Kick ich - Yeah or no?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DD0513
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DD0513

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 2, 2024
Messages
111
Reaction score
45
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does kick ich work as intended. I have a blue tang that appears to have gotten stressed during a water change and now has what appears to be ich just 18 hours later. I have several invertebrates and half a dozen other fish, clowns, gobies, gramma and a damsel. So does kick ich work? Is it truly safe for invertebrates?
 
Does kick ich work as intended. I have a blue tang that appears to have gotten stressed during a water change and now has what appears to be ich just 18 hours later. I have several invertebrates and half a dozen other fish, clowns, gobies, gramma and a damsel. So does kick ich work? Is it truly safe for invertebrates?
No - currently, to the best of my knowledge, there are no truly effective, reef-safe/invert-safe treatments for ich.

The options for dealing with ich currently are copper, hyposalinity, or just managing the ich through good health, good water quality, and low stress.

For copper treatment and hyposalinity:
if you want to treat ich effectively, you need either copper medication (chelated copper like Coppersafe or Copper Power at 2.25-2.5ppm for 30 days after the last ich trophonts disappear is recommended) or hyposalinity (drop your salinity to 1.009 and keep the tank at that salinity for 30 days after the last signs/symptoms of the disease disappear)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.880546/
 
The options for dealing with ich currently are copper, hyposalinity, or just managing the ich through good health, good water quality, and low stress.

+1

The best way is to pull your fish, treat with copper, and follow your tank. Solve the problem once and for all, and QT your next additions.

Best of luck!
 
I have never had any luck solely with Kick-ich in the DT. And based on online reviews, very few have. The ones that claimed success reportedly dosed for 6+ weeks. If the fish is already stressed or immune compromised, it would likely die long before this.

After removing the fish and putting them into QT with Copper Power -- I dose Kick-Ich into the tank for the same duration to help ensure any theront gets killed once they emerge, hopefully preventing re-infection. I mean -- what else can you do?
 
Does kick ich work as intended. I have a blue tang that appears to have gotten stressed during a water change and now has what appears to be ich just 18 hours later. I have several invertebrates and half a dozen other fish, clowns, gobies, gramma and a damsel. So does kick ich work? Is it truly safe for invertebrates?
How large is your tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new