Juvenile Ocellaris Clownfish fighting...is this behavior ok?

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am relatively new to the hobby and am very concerned about my new pair of ocellaris clownfish. They are juveniles, purchased a week ago from the same tank of about 20 similar clownfish. One is slightly larger than the other and is definitely the aggressor. I am concerned because the larger one chases the smaller one around all the time. It's not violent but it's fast and aggressive with some nipping. I also noticed a small tear on the smaller one's pectoral fin. I can't tell if this behavior is a normal part of them establishing dominance/submission or if it has gone too far and I should remove one of them before the smaller one gets hurt. Please see video linked below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8JQGOIDUPD2DwYk72

I really don't want to end up with a dead fish...I would be so sad. Any advice or help would be appreciated!!!

OP
OP
grassy_noel

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both, I'll sleep better tonight, now!

I thought it seemed ok, but the slightly torn fin just made me worried that they might have gotten overly aggressive. I'll keep an eye on them, but I'm glad to know this behavior seems generally ok.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the submissive clown stops eating, show signs and symptoms of disease such as staying the corner with heavy breathing, spots or film to body, frayed fins then consider separating them. The aggression I see is normal. If the dominate one is allowing the other clown to feed freely that is a good sign.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the submissive clown stops eating, show signs and symptoms of disease such as staying the corner with heavy breathing, spots or film to body, frayed fins then consider separating them. The aggression I see is normal. If the dominate one is allowing the other clown to feed freely that is a good sign.
Agree. Female or soon-to-be female clowns are pretty cold

OP
OP
grassy_noel

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Both are eating well for now and the seem to relax a bit when eating. They chase the food more than each other.

I’ll keep a close eye on the fins, right now that’s by biggest concern.

This only started a day or two ago. Just out of curiosity, any idea how long this lasts? Days, weeks?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will last a while. I have had my clowns for a year and half and the female still to this days puts the male in his place fairly often. The constant show of dominance by the female lasted six months or so.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
occasionally the now female will nip at me when i have my hand in the tank near her corner. When i clean the glass with a magnetic scraper they both attack it till it quits moving.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
occasionally the now female will nip at me when i have my hand in the tank near her corner. When i clean the glass with a magnetic scraper they both attack it till it quits moving.

My female clown attacks the magnet scrapper also! I sometimes think its gonna hurt itself with how hard she goes after it.

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!...I'll be ready for it to last a while then...

How are they now? My clowns are currently fighting and the male fins have gotten kinda frayed on his right side. I have separated them by putting the male in a breeders net for now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back