Juvenile Vlamingi Tang darting, flashing, hiding, and changing colors

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve had this Vlamingi Tang for a couple months now and he has been a family favorite. He is super friendly, eats aggressively, gets along with tank mates (Invited my Vampire Tang to school with him and other fish after a day), and overall a super great fish. He has never shown any negative signs except for a couple of flukes in the past, but for whatever reason he has started to show aggressive behavior. This started this morning where he was hiding in a cave as the lights were turning on and I didn’t think much of it. I did a water change ~2 ish hours before I noticed this aggressive behavior. He has started to dart at some other fish but mostly he is just flashing, darting to the other side of the tank, and changing colors. I will try to attach a video of this behavior. I don’t know if its stress, a fluke, parasite, water change, or anything, I have no idea. I added a Goniopora, Birdsnest SPS, and a chalice yesterday but I don’t think that would affect the Vlaming’s behavior. Please let me know what could be the possible problem and give any solutions if possible.

Size- 165 gallons
Phosphates- 0.07
Alkalinity- 9.6
Nitrates- 12.9
Nitrites- 0
Calcium- 456
Salinity- 35.6
Temp- ~76-77°F

IMG_1123.jpeg IMG_1124.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1120.mov
    19.5 MB
  • IMG_1121.mov
    65.2 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I’ve had this Vlamingi Tang for a couple months now and he has been a family favorite. He is super friendly, eats aggressively, gets along with tank mates (Invited my Vampire Tang to school with him and other fish after a day), and overall a super great fish. He has never shown any negative signs except for a couple of flukes in the past, but for whatever reason he has started to show aggressive behavior. This started this morning where he was hiding in a cave as the lights were turning on and I didn’t think much of it. I did a water change ~2 ish hours before I noticed this aggressive behavior. He has started to dart at some other fish but mostly he is just flashing, darting to the other side of the tank, and changing colors. I will try to attach a video of this behavior. I don’t know if its stress, a fluke, parasite, water change, or anything, I have no idea. I added a Goniopora, Birdsnest SPS, and a chalice yesterday but I don’t think that would affect the Vlaming’s behavior. Please let me know what could be the possible problem and give any solutions if possible.

Size- 165 gallons
Phosphates- 0.07
Alkalinity- 9.6
Nitrates- 12.9
Nitrites- 0
Calcium- 456
Salinity- 35.6
Temp- ~76-77°F

IMG_1123.jpeg IMG_1124.jpeg
How did you treat with prazipro (your protocol). It would be doubtful that a new coral addition yesterday would cause symptoms in one fish. I cannot see the mp4 unfortunately.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back