Kessil has terrible customer service

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have any experience with kessil customer service? I've sent two emails close to a month ago and still can't get a response. My A360X overheats every 2-3 months and it's a PITA to disassemble for cleaning. Wanted to ask kessil if I'm doing something wrong, but can't even get a response despite spending close to two grand on their lights. Really starting to regret going with kessil. In hindsight, it was clearly a bad idea to put 90 watts in such a small package and then use 4 different types of screws for disassembly. I clean my decade old radions like once a year with compressed air and I don't even have to take them apart.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with kessil customer service? I've sent two emails close to a month ago and still can't get a response. My A360X overheats every 2-3 months and it's a PITA to disassemble for cleaning. Wanted to ask kessil if I'm doing something wrong, but can't even get a response despite spending close to two grand on their lights. Really starting to regret going with kessil. In hindsight, it was clearly a bad idea to put 90 watts in such a small package and then use 4 different types of screws for disassembly. I clean my decade old radions like once a year with compressed air and I don't even have to take them apart.

No words of wisdom here. Just sympathizing. The way they look is unbeatable, but the actual physical design is atrocious. The fact that there are so many screws at so many points in the housing, and they’re all different is maddening. They’re a nightmare to disassemble. To fully clean all 3 of mine I need a good hour or two completely uninterrupted. That’s rare

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased two Kessils a few years ago for a build. One had a diode row die, the other had an off color, almost yellow, no matter how you changed it. I reached out in both instances and they upgraded me to the newest unit, just held a charge on my card until I returned my damaged unit. I would say their customer service is good. No one seems to ever mention trying to call a companies customer service, just emailing. May try to give them a call instead.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No words of wisdom here. Just sympathizing. The way they look is unbeatable, but the actual physical design is atrocious. The fact that there are so many screws at so many points in the housing, and they’re all different is maddening. They’re a nightmare to disassemble. To fully clean all 3 of mine I need a good hour or two completely uninterrupted. That’s rare

Definitely their one saving grace, but it's not like the competition looks bad these days. Glad I'm not the only one. Starting to drive me crazy and I can't find anyone else talking about it. And don't even get me started on the A160 which uses 0.9mm hex grub screws that strip because they used thread locker. Why would anyone have a 0.9mm driver?? It's almost like they're making it difficult on purpose.

I had purchased two Kessils a few years ago for a build. One had a diode row die, the other had an off color, almost yellow, no matter how you changed it. I reached out in both instances and they upgraded me to the newest unit, just held a charge on my card until I returned my damaged unit. I would say their customer service is good. No one seems to ever mention trying to call a companies customer service, just emailing. May try to give them a call instead.

I've heard good things about their customer service too which is why I'm so confused. I'll give them a call when I get the chance. Just hate sitting on hold for an hour about an issue that isn't urgent. Still don't think it excuses not responding to emails though. I had a serial number, so they know I'm a paying customer. Not just someone who wants to ask a million questions and never buy anything.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an issue with them. I missplaced a power cord during a move and they offered to send me a free one aside from shipping. Hard to beat that. They did take a couple weeks to respond though. I wasn't in a hurry at the time so wasn't a big deal for me

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest inuding your corospndance as a measure of transparency. Just claiming that you are having an issue and then claiming that the company is not responding comes across as a bit one-sided.

My experience with Kessil has been above and beyond better other companies in the same niche industry.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe check your email spam folder? @Kessil

I've checked spam.

I never had an issue with them. I missplaced a power cord during a move and they offered to send me a free one aside from shipping. Hard to beat that. They did take a couple weeks to respond though. I wasn't in a hurry at the time so wasn't a big deal for me

That is pretty impressive, maybe I'm just catching them at a bad time.

I would suggest inuding your corospndance as a measure of transparency. Just claiming that you are having an issue and then claiming that the company is not responding comes across as a bit one-sided.

My experience with Kessil has been above and beyond better other companies in the same niche industry.

