KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the probe, but I agree with LoJ

On my side of the fence, things are chugging away. For the past month, my values have been extremely stable. I've had a max deviation of .46 dKH with an average of .03 dKh recorded between tests. That's comparing the last 286 tests. I've had no re-tries recorded in that timespan as well. I am probably jinxing myself writing this post, but it should be worth recording. I also finally did a comparison with my hanna and idip and the values were perfectly in sync from when I did the reverse calibration.

2/24
Alk Hanna 140, 140
Idip 126, 128, 124
Khg 162, 163,

3/18
Alk Hanna 142,140
Idip 7.12 (127)
Khg 7.82 (140)

Keep in mind as well that I've been adding some ability for my controller to adjust alk slightly in order to try and stall swings. The KHG and this program has helped me adjust my dosing baseline from where I started 18ml/day to where I ended up needing to be at 30ml/day.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to send the board to Taiwan for repair. Repair was only $40 and $7.50 return shipping. I mailed out on a monday and got an email from David the following wed that it was fixed and ready to be shipped back. These guys have great service.
If anyone is interested in adding wireless to their gaurdian check out this link. worked perfectly for me and was able to power it right up off the guardian.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAP11G-Bridge-Cable-Convert-RJ45-Ethernet-Port-to-Wireless-WiFi-Dongle-AP-Vonets/142177139007?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Jeff

Crap I wish I would have saw this earlier. I had a similar issue, if you have an issue with power it is real easy to fix. replace the B0505S-3W isolated power module. It is only on there with 4 pins and I was back up and running quickly. I think I got two shipped for 10 bucks (one as a backup).

mrhaboobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KHG 、CAG Multi-Purpose Stand

If you like it, please download it from the following website and print it yourself on a 3D printer.
http://www.khguardian.com/DIY/KHG_stand_p.stl

screenshot_20180825_151412.jpg screenshot_20180825_151250.jpg screenshot_20180825_151158.jpg screenshot_20180825_151104.jpg

Would you have any STL files that dont have a design that is Over Tank Fitting? Eg that can just be screwed to a wall?
Thanks

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried making their own testing reagent? A club member makes his own for his alkatronic just using ro water and muratic acid. Buying the guardian reagent will be about $15 a month.
Also does anyone have a link to a add on doser for the guardian monitor?
Thanks
Jeff

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has tried making their own testing reagent? A club member makes his own for his alkatronic just using ro water and muratic acid. Buying the guardian reagent will be about $15 a month.
Also does anyone have a link to a add on doser for the guardian monitor?
Thanks
Jeff

Wow that would be awesome.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back on this thread I mentioned to DVC putting together a preventative maintenance list. Doesn’t seem like he’s around here much anymore but maybe someone can mention it to him via the Facebook group? With 4 different pumps on this unit I’m sure there are pump tubing and rollers and other parts which could be swapped out every year or two instead of reacting once they inevitably fail.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back on this thread I mentioned to DVC putting together a preventative maintenance list. Doesn’t seem like he’s around here much anymore but maybe someone can mention it to him via the Facebook group? With 4 different pumps on this unit I’m sure there are pump tubing and rollers and other parts which could be swapped out every year or two instead of reacting once they inevitably fail.
I swore I posted it up

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick search but I’m sure there’s more. I know on FB DVC posted a parts sheet with pricing too.

Post #926 pump and tubing

#1170 ph probe

#1324 parts

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRIDENT just released if you haven't heard!!!

... so I ordered the KH Guardian Monitor for much cheaper :D and half the price of the Alkatronic. Just joined the FB group (repost: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1768033033431949/) and look forward to setting it up!
You will like it. Been using khg for 2.5 years now. 8 months ago I added a 2nd one for my frag tank.
Amazing machine, best what's in the market by far.
Test and dose,
Support CArx,
Can connect to any controller like apex or ghl
Very reasonably priced.
And the support behind the product is awesome so far.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will like it. Been using khg for 2.5 years now. 8 months ago I added a 2nd one for my frag tank.
Amazing machine, best what's in the market by far.
Test and dose,
Support CArx,
Can connect to any controller like apex or ghl
Very reasonably priced.
And the support behind the product is awesome so far.

