Kessil AP700 & SPS

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all my "new" tank has been up and running for about 8-9 months now. All my LPS and Shrooms are fine except for a stubborn Interstellar Shroom. I have never really cared for SPS until now. I picked up a green acro two weeks ago and it is alive and actually encrusting. So my question is for those who run AP700 on SPS what is your schedule? Intensity? What colors do you run mostly Blue or White.

Any help is appreciated concerning this light with SPS.

Thank!!!!

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light to the surface of the water is exactly 12in and the rock from water surface is about 4inch sps will only be in the center of the tank

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this rock structure I made just for sps

20180830_185435.jpg

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@miPapareef OK so at 60% intensity you are pushing 225 dead center of the tank where I plan to put SPS. I should be OK from what I have read 200-300 Par can be OK for them or am I wrong?

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. 200-300 Par will make most SPS thrive. I have been increasing intensity over the last month in my reef. My hope is 350 plus par will make some more colors pop in my colonies. However, I have seen happy corals and good growth in the 250 range on pretty much everything in my tank.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@miPapareef OK so at 60% intensity you are pushing 225 dead center of the tank where I plan to put SPS. I should be OK from what I have read 200-300 Par can be OK for them or am I wrong?
You are correct. Your rocks look closer to the water surface than mine so you might be higher par actually. I’d start frags out lower and move them up there over a month or so.

My tank is 21” deep so that 225 is about 8 or 9” below the surface.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@miPapareef yeah the rock I will be placing SPS on is 4in from the water line. Thanks KS for the help and the par info how did you get that?

And Adam thanks for the info man Im buying a Walt Disney tomorrow kinda of an impulse buy but it was only $30!

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@miPapareef yeah the rock I will be placing SPS on is 4in from the water line. Thanks KS for the help and the par info how did you get that?

Good luck with the WD. Great looking coral.

I have an APEX controller and the PMK (par monitoring kit). I stick the sensor in the tank at all those locations and over the course of a day it gives me a graph of the PAR. Some LFS have par meters to rent so you could give that a try.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ask on a local forum see if anyone has one. Yeah for $30 it's worth the shot!

Also mix reviews that Sps like supper clean water ?

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update since I got the WD on Friday..... I also got a red planet and orange passion lol they all look good and have polyp extension throughout the day.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2ap700 over my 120 and within the last 6 months added the aquatic life t5 fixture and added layout front to back is like this: blue plus coral plus led purple plus and blue plus. I actually really like the color not super blue but more crisp white with hint of blue. I run the kessils at 3 rd blue from the bottom and I’m sitting at 59% and fixtures sits at 12”now. I had it lower and led intensity lower but couldn’t get in and out of the take very well. With my apogee mq 510 par is sitting at mid to high 300 at top and about 200 on sandbed. I really love the kessils but even with two I had shading so that’s why I added the t5. I have basically 99% sps and I mean acropora dominant not just poci/monti pieces. Colors on sps is great. Just working on coloring up some mariculture pieces I’ve had forever.

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2ap700 over my 120 and within the last 6 months added the aquatic life t5 fixture and added layout front to back is like this: blue plus coral plus led purple plus and blue plus. I actually really like the color not super blue but more crisp white with hint of blue. I run the kessils at 3 rd blue from the bottom and I’m sitting at 59% and fixtures sits at 12”now. I had it lower and led intensity lower but couldn’t get in and out of the take very well. With my apogee mq 510 par is sitting at mid to high 300 at top and about 200 on sandbed. I really love the kessils but even with two I had shading so that’s why I added the t5. I have basically 99% sps and I mean acropora dominant not just poci/monti pieces. Colors on sps is great. Just working on coloring up some mariculture pieces I’ve had forever.
Do you have pictures of your tank to show us I would love to see it !

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running AP700 on my 40g breeder. Starts at the bluest setting and ramps up to the 3rd setting. Running it at that for about 5-6 hours, at 75% intensity. I have SPS scattered all over my tank - It's all thriving and happy. 10 inches off the water.

I'll be upping the intensity to 85% over the next 5 weeks and adding a T5 (making my own hybrid fixture) in a few weeks as well! ;)

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm running AP700 on my 40g breeder. Starts at the bluest setting and ramps up to the 3rd setting. Running it at that for about 5-6 hours, at 75% intensity. I have SPS scattered all over my tank - It's all thriving and happy. 10 inches off the water.

I'll be upping the intensity to 85% over the next 5 weeks and adding a T5 (making my own hybrid fixture) in a few weeks as well! ;)
You have pictures of your tank set up ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back