Kalkwasser stirrer and Calcium reactor

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help figuring out what to do on my next build and what equipment to run. Currently I mix kalk in a 5 gal pail then transfer it to my ATO. It keeps my Ph, calcium and alkalinity stable. I’ve been considering a calcium reactor but my pH is already low 7.8 and I’ve heard they can lower pH. Can you run both pieces of equipment at once or is it one or the other? Does one benefit more than the other?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me give you my thoughts, I own a calcium reactor and it’s waiting to get used. In the meantime I’m Dosing RO through a Kalk Stirrer to: 1. Add alk, calc back to my system and support growth. 2. When calcium consumption reaches a level beyond what I can dose via the kalk stirrer I’ll fire up the calcium reactor.

It’s really all about calcium consumption in my mind. As the corals need more, I’ll give them more and it could require both systems running simultaneously.

Also to answer your question, yes it’s perfectly OK to run both. Just don’t exceed consumption or needs of the corals.

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me give you my thoughts, I own a calcium reactor and it’s waiting to get used. In the meantime I’m Dosing RO through a Kalk Stirrer to: 1. Add alk, calc back to my system and support growth. 2. When calcium consumption reaches a level beyond what I can dose via the kalk stirrer I’ll fire up the calcium reactor.

It’s really all about calcium consumption in my mind. As the corals need more, I’ll give them more and it could require both systems running simultaneously.

Also to answer your question, yes it’s perfectly OK to run both. Just don’t exceed consumption or needs of the corals.
That seems like a lot of dialing in separate pieces of equipment to complement each other. I love new equipment and gadgets but if you were to give advice on either running both or running one dependable reactor which would you lean toward?

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of dialing in separate pieces of equipment to complement each other. I love new equipment and gadgets but if you were to give advice on either running both or running one dependable reactor which would you lean toward?
So you’re saying the Kalk from the stirrer doesn’t supply enough calcium for your needs?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dialing in isn’t to big a deal. I watch everything on charts and adjust on the fly. Like I said, right now I’m just running Kalk. But in time I’m planning both.

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dialing in isn’t to big a deal. I watch everything on charts and adjust on the fly. Like I said, right now I’m just running Kalk. But in time I’m planning both.
Do you have an apex? How do you watch on charts?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it wise to run both or to pick just one?
If your carx is under sized then kalk is used to supplement.
Properly sized carx will do the job on its own.
I run no Apex, have one, but never set it up lol.
I chart in a log book myself.
Old school because im old lol.

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your carx is under sized then kalk is used to supplement.
Properly sized carx will do the job on its own.
I run no Apex, have one, but never set it up lol.
I chart in a log book myself.
Old school because im old lol.
I chart in a log book too and I’m 26 haha never had a computer growing up thanks for the insight I appreciate it!

m_t_r_86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Avast Kalkwasser Stirrer through A BRS 1.1 doser via my apex. I have it turn on once every other hour and run for 20 mins. My system is a 40 breeder moderately stocked with sps and lps. Alk hovers around 9.7-10.1 and calcium stays around 500ppm. Corals look healthy and are open daily with moderate growth per month. Even with my stocking there's plenty of room to increase my dosing when the time comes. If I ever reach the limits of the 1.1 doser and need more, I may switch to the 50ml doser and or something similar. I doubt this will be the case but is an option.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a GHL KH Director for Alk and hand check calcium once a week with a Salifart kit. I track the numbers on my Cell Phone in a logbook.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you could consider doing is only running the Kalk Reactor initially, and then add the calcium reactor in in the future when you max out the amount of alk you can add via Kalk. That would make tuning a lot easier!

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you could consider doing is only running the Kalk Reactor initially, and then add the calcium reactor in in the future when you max out the amount of alk you can add via Kalk. That would make tuning a lot easier!
Good idea! I’m still mulling over my options seems cost effective to use a calcium reactor instead of having to upgrade to one in the future

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both for a while but back to just a CaRx since a full tank overhaul and replant. Now in the future I may use the mixer again if the CaRx is not keeping up. I never really had too low PH problems but I wanted to keep PH higher and it worked (plus extra alk). But what really worked was adding a second reactor filled with media that the effluent also runs through. That keeps excess CO2 from getting to the tank and it all works great. I have a large single chamber GEO but if I was buying one now I would buy one with a 2 chamber design from the start. One suggestion that has worked well for me is running both caribsea media mixed with zeomag.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back