OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m away from home for the holidays and encountered my first “away from tank” crisis. Thankfully my wife helped me set up a remote cam! Using an old ipad and an app called Alfred Camera.

Before I left, I installed an auto feeder. I also clipped a large branch of red gracilaria and whole sheet of nori to the glass for the tangs. My tangs have this annoying habit of eating the nori near the clip vs from the bottom. So what happened was the sheet of nori broke off and went into the overflow, which then clogged it temporarily or at least slowed down the flow. This caused the return chamber in my sump to empty, triggering the ATO. Because the refill time from the ATO was longer than usual, it shut off as a fail safe. So, for half a day, the ATO was not on, and the water level in the sump kept dropping. Bubbles were then being blown all over the tank. That's when I noticed the issue.

Thankfully my parents were able to swing by the house to fix the issue. The return chamber was more than half empty, my pump was pulling in lots of air, and my heater was exposed! Yikes!!! :eek: Quickly had my dad refill with RODI and reset the ATO, meanwhile clear any debris. Tank temperature dropped to 70F versus 78F. Thankfully no livestock losses at all and everyone is doing great. I will always setup a camera from now on if I'm gone or at least have a tank sitter.

How do people manage time away? Is it time to get an Apex? o_O

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m away from home for the holidays and encountered my first “away from tank” crisis. Thankfully my wife helped me set up a remote cam! Using an old ipad and an app called Alfred Camera.

Before I left, I installed an auto feeder. I also clipped a large branch of red gracilaria and whole sheet of nori to the glass for the tangs. My tangs have this annoying habit of eating the nori near the clip vs from the bottom. So what happened was the sheet of nori broke off and went into the overflow, which then clogged it temporarily or at least slowed down the flow. This caused the return chamber in my sump to empty, triggering the ATO. Because the refill time from the ATO was longer than usual, it shut off as a fail safe. So, for half a day, the ATO was not on, and the water level in the sump kept dropping. Bubbles were then being blown all over the tank. That's when I noticed the issue.

Thankfully my parents were able to swing by the house to fix the issue. The return chamber was more than half empty, my pump was pulling in lots of air, and my heater was exposed! Yikes!!! :eek: Quickly had my dad refill with RODI and reset the ATO, meanwhile clear any debris. Tank temperature dropped to 70F versus 78F. Thankfully no livestock losses at all and everyone is doing great. I will always setup a camera from now on if I'm gone or at least have a tank sitter.

How do people manage time away? Is it time to get an Apex? o_O
@kartsu sorry to hear about your tank crisis. Thankfully no livestock losses. Great start. Reefer 250 owner here too. Following.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited and anxious to head back home tomorrow to see how the tank is doing. I’ve been monitoring remotely and while my glass is covered in film algae, the corals look fine and possibly more extended than usual.

I did run into another issue where my indo torch fell from the rock. Must have been a snail or fish, but it felt pretty tightly secured. Had my parents upright it cause I wanted to avoid any damage from having polyps laying in the sand.

I tested my water before hand, so will see how my nutrient tests pan out. Maybe my water is too clean (<.03 phosphate, <5 nitrate) so the extra boost might have helped the euphyllia. Just need to make sure SPS are still alright, but they are the easy ones.

Also plan to rescape the right side of the tank and create a more interesting shape and introduce new swimming paths vs around the rock. I had superglued the joints previously, will try to do the same, but gluing underwater is much less effective.

Finally, I’m going to finish up the year with my last coral purchases. Potentially adding a bubble coral and bright gold torch. My last Christmas present for myself before it’s time to seal the coral wallet (or try to ;))

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back to the tank and everything is okay. The main drain was clogged a bit, so the emergency drain was in full use. Also, the filter socks clogged all the way, such that the water was pouring into the skimmer chamber vs fuge. Lesson learned, use 1 regular filter sock and one looser grain filter sock when away.

Parameters are not too bad. Phosphates at .11 and nitrates at 15-20ppm. Will need to do a water change. Alk fell from 9.2 to 7.8 or ~.2 dkh a day. Now know how much to dose over a week.

