kalk stirrer setup not functioning QUITE how I thought it would

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a icecap kalk stirrer. I have a dosing pump feeding the stirrer from my ato. the stirrer then (best i can tell) should overflow from the high side fitting to the sump via gravity. My issue is this seems to be inconsistent with when it overflows. the water tension sometimes retains till it is over the fitting! Anyone have this problem and maybe a solution to fix it?!?!?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for looking out!
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention
So today while doing some maintenance I happened to notice that when I removed the lid it let the kalk drain soooo I'm going to leave the lid slightly open for a few dose periods and if there is no further issue I'm going to carve a slight breather hole to eliminate suction!

LOVE THIS HOBBY SO MUCH TO LEARN ABOUT EVERYTHING

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a icecap kalk stirrer. I have a dosing pump feeding the stirrer from my ato. the stirrer then (best i can tell) should overflow from the high side fitting to the sump via gravity. My issue is this seems to be inconsistent with when it overflows. the water tension sometimes retains till it is over the fitting! Anyone have this problem and maybe a solution to fix it?!?!?
just set up the icecap myself. I'm not experiencing the same issue, I have a short length of RO tubing attached to the outlet fitting, which I turned so that it points downward from the body and into my sump. I did have to raise the reactor a few inches so that the outlet elbow clears the edge of the sump. The kalk drips consistently using this setup.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for looking out!

So today while doing some maintenance I happened to notice that when I removed the lid it let the kalk drain soooo I'm going to leave the lid slightly open for a few dose periods and if there is no further issue I'm going to carve a slight breather hole to eliminate suction!

LOVE THIS HOBBY SO MUCH TO LEARN ABOUT EVERYTHING
the press fit cap must be airtight on your unit.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine elevated above the sump and the hose is mostly down hill. its in a separate chamber in the stand from the sump so i suppose thats not optimal

Attachments

• KALKSTIRRER.jpg
    KALKSTIRRER.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
  • kALKSTIRRER2.jpg
    kALKSTIRRER2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just made a idk little chamber to keep it humid so the kalk doesn't dry over the outlet as fast? frustrated with this since its making it harder to keep ph and alk right through the day

johnz7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been having problems with it overflowing out the top because the 1/4 in output line can get clogged super easy…. I’m wondering if there’s a diy option where I could turn that 1/4 to a 1/2 for a less chance of clogging? What do you guys think?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it would be pretty easy to drill out the hole and tap threads to fit a 1/2" or 3/8" threaded fitting. That said, I'm surprised you would need to make the mod. I'm wondering why (a) it clogs for you, are you dosing slurry as opposed to clear or is the output above or below the water line; and (b) the top should be able to handle quite a bit of pressure before leaking with the O-ring and screw down lid, is yours set right?

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been having problems with it overflowing out the top because the 1/4 in output line can get clogged super easy…. I’m wondering if there’s a diy option where I could turn that 1/4 to a 1/2 for a less chance of clogging? What do you guys think?
I'll get a picture of my mod that worked. But basically drill one size smaller then the line in the top of a water bottle and cut the Dom off the bottle. Set it so the bottle keeps the humidity in the line and it works fine.

I add a scoop of kalk to the stirrer every other day or when I see it clear up. 2 scoops to a gallon so I think it's going well.

johnz7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be pretty easy to drill out the hole and tap threads to fit a 1/2" or 3/8" threaded fitting. That said, I'm surprised you would need to make the mod. I'm wondering why (a) it clogs for you, are you dosing slurry as opposed to clear or is the output above or below the water line; and (b) the top should be able to handle quite a bit of pressure before leaking with the O-ring and screw down lid, is yours set rig

johnz7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when it gets clogged it over flow out the top hole where you fill the stirrer with kalk

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back