KHD value high - tried known fixes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently setup a KH Director and it is still reporting high dKH. Reports around 2-3 dKH higher than actual value. Here is what I have tried, some of it several times

1. Measured and remeasured all the lines
2. Calculated volume by disconnecting and dispensing into a 50ml graduated cylinder - twice - this was within 2ml of measured/ calculated volume by length
3. Re-calibrated pH probe 3 times - all readings after calibration have been within .2 of 4 and 7
4. Re-calibrated dosing heads twice - each calibration within 0.5ml of each other
5. Checked for air bubbles, multiple flushing and venting reagent
6. I ordered some GHL KH reference fluid and its ran three times 10.2, 10.1, 10 and 10.5 - so very consistent just 2.5 - 3dKH over the reference fluid that its testing
7. For tank water Hanna checker gives me a dKH of 8 and KHD gives me a consistent 10 - 10.3

Saltwater is Tropic Marin Pro made up to std strength i.e. 1kg/30litres which should be about 7-8 dKH which is roughly what Hanna checker is saying

I really don't know what else to check, the only thing which is odd is the waste is being reported much higher than is being produced - waste on dosing pump 3 is showing as 1439ml in the container at most its 950ml - this has been consistently high

I've posted this on GHL's forum too but bigger audience on here, hopefully someone can explain why I'm getting a consistent high reading

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently setup a KH Director and it is still reporting high dKH. Reports around 2-3 dKH higher than actual value. Here is what I have tried, some of it several times

1. Measured and remeasured all the lines
2. Calculated volume by disconnecting and dispensing into a 50ml graduated cylinder - twice - this was within 2ml of measured/ calculated volume by length
3. Re-calibrated pH probe 3 times - all readings after calibration have been within .2 of 4 and 7
4. Re-calibrated dosing heads twice - each calibration within 0.5ml of each other
5. Checked for air bubbles, multiple flushing and venting reagent
6. I ordered some GHL KH reference fluid and its ran three times 10.2, 10.1, 10 and 10.5 - so very consistent just 2.5 - 3dKH over the reference fluid that its testing
7. For tank water Hanna checker gives me a dKH of 8 and KHD gives me a consistent 10 - 10.3

Saltwater is Tropic Marin Pro made up to std strength i.e. 1kg/30litres which should be about 7-8 dKH which is roughly what Hanna checker is saying

I really don't know what else to check, the only thing which is odd is the waste is being reported much higher than is being produced - waste on dosing pump 3 is showing as 1439ml in the container at most its 950ml - this has been consistently high

I've posted this on GHL's forum too but bigger audience on here, hopefully someone can explain why I'm getting a consistent high reading
I had the same issue, pick up a small scale from Amazon and measure with the scale, you’ll start noticing accurate results after couple of tests.

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I matched mine with the trident when I had it and it was 2.4dkh off, and with the measurement with the scale it was the same exact.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, pick up a small scale from Amazon and measure with the scale, you’ll start noticing accurate results after couple of tests.
Happy to try that but surely a graduated measuring cylinder should be relatively accurate and I've calibrated the pumps several times with close results each time

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to try that but surely a graduated measuring cylinder should be relatively accurate and I've calibrated the pumps several times with close results each time
Lol that’s what I thought it was also, I used a cylinder at first. But had to recalibrate everything with scale. My scale converts the weight the ML so it was easy. For the sample line put exactly the same ML you get from the scale that’s including with the filter. I filled everything from the ghl command center from the computer, so it didn’t ask for any water filter, if I remember correctly. So just input the total amount you get off that tube.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that’s what I thought it was also, I used a cylinder at first. But had to recalibrate everything with scale. My scale converts the weight the ML so it was easy. For the sample line put exactly the same ML you get from the scale that’s including with the filter. I filled everything from the ghl command center from the computer, so it didn’t ask for any water filter, if I remember correctly. So just input the total amount you get off that tube.
Just ordered some scales accurate to 0.1ml - did you find the weighed value to be higher or lower than the measured value by tube length or measuring cylinder? - I just can't see how its vastly different based on an 80ml sample size. My current reading is 2-3 higher so that's 20-30%, would that not translate to sample size/ reagent used being 20-30% off. Calibrated sample pump is 38.5ml/min so it would have to be wrong by around 7.5 -11ml, guess smaller margins on reagent as its only 6.5ml/min so 1.3- 1.95ml so I guess that's the most likely if it is that