Fish were rather skittish. Way to forget in a week the hand that feeds!

After some simple maintenance, I decided to rescape the rockscape. I was doing more reading on fish and swimming patterns, and I felt I needed more open space and to place rocks closer to the back to provide more of a “safe zone”. Here is how it is looking now. Took a modest 4 hours. I was so pruny at the end of it. All the combinations and stacking took forever. Even needed to pull out previously bleached rock to get more variety. Overall I am very happy with how it looks now. Tunnels look more natural and the flatter surface gives more surface area for mounting corals.

18A57CC3-B633-4204-8585-EBED04390AA1.jpeg

But the most upsetting thing since returning is this stupid chip on the glass that occurred today. I took the lid off and it knocked into the corner a bit rough, and a shard of glass chipped off. what the heck! I didn’t expect the glass to be so brittle. I’d claim warranty, but I REALLY don’t want to move everything out of the tank.

F8912CC4-1EE5-4A17-A8D9-D7E44F1C71DD.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back to the tank and everything is okay. The main drain was clogged a bit, so the emergency drain was in full use. Also, the filter socks clogged all the way, such that the water was pouring into the skimmer chamber vs fuge. Lesson learned, use 1 regular filter sock and one looser grain filter sock when away.

Parameters are not too bad. Phosphates at .11 and nitrates at 15-20ppm. Will need to do a water change. Alk fell from 9.2 to 7.8 or ~.2 dkh a day. Now know how much to dose over a week.

Fish were rather skittish. Way to forget in a week the hand that feeds!

After some simple maintenance, I decided to rescape the rockscape. I was doing more reading on fish and swimming patterns, and I felt I needed more open space and to place rocks closer to the back to provide more of a “safe zone”. Here is how it is looking now. Took a modest 4 hours. I was so pruny at the end of it. All the combinations and stacking took forever. Even needed to pull out previously bleached rock to get more variety. Overall I am very happy with how it looks now. Tunnels look more natural and the flatter surface gives more surface area for mounting corals.

18A57CC3-B633-4204-8585-EBED04390AA1.jpeg

But the most upsetting thing since returning is this stupid chip on the glass that occurred today. I took the lid off and it knocked into the corner a bit rough, and a shard of glass chipped off. what the heck! I didn’t expect the glass to be so brittle. I’d claim warranty, but I REALLY don’t want to move everything out of the tank.

F8912CC4-1EE5-4A17-A8D9-D7E44F1C71DD.jpeg
@kartsu I’d contact Red Sea anyway they might send you a new tank without you sending yours back. Then you could use the new tank or sell it and keep using the old tank.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Friday tank shot.
877C9A00-E3EB-478E-AC32-1FF220B82209.jpeg

Quick update, but I sent the blue tang back to the LFS. Been wondering why I was missing tips on my torches and duncans, and caught him red handed biting my Aussie gold! Managed to catch him via a fish trap. What a punk! He was a big bully in the tank, and constantly spooked the other fish. The “chi” is a lot better now. Hope he finds a bigger better home.

Other than that the frag tank is killing it. Drove to SD to pick up this awesome gold torch at a great price from @reefsean03 . It’s on the left.
31A19707-28C5-48B1-A489-81A12716B18C.jpeg

ChickenHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread! So many good ideas, I especially like the board in the back for extra plugs. The corals are beautiful and the Nuvo is awesome. I like the changes to the scape and can’t wait to see everything transferred over and what you do next!

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some fire to add to the tank. I think I am finally done with collecting corals for the short term (or so I hope). As you can tell, I have a thing for torches lol. The last one I want is the HG torch (if the price ever comes down

1FD5C3C3-6364-491E-9733-F8EDA13854B6.jpeg

1A919502-C412-463D-9125-C403D3B0EBB9.jpeg

Started up alk dosing with Reef Builder from Seachem after collecting data on alk consumption and evaporation rates. We’ll see how accurate I am .... but atleast it’s supplemented to keep alk more stable.