What correspondence could I include? That's sort of the problem, I've never gotten any response. I used their online form so I don't have records of my initial message either, but it was basically my original post minus the comments about regret. Why would I make this up lol, I'm not a radion fanboy and I hate AI. I loved kessil up until recently.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What correspondence could I include? That's sort of the problem, I've never gotten any response. I used their online form so I don't have records of my initial message either, but it was basically my original post minus the comments about regret. Why would I make this up lol, I'm not a radion fanboy and I hate AI. I loved kessil up until recently.
Well that is for you to decide. Link to their online forum with your grievance perhaps. I am not suggesting that you are making anything up. Only suggesting that you show rather than tell.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know. Usually when I post here about a different experience a couple members say it doesn't matter or count. Having said that and since you specifically asked I've had nothing but great support from them. In fact similar product, a360x, was flickering. I contacted them via their portal, received a reply within 24 hours asking for some information, I replied, received another follow up within 24 hours, and had a replacement on my door in less than 24 hours. This was all during the height of Covid when medical supplies had priority and no one guaranteed overnight shipments. Every aspect of support was great.

I do not disassemble mine and only use low air pressure to clear it. The current a360x is mounted about 8" over the water, no splashing, and seems to do OK.

Wish I could offer more help but my experience was different.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had a problem with Kessil or their products over the last 10 years of using their lights. Sounds like you got a bad unit. Calling is always better.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty impressive, maybe I'm just catching them at a bad time.

You never know, I don't think any company is perfect. I can only speak from my experiences with them. This was a couple years ago now so things certainly could have changed since. I hope they get around to sorting out your issue.

FWIW I clean mine every 6 months, doesn't really bother me, just regular maintainance. I took mine apart at the beginning to paint them so I familiarized myself with them from the get go. They certainly could have made things a little easier but atleast they are built solid. Mine are about 12" above the water. They are run at a max of 75%, No pets allowed in the room the tanks in, Not sure if that makes a big difference or not.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know. Usually when I post here about a different experience a couple members say it doesn't matter or count. Having said that and since you specifically asked I've had nothing but great support from them. In fact similar product, a360x, was flickering. I contacted them via their portal, received a reply within 24 hours asking for some information, I replied, received another follow up within 24 hours, and had a replacement on my door in less than 24 hours. This was all during the height of Covid when medical supplies had priority and no one guaranteed overnight shipments. Every aspect of support was great.

I do not disassemble mine and only use low air pressure to clear it. The current a360x is mounted about 8" over the water, no splashing, and seems to do OK.

Wish I could offer more help but my experience was different.

Hah classic. Thanks for sharing. Blows my mind when I hear stories like this, maybe it's a technical issue and they're not even getting my messages.

I've never had a problem with Kessil or their products over the last 10 years of using their lights. Sounds like you got a bad unit. Calling is always better.

Will do.

You never know, I don't think any company is perfect. I can only speak from my experiences with them. This was a couple years ago now so things certainly could have changed since. I hope they get around to sorting out your issue.

FWIW I clean mine every 6 months, doesn't really bother me, just regular maintainance. I took mine apart at the beginning to paint them so I familiarized myself with them from the get go. They certainly could have made things a little easier but atleast they are built solid. Mine are about 12" above the water. They are run at a max of 75%, No pets allowed in the room the tanks in, Not sure if that makes a big difference or not.

I'm running mine at 100% intensity and 20% color with violet on 100% and no red/green. How do you get enough par at 12" over the water?? Mine are 6" above the water with the narrow reflector and it's still barely hitting 350 about 8" below the surface. I guess I am pushing them a bit, but I don't really have a choice with the amount of par I'm getting.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hah classic. Thanks for sharing. Blows my mind when I hear stories like this, maybe it's a technical issue and they're not even getting my messages.

Will do.

I'm running mine at 100% intensity and 20% color with violet on 100% and no red/green. How do you get enough par at 12" over the water?? Mine are 6" above the water with the narrow reflector and it's still barely hitting 350 about 8" below the surface. I guess I am pushing them a bit, but I don't really have a choice with the amount of par I'm getting.
I also run mine at 12 inches from the water to the lights and only 50 to 75%. Maybe check your par tool.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also run mine at 12 inches from the water to the lights and only 50 to 75%. Maybe check your par tool.

Its an apogee MQ200. Regardless of what the actual par is, my acros are growing well so I don't want to turn down the light. The A360X should be able to handle 100% or it shouldn't be a setting.

I only have Softies and a few LPS, makes things a lot easier :p My tank is also only 18" Deep, 16 orso inches of actual water.

Ah makes sense. Starting to think kessils are better for lps/softy tanks. I just can't be spending that kind of money to get sps light levels.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A360X should be able to handle 100% or it shouldn't be a setting.
I agree. It's not an AI light. It can handle 100%. I wasn't suggesting that you turn it down; just surprised to see your PAR levels at 100%.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back