Keeping BTA's in basket short term?

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,

Was wondering if it would be alright to keep RBTA's in a basket in my 20 gal for a few months.
I have the opportunity to get them nems dirt cheap and would like to pick em up while I can.

I would be keeping them in a basket with a magfloat while my nano nem only tank cycles.

How long would I be able to keep them in there? Would they need better flow longer term? It would be for 2-3 months tops.

Thank you!

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, anenomes thrive in established tanks. 2-3 month old tank very well may not be ready for them.

maybe a rock flower nem would be ok, but aside from that i'd wait a few months. i missed the 2-3 month time frame OP mentioned.
It will be starting with sand from another build of mine >1.5 years old and rock from a setup that's been up over 10 years. Plus cycled biomax in the filter.
I know it's not perfect and will be testing parameters to make sure it's ready but hopefully will be stable with weekly water changes.

My main concern is having the BTA's in a basket for a few months.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think space and flow are going ro be your two biggest hurdles. Try it and see how it goes is going to be the only definitive answer your going to get. Be sure to let us know too :)

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as long as you get your flow and lighting right, it'll be ok. I currently have a black widow nem in a clear acclimation box near the the water line. There are adequate slits for water to pass through and it puffs up just fine.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think space and flow are going ro be your two biggest hurdles. Try it and see how it goes is going to be the only definitive answer your going to get. Be sure to let us know too :)

I think as long as you get your flow and lighting right, it'll be ok. I currently have a black widow nem in a clear acclimation box near the the water line. There are adequate slits for water to pass through and it puffs up just fine.

Definitely will. Debating on getting an acclimation box or a cheap planter and putting a magfloat in it.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the box over a cheap plastic planter?
How much did you pay? I found one that would work well on ebay for around $40 shipped.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used those cheap pond baskets before because they're usually black and not clear. I have two different acclimation boxes: one cube and one rectangle. I prefer these because my lights are not directly above the nem, so I needed a clear box for light to enter laterally. I currently use the reefing art cube for my black widow nem..I remember it being 25 bucks for the cube. If you have a bigger nem I suggest getting the bigger box.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used those cheap pond baskets before because they're usually black and not clear. I have two different acclimation boxes: one cube and one rectangle. I prefer these because my lights are not directly above the nem, so I needed a clear box for light to enter laterally. I currently use the reefing art cube for my black widow nem..I remember it being 25 bucks for the cube. If you have a bigger nem I suggest getting the bigger box.
I would be looking to get 3-4 nems right off the jump.
I can get RBTA's from a friend for cheap and want to snag a few while he still has em.
Between these two if I got that route:

Looking at the medium sizes for both.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is s this deal on nems? I want to buy some more. They are safe in a basket for a very long time.
Would love to share but its my buddy who is local and doesn't ship. $20 a nem! Can't beat it with a stick.
Hopefully once the nano nem tank is fully running I will be propagating regularly.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’ve kept my nems in boxes permanently, almost 18 months straight now. They grow, split, eat, etc all within the box and generally look great. They’ll be fine :)
which box do you use?
That's great to hear :)

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be looking to get 3-4 nems right off the jump.
I can get RBTA's from a friend for cheap and want to snag a few while he still has em.
Between these two if I got that route:

Looking at the medium sizes for both.
Yup those boxes look good. I keep mine right at the water line so I run my box without the lid. I can't comment on having more than one nem together in a box without separation. Some people say that mixing different species is a hit or miss and that same species may play nice together...but I have no experience in this

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup those boxes look good. I keep mine right at the water line so I run my box without the lid. I can't comment on having more than one nem together in a box without separation. Some people say that mixing different species is a hit or miss and that same species may play nice together...but I have no experience in this
I will hold off on mixing species until the other tank is all set up. Do you have any rocks or anything in your box?

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't have any rocks in my box because I want the best flow and light exposure. My nem sticks to the walls of the box and never likes to stay at the bottom. If I were to ever add the nem to the rockwork, it'll be much easier rubbing the foot of the nem while it's attached to the box vs. if it were attached to a rock.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which box do you use?
That's great to hear :)
I actually made my own! I bought the best Tupperware for my needs (a long rectangle in my case) and put some holes in it using a wood burner. Now it’s just clipped to my glass using plastic (not wood, those mold) clothespins! Here’s some pics of a few babies in my “selling cups”. I put the baby in here for a month to get extra special care (more feeding, better light) for a month before selling it. The added benefit is that the cup protects it during shipping!
590BB3D6-8791-4D22-BCD2-316F782516CF.jpeg
899A2B8C-45A9-4DA4-9BE9-A67D6FE6AEBF.jpeg

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually made my own! I bought the best Tupperware for my needs (a long rectangle in my case) and put some holes in it using a wood burner. Now it’s just clipped to my glass using plastic (not wood, those mold) clothespins! Here’s some pics of a few babies in my “selling cups”. I put the baby in here for a month to get extra special care (more feeding, better light) for a month before selling it. The added benefit is that the cup protects it during shipping!
590BB3D6-8791-4D22-BCD2-316F782516CF.jpeg
899A2B8C-45A9-4DA4-9BE9-A67D6FE6AEBF.jpeg
Very well done! I thought about making my own but I'd like a bigger size that doesn't disrupt a lot of flow in the tank. See any changes in the nems if they are in there for a while?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back