I am not exaggerating when I say that, in the first year of owning this product, I have had to work with support more than any other product I have ever purchased, aquarium related or not. Three separate issues, the last of which dragged on for months and I eventually gave up once they wanted me to send it back at my own expense (again - already did this once for a previous issue). This was all working through CoralVue customer support. Mine does not work well enough to trust it to dose alk.

I am not a regular Facebook user so I don’t consider finding a Facebook group and contacting the designer of the machine on the other side of the planet a good (or even acceptable) customer service option.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not exaggerating when I say that, in the first year of owning this product, I have had to work with support more than any other product I have ever purchased, aquarium related or not. Three separate issues, the last of which dragged on for months and I eventually gave up once they wanted me to send it back at my own expense (again - already did this once for a previous issue). This was all working through CoralVue customer support. Mine does not work well enough to trust it to dose alk.

I am not a regular Facebook user so I don’t consider finding a Facebook group and contacting the designer of the machine on the other side of the planet a good (or even acceptable) customer service option.
I’m sorry u had this issue but mine has been rock steady unless I did something to mess with it

Secondly what is up with the version two krs pump?? Saw a video pop up on you tube last night

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry u had this issue but mine has been rock steady unless I did something to mess with it

Secondly what is up with the version two krs pump?? Saw a video pop up on you tube last night
I use one unit for more than 2.5 years. Flawless. Another unit almost a year now, also flawless.
I follow up with the inventor on Facebook and learn alot on how to maintain my unit well. Same as people go to the forums to learn about apex or ghl. Sorry it wasn't the tester for you.

My understanding is the new pump will give more precision and life span for the tubing. Some people had issues because the old pump caused the tubing to wear out in 6 8 months. And they do not change the tubing ad adviced so khg start giving variation....

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one unit for more than 2.5 years. Flawless. Another unit almost a year now, also flawless.
I follow up with the inventor on Facebook and learn alot on how to maintain my unit well. Same as people go to the forums to learn about apex or ghl. Sorry it wasn't the tester for you.

My understanding is the new pump will give more precision and life span for the tubing. Some people had issues because the old pump caused the tubing to wear out in 6 8 months. And they do not change the tubing ad adviced so khg start giving variation....

This is likely my issue as my unit is now a year old. I want to replace the tubing, I want to perform preventative maintenance, but I don’t know what maintenance to perform, how to perform it, or where to get the parts.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely my issue as my unit is now a year old. I want to replace the tubing, I want to perform preventative maintenance, but I don’t know what maintenance to perform, how to perform it, or where to get the parts.
Yeh I hear you.
Dr.chen have communicated all this on the khg forum and on FB. He is so good talking to users 101 also and never give any condescending answer or blame customers like what Neptune management do often.... that's why I loved dealing with khg.
Anyway sorry you had such experince.
I changed my khg tubing once every 6 months. Most reputable precision equipment vendors who use peristaltic pumps will ask you to change the tube every 6 months. My dastaco reactor do the same, the BM doser will ask you to change yearly..etc.

Btw, I am talking about the titration motor only. The dosing motor's do not need replacements often because the machine do not depend on the motor itself to calculate the liquid pushed through them. While the titration motor and its drop size consistency is important for accurat measurments.

Let me know if you still would like to learn how to change yours. I can walk you through the improvements khg have added over the last 2 years, they can upgrade you and improve your experince.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to read this thread it’s back about two or three pages

I put what David Chen sent me to to replace yearly and every six months the parts and the part numbers

Worst comes to worse just email him he usually gets back to within a day (different time zones he’s from Vietnam I think) he will even mail you all the parts except stuff with liquid as you can’t send them international

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I believe dr. Chen will sell khg directly to customers. I believe now it's around 500$.
I still think khg is the best option in the market cost and reliability wise.
Test and dose
Stand alone
Can connect to controllers like ghl and apex.

And the most awesome thing about khg is its design. It's highly modular.
Its simply 3 parts.
-Ph prob
-Chamber that contain stirrer, ir sensor for drip count and the titration pump
- dosers.
Each of these modules are cheap and easily replaced. Whenever there is an update or you have an issue you can easily change the module.

As an example people had issues with the stirrer or the titration pump, they got new chamber that have all the updates in one module. Problem solved.

Compare this to complex designs that you need to send back to dealer, Or to high cost alktronic or kh director I seems to me a no brainer.

I still cannot justify kh director though I know its awesome and I am switching all my apex with ghl lineup, but will not use khd because khg is still king in my books.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back