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some scales accurate to 0.1ml - did you find the weighed value to be higher or lower than the measured value by tube length or measuring cylinder? - I just can't see how its vastly different based on an 80ml sample size. My current reading is 2-3 higher so that's 20-30%, would that not translate to sample size/ reagent used being 20-30% off. Calibrated sample pump is 38.5ml/min so it would have to be wrong by around 7.5 -11ml, guess smaller margins on reagent as its only 6.5ml/min so 1.3- 1.95ml so I guess that's the most likely if it is that
So for the tube length measurement with there calculations it was higher, when I used the scale I got a lower reading. Also for the pump calibration also I got a lower reading compared to using a cylinder, but I just don’t know how much. And I was comparing my alk readings to the trident (which was really accurate) when I had mine, that’s when I noticed the high readings from the khd.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just used some basic kitchen food scales and that came out at 4ml for the reagent but scales not accurate to decimal points. I've turned off measurements until I get scales tomorrow

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the Way I measured mine was, I filled up the sample line with water till the out section of the doser head and reversed back the water to the scale container till everything was dispensed out and measured it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the readings is consistently off - you can use this feature

1615992150099.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the readings is consistently off - you can use this feature

1615992150099.png

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks, I've seen that option but the documentation also states something along the line if you use it you are moving away from lab grade configuration. Also I'd much prefer it to work correctly i.e. measure the reference solution at 7.5 +/- 0.2 dKH

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've seen that option but the documentation also states something along the line if you use it you are moving away from lab grade configuration. Also I'd much prefer it to work correctly i.e. measure the reference solution at 7.5 +/- 0.2 dKH
After calibration (with scale), and the settling in period which is also advised, they had me use the adjustment feature. By about 12% if I recall correctly. Indication was it would affect anything and it hasn't to my knowledge.

I agree it would be nicer to have it lined up with the calibration fluid but i suppose it is compensating for some constant in my case (length of sample tube maybe as mine is a bit long).
Also make sure to factor in the volume of the in line filter...

Tony

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After calibration (with scale), and the settling in period which is also advised, they had me use the adjustment feature. By about 12% if I recall correctly. Indication was it would affect anything and it hasn't to my knowledge.

I agree it would be nicer to have it lined up with the calibration fluid but i suppose it is compensating for some constant in my case (length of sample tube maybe as mine is a bit long).

Tony
I'll be disappointed if I have to use the adjustment after spending hours calibrating and purchasing reference fluid and scales

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration differences based on weight
Reagent cylinder 6.5ml/min Weight 4.4ml/min
Sample cylinder 38.5ml/min Weight 37.9ml/min

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tony
Mine was accurate without any adjustment, could be wrong calculation.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you calibrate with reagent fluid pump - I hope you use the reagent as a liquid. I use to make 3 - 5 calibration runs - take the weight and divide with the number of runs. The difference for the reagent would play an important role.

Sincerely Lasse

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your sample intake routing handled? Is the filter mounted for horizontal water draw? Is your KHD mounted above the doser 2.1?

There are a lot of factors that can mess things up with the KHD. If everything is operating properly (measured and calibrated) it will be near dead-on with an accurate reference standard.

OP
OP
r21

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you calibrate with reagent fluid pump - I hope you use the reagent as a liquid. I use to make 3 - 5 calibration runs - take the weight and divide with the number of runs. The difference for the reagent would play an important role.

Sincerely Lasse
Yes, I use the reagent as the fluid to calibrate - I doubt 0.1M acid has a particularly higher density than water but just in case I did use it, just as I used tank water for the sample line,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back