Kessil a 160 par

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am using a kessil a 160 over my 35g cube reef. Does someone have par readings for the A160we to share?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used A360s and A160s. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific par numbers for you. If you don't have access to a par meter and desperately need some ball park idea, I would suggest maybe looking at the BRS video review of the kessil A360 and look at the par numbers from their tests. The A160 are 40 watts and the A360's are 90 watts i believe, so you could assume the A160s will deliver 4/9 of the par as an A360. However, that is assuming the lens angle on the A160 and the A360s are the same, which I'm not certain of. Lastly, mounting height and the color tuning can largely impact par numbers. The color setting alone on the Kessil can produce par differentials as high as 20% (i.e. par readings at 50% color might be 20% higher than say par readings at 25% color despite same intensity setting for instance).

Maybe another way to approach this is to ask why you are wanting these par numbers? In general, the A160 will be fine generating enough light for soft corals and some LPS corals. If you have specific corals that you know you need a certain amount of par for such as a clam, sps, anemone, or chalice for instance, then I definitely would encourage you to find a par meter.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
R

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanxs for the reply!
I keep some zoas, ricordea florida, rock flower anemones and some acans.! I have the kessil 25cm above water line at 60% max intensity and 25%color . My acans lost the rainbow colors so i was trying to understand whats going on.

I read that they need less light to keep the rainbow. I also read that the A160we is a bit underpower for my tank and i am a bit confused.

Overall my corals have a great color even the acans are beautiful they Just lost the rainbow.
Thanxs again for the help and sorry about my english!

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanxs for the reply!
I keep some zoas, ricordea florida, rock flower anemones and some acans.! I have the kessil 25cm above water line at 60% max intensity and 25%color . My acans lost the rainbow colors so i was trying to understand whats going on.

I read that they need less light to keep the rainbow. I also read that the A160we is a bit underpower for my tank and i am a bit confused.

Overall my corals have a great color even the acans are beautiful they Just lost the rainbow.
Thanxs again for the help and sorry about my english!

I doubt very seriously you have too much light given your intensity level and only using a Kessil A160. Most of your corals seem to be low light needs from my experience, so I would not necessarily tell you to go buy a new light, especially since you can always increase your intensity since you're only at 60%. If you get into having SPS corals or some other higher light needing corals, I think you will need more light in the future.

It sounds like you are mostly concerned from the color change on your acans. Corals can change colors for various reasons, such as spectrum, intensity, duration, nutrients, and so forth. When I used to keep acans, I found they kept their best coloration in lower lighting and preferred indirect lighting (i.e. keeping them in areas that are slightly shaded). I've had rainbow acans that have changed colors also. I would simply suggest trying a different location and observing it for a few weeks. Don't be moving it around every week...give it time to adjust and perhaps you can get the rainbow colors to come back out. You could also check with the type of lighting it was getting before you put it in your tank and try to mimic that as best as possible. But as I said before, it's not just how much light but spectrum, type, and many other factors

OP
OP
R

Revos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i understand that! Thanxs guys for the help!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post so sorry but am I reading this chart correctly, you have the Kessil at 224 par at the bottom of the tank, is that correct?
Im-10 is 13" high.
Light is 5.5" off the water line and 1" off the bottom
Soo " technically" about 17.5"
224par dead center..
Afaict.
Not my data btw

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im-10 is 13" high.
Light is 5.5" off the water line and 1" off the bottom
Soo " technically" about 17.5"
224par dead center..
Afaict.
Not my data btw
Much more than I was expecting, I’m going to have to try and get a par meter to check my own tank out.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much more than I was expecting, I’m going to have to try and get a par meter to check my own tank out.
Yea, I can't verify the numbers..
Not a lot of easy to find data on one 160we
Here is 2..
at 18 (6" height to water) total " 's it was pulling 100-150..

Worst case and there are a number of reasons the measurements aren't "fair"..
https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/par

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights at @50% intensity. Need to sort of guess at heights.
The color setting, in theory, die 't change things in regards to the intensity.."Kessil logic".Actually it does but error in the can generally be ignored.
To get par at 100% intensity you can just multiply by 2.... In general

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights at @50% intensity. Need to sort of guess at heights.
The color setting, in theory, die 't change things in regards to the intensity.."Kessil logic".Actually it does but error in the can generally be ignored.
To get par at 100% intensity you can just multiply by 2.... In general

That is really helpful thanks.

I have a very similar setup at the same intensity, those par settings sound about perfect for LPS…you’ve just saved me the cost of a Seneye.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%

Back