KH Director Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I agree that the
it took me a long time to get mine pretty dialed... but i think also helps is just keep running it... dont have it on adaptive mode for awhile.. just have it read for a month or so maybe

i do love the KH though... im just not a fan of the Dosers...i feel they are flawed..

just need a dang Po4, and no3 auto tester and id be pumped... Tired of testing po4 lol

Thanks. Not too crazy about the dosers either. I have two (one about 3y old and another about 5 months old) and have exactly the same issues on both.

The problem with my KHD is that it worked well for about 4 months, reading close to the hanna checker most of the time. Than one day last week readings shot up to 14dKh!!!! It was under adaptive mode but I believe I caught it on time. Than it dropped to 6,6 or something along those lines while all the tine my Hanna kept reading 8,4-8,6.

my rollers are squeeking already (again) so I wonder if that has an impact in terms accuracy and repeatability of the results.

But that is the problem... now I check every result with my Hanna so it completely defeats the point of having the KHD in the first place... ☹️

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have finally sorted out the issue and got it working again (reading within 0,1dKh of my Hanna Checker as before). Before I get into the solution, let me lay out the series of issues/reasons and solution I had:

1 - KH Director began to register extremely high figures (dKh of 14!!) while the Hanna Checker did not show an increase from the 8,5dKh where it had been at. REASON: never really found out. Could it be the sample water pump rollers (they were squeaking and filled with a black dust when I opened them)? Was it an issue with the new reagent bottle (although the first test after changing did not show an increase), air got trapped in the reagent tube perhaps?.I do not know.

SOLUTION: Cleaned the dosing heads of the Doser 2.1, re calibrated the pH probe, calibrated the dosing pumps.

PROBLEM: Now the kid was consistently showing 1dKh below my Hanna Checker at 7dKh.

CAUSE: after going into GCC I noticed that the reagent pump calibration was showing 4,0ml/minute instead of 4,6ml/minute. (it took me more than a week to get to this point). I do not know why but when I calibrated the pump in the GHL App and entered the 4,6 it did not recognise it and switched to 4,0.

SOLUTION: In GCC made sure that the calibration was at 4,6ml/min after saving. Now it is showing consistent results again.

So all is well that ends well, and if I ever feel comfortable in letting the KHD making adjustments to my dosing I will need to make sure that the range where the adjustments can be performed is a tight one. When will GHL finally come out with push notifications (iOS please) so we can actually finally be able to sleep better knowing everything is ok...

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have finally sorted out the issue and got it working again (reading within 0,1dKh of my Hanna Checker as before). Before I get into the solution, let me lay out the series of issues/reasons and solution I had:

1 - KH Director began to register extremely high figures (dKh of 14!!) while the Hanna Checker did not show an increase from the 8,5dKh where it had been at. REASON: never really found out. Could it be the sample water pump rollers (they were squeaking and filled with a black dust when I opened them)? Was it an issue with the new reagent bottle (although the first test after changing did not show an increase), air got trapped in the reagent tube perhaps?.I do not know.

SOLUTION: Cleaned the dosing heads of the Doser 2.1, re calibrated the pH probe, calibrated the dosing pumps.

PROBLEM: Now the kid was consistently showing 1dKh below my Hanna Checker at 7dKh.

CAUSE: after going into GCC I noticed that the reagent pump calibration was showing 4,0ml/minute instead of 4,6ml/minute. (it took me more than a week to get to this point). I do not know why but when I calibrated the pump in the GHL App and entered the 4,6 it did not recognise it and switched to 4,0.

SOLUTION: In GCC made sure that the calibration was at 4,6ml/min after saving. Now it is showing consistent results again.

So all is well that ends well, and if I ever feel comfortable in letting the KHD making adjustments to my dosing I will need to make sure that the range where the adjustments can be performed is a tight one. When will GHL finally come out with push notifications (iOS please) so we can actually finally be able to sleep better knowing everything is ok...
I agree about push notifications. My workaround is to setup a filter in Gmail (would be a rule in outlook) to forward any alert emails to text (most providers have a (your phone)@sms.(your email) or something ).
Then in iOS I make that text# a contact and give it its own, loud, ringtone.

Irritating but it works as an alarm at least.

Tony

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo... unfortunately it did not last long . After about two weeks the KH readings started to climb again and it is now reading some 0,5-0,7dKH higher than my Hanna... tested and calibrated pumps and probe but it continues to measure high... and if the difference to the Hanna was consistent I would not really care but the problem is that for a week or ao it reads very close, and than gradually widens... the sample is being drawn in a chamber before the skimmer so it should not affect the results. This makes me take out the Hanna to keep checking where I am at so very frustrating...

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a thriving reef tank kH uptake should be a gradual steady log curve upward. Providing control to software thinking a wild swing is needed is a bit reckless. I have been on the fence for monitoring only but Eu type service and Eu parts is not for me.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy I have not purchased this type of gear yet. I may very well wait for the next round of gear. You sound like a person to me who reads directions, uses support, etc.. quite careful and if you had a problems... that is not good.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna checker takes 30 seconds every other day. I think the discipline to monitor and observe closely for 20 minutes each day is huge part of success. There may be no shortcuts.

LostSoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to chime in with my aggravation of pretty much the same thing. I have had mine for 2 years. After giving up with trying to get it work and moth balling it for about a year and a half. I decided to pull it back out and redo everything. Same issues. I always get a swing of about 1 dkh thru out the day. once a day i get an off the wall spike of 2 to 4 dkh. I ordered another in hopes that i have a bad one. Even when i tried to do the calibration fluids i would get spikes. Going to try it one more time with a new unit. If this doesn't work I will not be a happy camper.

BTW they say this thing is "so precise" yet the app will not let you put in anything other than whole numbers. So when you go in and do the "sample tube volume" you might measure 7.5 but you can only put in 7 or 8. I thought that was the issue so i filled it up to 7ml and cut the tube so the measurement was exact. --- no effect.

recalibrated all the pumps, ran the pumps to make sure i was getting the exact ml when trying to run the test. so if the test was for a sample of 80. i ran the test and stuck one end of the tube into a cylinder to make sure i was getting 80.

i even stopped the test right when it started to add reagent and emptied the chamber and measured it.

Last edited:

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone ever fix this? If so, please post the solution here:
Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back