Scopas tang swimming into wavepump and flashing a little

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this tang for 5 days now. Since the day i got it, it has been doing these 2 things. Along with my other tang and angel but these two not very often. Quite rare to see them doing it now but still happens. I suspected ich or flukes so i started hypo at full 1.009 yesterday evening. They have improved but i dont know what to do if it doesn’t cure whatever they have. The scopas sometimes shakes its head left to right for a split second. Sometimes the angel does it too. I cant tell if theyre flashing to scratch the body or nearer to the gills but it seems like its nearer to the gills. When pump is off the scopas stops that wavesurfing behaviour. All other fish show none of these symptoms (clowns, foxface and some mollies). Eating is normal to aggressive still. Eating alot of seaweed and pellets. Could i be dealing with flukes or velvet? I see no visible signs of ich on their bodies. And yes i didnt qt. Edit: Clearly see the angel scratching its gills not the body

@Humblefish any thoughts as to what i could be dealing with?

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this tang for 5 days now. Since the day i got it, it has been doing these 2 things. Along with my other tang and angel but these two not very often. Quite rare to see them doing it now but still happens. I suspected ich or flukes so i started hypo at full 1.009 yesterday evening. They have improved but i dont know what to do if it doesn’t cure whatever they have. The scopas sometimes shakes its head left to right for a split second. Sometimes the angel does it too. I cant tell if theyre flashing to scratch the body or nearer to the gills but it seems like its nearer to the gills. When pump is off the scopas stops that wavesurfing behaviour. All other fish show none of these symptoms (clowns, foxface and some mollies). Eating is normal to aggressive still. Eating alot of seaweed and pellets. Could i be dealing with flukes or velvet? I see no visible signs of ich on their bodies. And yes i didnt qt.

@Humblefish any thoughts as to what i could be dealing with?
I’m no expert, but a tang swimming straight into a wave maker means velvet to me

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I’m no expert, but a tang swimming straight into a wave maker means velvet to me
Thats the consensus but how are they not showing any sign on their bodies? When i had velvet 6 years ago it was very obvious. Like the moment the fish was put in the tank, the next day all were covered in velvet and dead next day. These fish have been here for 5 days and show no velvet on the body. I dont know what it really is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back