KH, CA, and PH?

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 14 up and running for over 6 years and the last year I've had problems with the oxygen level in the tank and keeping fish in there. Very low oxygen I have the lid propped open with the feeding tray also now. I am having issues with my pH being too low below 8 and currently have a lot of coral in the tank that don't look really bad some of the hammers are huge but my KH is at 7.3 and my calcium stays at 390 Any suggestions in any of this information?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanting to raise the ph are you using a skimmer?if you are you could run a air line to the outside

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if every thing is happy don’t go chasing numbers go with stability

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH of 7.3, pH below 8, and Ca of 390 are all perfectly acceptable values.

Are you still having trouble with fish? Why do you think it was oxygen related? Any water movement, as in powerheads, in the tank?

OP
OP
G

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you still having trouble with fish? Why do you think it was oxygen related? Any water movement, as in powerheads, in the tank?
Someone told me it was low oxygen and I have a Salfert oxygen kit...shows low...no fish because I lost to many. Lots of water movement especially at top.

OP
OP
G

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Someone told me it was low oxygen and I have a Salfert oxygen kit...shows low...no fish because I lost to many. Lots of water movement especially at top.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been running for 6yrs straight? How deep is the sand bed and how is it maintained? Just throwing hydrogen sulfide out there. IF you have had a deep sand bed and haven’t been replenishing microfauna and caring for it, they can die after many years. Some believe it, some don’t. I have never personally ran a deep sand bed. But if you don’t have one then forget it lol

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 14 up and running for over 6 years and the last year I've had problems with the oxygen level in the tank and keeping fish in there. Very low oxygen I have the lid propped open with the feeding tray also now. I am having issues with my pH being too low below 8 and currently have a lot of coral in the tank that don't look really bad some of the hammers are huge but my KH is at 7.3 and my calcium stays at 390 Any suggestions in any of this information?
Are you dosing anything?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i really wanted to use a kit to measure O2, i’d at least try to “calibrate it” by extensively aerating a small batch of new salt water at tank temp and assume that is saturated, then measure the tank water and see if it is different with the kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium store owner diagnosed it.

i’ve been answering reef chemistry forum questions for more than 25 years. hundreds of thousands of posts. i do not recall a single case where low oxygen in a normal reef tank was killing fish.

OP
OP
G

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i really wanted to use a kit to measure O2, i’d at least try to “calibrate it” by extensively aerating a small batch of new salt water at tank temp and assume that is saturated, then measure the tank water and see if it is different with the kit.
My PH was low other than that all parameters was fine.

OP
OP
G

GHD1959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites. 0
Phosphorus 0.03
Magnesium 1350
KH 7.7
Calcium 390
PH - not 100% sure as color dosent match chart.
Closest looks like 8.0
Tank has protein skimmer added recently and in media basket I have Intank floss, purigen and Phosguard.
Koralia 240 powerhead along with more powerful stock pump with random flow generator attached.
Very healthy huge hammer corals, mushrooms, Xenia ,Kenya tree and alot of zoas.
Fish over the last year make it for a few days to a couple of weeks and die, no spots or anything.
Clownfish, gobies, Damsels.
Prior to this fish thrived , no problems.
Do water changes weekly and large ones also recently.
Have own RODI system always TDS at 0.
Also inverts are always ok..gave fire shrimp also.
If additional information is needed please let me know...I would love to add a few fish again.thankyou all for your help.

Back