Kessil 360we question

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nanotank dimensioned at 24”w x 15”deep and 15”high. I had bought a current USA marine IC (mainly for pump control since all my pumps/wave makers are current USA). I was told the light will not really cut it elsewhere in this forum for high light corals. I now noticed a used kessil 360we with a goose neck and a controller on sale for $360 Canadian (270US) which seems like a good deal.

My question: will this be sufficient for my tank dimensions to grow any coral I wish? I do not want to have to upgrade my lights yet again if I buy this.

Thanks for your input.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single kessil A360WE would handle that tank just fine. Put the SPS higher demand corals near the center and your lower demanding corals on the outer edges. The kessil can handle a 24x24 area respectively.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Any height limits? Namely would it have any issues growing SPS lower in the tank, closer to the sand?
At only 15 inches tall no. My 40 breeder was 17 inches tall and I had no problems getting good par at the bottom of the tank. I'd mount 7 to 8 inches off the water and you can turn it up pretty high. In my 40 B I had them turned up to around 70%. For your's i'd go 50-60. But make sure to acclimate all corals to that light first :)

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At only 15 inches tall no. My 40 breeder was 17 inches tall and I had no problems getting good par at the bottom of the tank. I'd mount 7 to 8 inches off the water and you can turn it up pretty high. In my 40 B I had them turned up to around 70%. For your's i'd go 50-60. But make sure to acclimate all corals to that light first :)
Thanks a lot for your very quick responses. This was very helpful. I’ll now contact the seller to buy it.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Appreciate the input. Unfortunately the seller is not responding to me so I am not sure I'll be able to get this light.
I'm sure if you keep looking youll find another one. I love the a360we. I have 3 of them and I have one by its self on my frag tank and the others with t5 so its a hybrid system and I grow sps

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure if you keep looking youll find another one. I love the a360we. I have 3 of them and I have one by its self on my frag tank and the others with t5 so its a hybrid system and I grow sps
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely keep my eyes out. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to buy a new one. And used deals in Canada are rather rare. Even eBay listings on the Canadian site are mostly US sellers. By the time you add brokerage, shipping and the conversion rate (Canadian dollar has tanked recently - no pun intended), we Canadians have to be very patient to find a good deal.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back