Keeping New Fish in Breeder Box

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I just picked up a pintail flasher wrasse (super male!), and I’m acclimating it now.

I’m wondering, would it be wise to start it in a small, floating, breeder box to make sure it’s healthy and eating before releasing it into the tank? I just don’t want it wedging itself into a crevice and slowly dying. Would this be too stressful for it?

I realize a proper qt is ideal, but this was well qt’d by the person I’m purchasing it from, and I don’t exactly have the room for one.

Thanks!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the box is a decent size for he fish then yes. An acclimation box is always a good idea. That said if box is too small the fish could spook and injure itself. Ive let a wrasse or two out in under a few hours because the risk in the box was worse than the tank.

Not sure Id use a standard breeder box for a full size Pintail though.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the box is a decent size for he fish then yes. An acclimation box is always a good idea. That said if box is too small the fish could spook and injure itself. Ive let a wrasse or two out in under a few hours because the risk in the box was worse than the tank.

Not sure Id use a standard breeder box for a full size Pintail though.
Thanks so much for the reply. He’s a bit less than 2”, so not full grown. I’m thinking I’ll have him in there overnight, make sure he’s eating in the morning, then release him.

Appreciate it!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say Pintail Flasher. Do you mean Diamond Tail? Pintail is generallly a fairy and larger than the Diamond tail flasher.

what are the current fish in the tank?
Whoops, typo. Thanks. I mean pintail fairy wrasse. He’d be going in with a Randall’s goby, target mandarin, indigo dottyback, neon goby, and 2 clowns.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think youll be okay with a day in the box. With no other wrasse present I wouldn’t sweat it much. Still a good idea to use a box whenever you can though.

I've got 8 wrasse in a 110 now and the acclimation box is whats made it work without a doubt.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks a lot. I’m not too worried about him getting bullied, I just want to make sure he’s healthy before I release him into the DT.

I really need a qt tank...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back