someone getting a fish on a whim without having any clue what it takes to properly take care of it.

My apologies if I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted a lot of people back in my FW days. I don't think I've ever converted anyone to Saltwater. However, my future father-in-law is leaning that way, but hasn't pulled the trigger. My actual father has been out of the hobby since the early 90s and "had the bug" again now that he's retired and has seen my tank. I can't take credit for that yet.

Honestly, I don't want the responsibility of converting anyone. Conversations with my future father-in-law now sound like I'm trying to talk him out of it. I think the issue with this hobby is that you have to be really passionate to be successful. EVERYONE likes looking at a nice reef tank. But most don't have any idea just how much time/effort goes into it. It's a borderline obsession. So unless I see someone that I think is on that level, I generally just pepper them with the things they have to take into consideration rather than push them in that direction. If they really want to, they'll do it anyway. I know nobody could talk me out of it.
Great post. Good luck with your father in law. Lol.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time I was influential. I started my first sw reef tank in 2001 in college at FSU. Shortly thereafter, a couple friends in college started their own sw tanks. More friends of ours who were in school at UF came to visit and saw my tank and then several of them got into the hobby as well. I'd say at one point probably about 7 or so people had been influenced by me. I still have a version of that tank going today, but only 1 or 2 of those other guys are still in...
Cheers!
You’ve definitely paid your dues Ceaver. Cheers! :)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've convinced a couple people, but the best one by far was my wife. Before we started dating, we were coworkers at Petsmart in the fish department. She had always only kept freshwater, while I had a 180 gallon FOWLR, a 187 gallon FOWLR, a 75 gallon FOWLR, and a 32 gallon biocube reef at home, and I would constantly show pics of the tanks, or this new fish, or that new coral, Anemone, or shrimp. She set up an 8 gallon nano just as we started dating, and now she's just as obsessed as I am. Makes aquarium purchases that much easier. Dropped 3x what I was supposed to on corals, and she was only mad until they all opened in the tank.

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a cool topic! I never thought about how many people I got into the hobby until today. I think it's about a dozen people since 2003. I'm still learning til this day so it's more of a "hey join me on this crazy journey." Technology and reef knowledge has come a long way, making it easier to succeed in the hobby now. Thanks for starting this thread!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've convinced a couple people, but the best one by far was my wife. Before we started dating, we were coworkers at Petsmart in the fish department. She had always only kept freshwater, while I had a 180 gallon FOWLR, a 187 gallon FOWLR, a 75 gallon FOWLR, and a 32 gallon biocube reef at home, and I would constantly show pics of the tanks, or this new fish, or that new coral, Anemone, or shrimp. She set up an 8 gallon nano just as we started dating, and now she's just as obsessed as I am. Makes aquarium purchases that much easier. Dropped 3x what I was supposed to on corals, and she was only mad until they all opened in the tank.
Fishfreak, you should have a “Blessed” banner right next to your Build Thread Contributor banner. Great story!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a cool topic! I never thought about how many people I got into the hobby until today. I think it's about a dozen people since 2003. I'm still learning til this day so it's more of a "hey join me on this crazy journey." Technology and reef knowledge has come a long way, making it easier to succeed in the hobby now. Thanks for starting this thread!
Hey thanks for chiming in! A dozen people! You know for those who stick with it, it’s a great hobby! Thanks for the kind words.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many non-reefers have you convinced to become “REEFERS” ?

2. And what was it that took them over the edge?

For me, I can recall 3 guys. Sam, Lee and David. Lee and Sam are no longer in the hobby.
David though is rockin it with a 180g reef, chiller, Kessils etc. Beautiful tank in the wall! David had multiple tanks as a kid. He wanted back in. I helped. What say you? :D
I don't know anyone in my area that keeps a reef tank. I have put people off keeping one if I didn't think they were 100% committed as I didn't want the livestock to suffer. I also didn't want to be on the phone every 5 minutes putting their mistakes right.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone in my area that keeps a reef tank. I have put people off keeping one if I didn't think they were 100% committed as I didn't want the livestock to suffer. I also didn't want to be on the phone every 5 minutes putting their mistakes right.
You know that’s a common theme I hear. “ I don’t want the livestock to suffer” It’s a solid point though! Of my personal friends, I know 2 with reef tanks. Thx.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inadvertently got a couple friends into reefing but sadly none of them stuck with it normally due to moving or a new gf that didn't like how expensive the hobby can be.
I don’t see it as expensive. Startup cost can be significant, but after that initial startup, you can pace yourself, everyone at their own pace. Right?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back