Killer Snail ID

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone ID these snails? I bought them as Nassarius snails, but I think they killed my shrimp. So all my inverts are sitting in a quarantine tank. I fed them with mysis, the shrimp was going crazy for it. I came downstairs an hour later, and two of the snails were eating the shrimp. They seem to be a bit too large for Nassarius ( the mushroom is about 1/2 dollar size). Has anyone experienced this before?

snail.jpg snail 2.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't kill your shrimp. It died for whatever reason, and they're eating it. In the short life of a shrimp, a lot can happen in an hour. What can't happen is two snails running it down and killing it. I'd reintroduce the invertebrates.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelk of some kind, I've heard they are sometimes sold under the Nassarius moniker. They will eat live prey items. Are you certain that isnt the molt?
Nah, I can't find him anywhere in a small 13 gal tank. Plus it looks fully colored.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't kill your shrimp. It died for whatever reason, and they're eating it. In the short life of a shrimp, a lot can happen in an hour. What can't happen is two snails running it down and killing it. I'd reintroduce the invertebrates.
I know it sounds far-fetched, but I really cannot another explanation.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp only live a few years at most. Given that most are collected as adults from the wild, they often live a few months in captivity. Even if they are whelks, they still wouldn't be able to catch a shrimp. Whelks only feed on snails and other slow things, they can't catch shrimp.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp only live a few years at most. Given that most are collected as adults from the wild, they often live a few months in captivity. Even if they are whelks, they still wouldn't be able to catch a shrimp. Whelks only feed on snails and other slow things, they can't catch shrimp.
Maybe he was dying and they grabbed him. He did look fine to be an hour earlier. Pretty weird to see thou.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 85 42.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 48.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back