Just ordered 3 more fish from Dr Reef. Going to be adding a pair of anthias and a carpenter wrasse. Wanted some more active swimmers. The last fish I suppose would be a red scooter, but want to wait until the 1 year mark to let the pods overwhelm the system.

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Friday tank shot.
877C9A00-E3EB-478E-AC32-1FF220B82209.jpeg

Quick update, but I sent the blue tang back to the LFS. Been wondering why I was missing tips on my torches and duncans, and caught him red handed biting my Aussie gold! Managed to catch him via a fish trap. What a punk! He was a big bully in the tank, and constantly spooked the other fish. The “chi” is a lot better now. Hope he finds a bigger better home.

Other than that the frag tank is killing it. Drove to SD to pick up this awesome gold torch at a great price from @reefsean03 . It’s on the left.
31A19707-28C5-48B1-A489-81A12716B18C.jpeg
That new scape is looking good. Also that frag tank is great! Jealous!

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, I can't say I do it. I qt for 2 weeks and change. That covers me for the free swimmers of ich and marine velvet but no the encrusters...from what I understand...I just don't have the patience for that long of time frame. I pull and pray at 2 weeks. ; )

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, I can't say I do it. I qt for 2 weeks and change. That covers me for the free swimmers of ich and marine velvet but no the encrusters...from what I understand...I just don't have the patience for that long of time frame. I pull and pray at 2 weeks. ; )
You are braver than me! I had a velvet wipeout early on when I started reefing, and I hate that worry feeling when a fish / coral doesn't look right. Supposed to be relaxing looking at your tank right? (no not really as I am a tweaker, lol).

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are braver than me! I had a velvet wipeout early on when I started reefing, and I hate that worry feeling when a fish / coral doesn't look right. Supposed to be relaxing looking at your tank right? (no not really as I am a tweaker, lol).
@kartrsu have you measured your PAR levels? Any idea where they might be at?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kartrsu have you measured your PAR levels? Any idea where they might be at?
I just did. With the flow on I’m around 130-150 along the bottom of the tank. At the highest part of the rock on the rock, I’m getting 200. The middle of the tank has the highest par from the intersection of the two lights. Where the gold torch is, it’s about 170-180. My lights are only at 64% blue intensity. I’m targeting 80% by the end of the next 15 days. I may push 100% depending on how the corals handle 80% since I’m so LPS heavy.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing great! Happy things are in humming mode. Got my alk dosing dialed in nicely, and stopped the skimmer to bring up phosphates. They stay stubbornly low, around .03 to .05. Trying to hit the .1 mark but all this feeding is to no avail. I guess my Macroalgae is absorbing like mad. Love how I can feed my fish heavily and not worry about it!

A little mid week eye candy. All taken with an orange filter. Gold torch has definitely brightened up, and my dragon soul is showing some color change! Crazy, my pocillopora is even showing some greens and pinks! Been dosing AB+ consistently and ramping my lights.

6967E098-4160-4D6A-84F9-62B7D39C712B.jpeg

9CDF4842-DDD4-4E14-9EC2-17B913D99242.jpeg

AD614900-BF5B-466C-A3DA-DB925A0BBB46.jpeg

5A9E7138-6D46-4DD0-9257-B36C2F0D5C6A.jpeg
B7A1C28D-C3FD-42E7-8F3B-1E101E422389.jpeg
4DB84D63-4968-4960-960F-CF1BC420C7E5.jpeg
C95B2709-E089-4ABC-AE02-F0991A65F7BE.jpeg
A7B3941C-AD5E-47A8-926D-0227BDDF2324.jpeg
F88C0C66-2853-4985-8E4B-25D6BE6AEB23.jpeg
6B1F3EAB-DD6E-4DD3-9EB3-707A88F84E8F.jpeg

