Kelp and Oiled Algae - No Good

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
12,345
Reaction score
25,569
Location
Sayreville, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled a Homer double DOH! today when I went to my local oriental market (H Mart), to purchase more algae.

I'd figure I'd mix it up and try dried kelp, and a different brand of sushi algae then what I usually buy.

I first tried the kelp with the fish, and no one has touched it....it's been six hours. As a comparison, when I put in the typical sushi algae, it's gone within five minutes. Here's the kelp I purchased.....I'm just wondering what I can do with it now.




With the sushi algae, I picked this one because I liked the fact that it contained four individually wrapped packages with the big package.




The only English that was visible was "Premium Roasted Seaweed (Traditional Laver)." When I got home and opened it up it felt oily and looked like it was covered with salt. Sure enough, when I looked at the back of the indiviual packages it said "Laver, Seasame Oil, Corn Oil, Salt."

Since I was totally out of algae, I tried this oiled version. They ate it like it was the regular stuff.

So if you buy algae in an oriental market, don't buy kelp, take special care in purchasing oil-free seaweed, or bring someone who can read the packages.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new