C9128161-9ED1-445D-A34C-3E22672CE993.jpeg

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post stuck in my head....and then it came true. Fortunately I listened a bit to what you said and the damage was minimal. I was QTing new corals with two fish in Frag (not really QT) tank planning on having them in there for 45ish days. BAM! over night one fish was sick, died the next day and then day after that the other was a goner. Before that both were good, water parameters were fine, corals looked good. For as fast as it was I am guessing velvet from what I read. Man I am glad I didn't stick those new corals in my display tank, it would have been devastating. From now on fishless frag tank and corals wait 45 days before going in the display. Honestly thanks for saving my butt, this post is what made me think twice. I know you are doing 76, maybe I should, but I am taking the median range from that study instead of the worst case at 76. I hope I don't have to learn the hard way.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post stuck in my head....and then it came true. Fortunately I listened a bit to what you said and the damage was minimal. I was QTing new corals with two fish in Frag (not really QT) tank planning on having them in there for 45ish days. BAM! over night one fish was sick, died the next day and then day after that the other was a goner. Before that both were good, water parameters were fine, corals looked good. For as fast as it was I am guessing velvet from what I read. Man I am glad I didn't stick those new corals in my display tank, it would have been devastating. From now on fishless frag tank and corals wait 45 days before going in the display. Honestly thanks for saving my butt, this post is what made me think twice. I know you are doing 76, maybe I should, but I am taking the median range from that study instead of the worst case at 76. I hope I don't have to learn the hard way.
Close call! Phew! Super happy for you that it was contained to your QT tank instead of being introduced into your DT, which would start a whole new chapter in tank management. Saltwater parasites are the worst, and the speed of death does sound like velvet, which can be super overwhelming in a smaller system. I think 45 days should be enough to eliminate most cysts, especially if you can raise temp to 80.6F. Regardless, at 45 days, you are covered for basically everything except 1 strain of ich that took longer at lower temp. Good luck man and happy to have forewarned in whatever way I did!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have passed 6 months since start and the tank is doing really well for the most part! Added a couple of fish and also moved a couple of corals from my quarantine tank over to my display. I think everything is starting to come together, and it is starting to feel closer to grow out mode.

Of course, reefing isn't fun if there are no ups and downs as it is in anything in life.

The positives recently have been:
  • Corals are clearly growing now. Stylos are beginning to build new branches. Digitata is growing taller. Pocillopora also recovered from some STN. Kenya trees are finally growing. Even my slow growing aussie gold torch is making progress in splitting with more pronounced pinching in the skeleton. Better yet, my euphyllia troubles early on in this journey have 100% reversed, with tissue grown back down the sides. Never give up on your corals!
  • Have not lost any fish. Tank is feeling a lot more lively than before with new fish, especially the resplendent anthias. :D
  • Added a porcelain crab. Ultra cool, reef-safe invert.
  • Maintenance habits are dialed in and day to day stuff is taking much less time. I am enjoying my reef more, but dare I say ... I already want to go to a bigger tank. ;Nailbiting
Negatives recently:
  • I have digitate hydroids in the tank. They don't seem to bother my corals for the most part, but my gold torch did close up a little bit recently. Not sure if it it was just holding in a recent big poop or if the hydroids were stinging it, but I did try to "plug" the hydroids in their holes.
  • Had to rehome the exquisite wrasse. I had to chose between him and my carpenter. They just couldn't get along. The exquisite was whooping the carpenter around the tank, even after 2 weeks in isolation and reintroducing via acclimation box.
  • Will probably need to rehome a cardinal too. They were acquaintances before, but now are mortal enemies.
  • Some spots have shown up on my fish. I am leaning away from ich / velvet cause 1) spots last 10 days plus easily, and 2) fish should be dead by now if velvet. Nonetheless, doing a black molly test to validate.
  • I think I may have gill flukes in the tank, and will need to run prazi-pro maybe with 3-4 doses to eliminate. Done it before, never lost anything (but I have no feather dusters)
  • Some of my macro is dying, but I think it was getting too dense.
  • Heater failed in my coral QT without me knowing. Temp dropped to 68F for a day or two, but corals have recovered. Was so confused why they were all unhappy until I put my hand in the tank. Heater was a cobalt neotherm I had for 3 years. ;Rage
Just realized I posted more negatives than positives, but I said tank is doing well. ;Facepalm Overall, the problems are nothing catastrophic, and just minor speed bumps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back