Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also noticed that it hits harder if the algae is in more light vs shaded

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have serious GHA on frag plugs, some on rock, and small patches of valonia I'm afraid to try and remove because they always break when I do. Anyway, I got some of this stuff and some Vibrant. Trying Vibrant first since it's less expensive...anyone have any reviews who has tried both products? Anyone tried them simultaneously?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have serious GHA on frag plugs, some on rock, and small patches of valonia I'm afraid to try and remove because they always break when I do. Anyway, I got some of this stuff and some Vibrant. Trying Vibrant first since it's less expensive...anyone have any reviews who has tried both products? Anyone tried them simultaneously?
Breaking bubble algae and releasing spores is a myth. Many people solved their problems by scrubbing the algae away outside if water.

If you shred them to bits all the bits will grow, then spread out like zoas.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking bubble algae and releasing spores is a myth. Many people solved their problems by scrubbing the algae away outside if water.

If you shred them to bits all the bits will grow, then spread out like zoas.
So what's the "correct" way to really get rid of them?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying there's a correct way, but I'm saying popping the algae doesn't make it spread. It spreads physically like zoa's.

The people I know who have killed it did so by either

- removing the rock and scrubbing it (before you say that's only possible with small tanks, a club member with a 400g is who I'm referencing and got rid if it in one thorough treatment)

- API AlgaeFix

And potentially the ReefHD in this thread

Although annoying, BA is pretty safe. It can take over lightning quick, but will take forever to actually harm a coral. Just don't worry about popping them, that's pure myth based on absolutely nothing.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x dose wiped it out in a little over a month. I am now seeing some new growth (4-5 bubbles or so) in different spots, so it isn't a long term cure in my case. If local control doesn't work, I would redo the treatment as it didn't have any problems.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x dose wiped it out in a little over a month. I am now seeing some new growth (4-5 bubbles or so) in different spots, so it isn't a long term cure in my case. If local control doesn't work, I would redo the treatment as it didn't have any problems.

Unfortunate, but good to know!

So far for me, all the bubble algae is turning white and dying off. I'm getting a little cyano but no biggie, I'm happy to see the bubble algae die off.

Coralline Algae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here. My red bubble algae is coming back. I'm going to try a second 4x treatment.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. My red bubble algae is coming back. I'm going to try a second 4x treatment.

Scrub it off immediately. Scrubbing away bubble algae can kill it so long as you're diligent. Spending another 30/45/60 on a bottle, and waiting a month, is not the best option. That just kills off the beneficial algae also, and starts you back at square one, where invasive algaes are able to easily take over because no good algaes are keeping them at bay.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using as dosage for bryopsis with Reef Flux, 20 mg per 10 gallons of water volume?
Also since there is mention of Chaeto die off, would you think that decreasing the lighting schedule for your refugium or reactor would help curb the die off?

TIA

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my experience was good and bad overall.
I’ve done 2 treatments of reef hd with a week between treatments and have some bubble algae popping up again. It did eradicate 99% of it from my tank but I believe that light has something to do with it dying. The shaded ones never died and since I have a AIO the back chamber still has some. Maybe I’ll try some vibrant or some emerald crabs again. Not giving up on destroying them lol. Hope others have better luck than me.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does this stuff take to work? I added mine (2x dose as prescribed on the bottle) last weekend and have seen no change at all to my bubble algae problem. it is still as green and thick as can be.

snipersps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question what's the difference between product HD Reef flux and

Flux Rx-bryopsis and green hair algae treatment-blue life usa.

Is the difference just the brand or are the two completely different products

BigOrangeTabby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come out of lurking mode to add to this thread. I have a 1-year-old, 43-gallon mixed reef (34 gallon display, 9 gallon sump). In terms of coral, it's stocked primarily with LPS and zoas, as well as a BTA. I have a few fish in there (clownfish, firefish, yellow watchman goby, blenny, mandarin dragonet), 3 shrimp (2 cleaners, 1 pistol), a handful of snails (astreas, margaritas, etc.), as well as one tuxedo urchin. The sump contains a skimmer and refugium (stocked with sea lettuce and biocubes/blocks).

I have been fighting a horrific bubble algae outbreak for the past 6 months. I've tried manually picking the stuff off, taking the rocks out and scrubbing them, using unseemly language... it always comes back with a vengeance. A week ago, I started the Reef HD protocol that several of you described (4 capsules per 10 gallons; 16 capsules for 40 gallons). I took out all of the carbon, and have the skimmer shut off. I'm adding my data to everyone else's, with great appreciation to all of you for posting your results. Thank you!!!

Progress Notes...

A) 8 Days - Similar to previous posters, I'm seeing some bubble algae turn white and collapse in on themselves. I'd estimate less than 5% at this point, but it's still early. Also similar to previous posters - the die-off is more pronounced higher up in the tank, closer to the light. I will update results each week.

B) Casualties - My tuxedo urchin died last night, a week into this treatment. However, I am not sure that there actually is a causal relationship, although the urchin had been in the tank two months prior and was doing fine. The other livestock in the tank are not showing signs of stress.

C) Water Parameters - Despite not having the skimmer running this past week and not doing my usual weekly water change, my nitrates are at 1 ppm (according to Nyos testing kit).

Questions...

A) At what point did you start running your skimmer again? When did you start water changes again?

Anyhow - thank you all for sharing your experiences with Reef HD and bubble algae... I hope that sharing my experience can be helpful, too!

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this stuff worked for me and eradicated the bubble algae. however, within 2 months it is all back and more. so, i say it works a short term fix. but, does not wipe out the population for good.

Coralline Algae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same result. The bubble came back worse than before. I'll give it one more shot, since some people haven't had the same experience.

SteveConn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that the dang stuff is feeding in nutrients left over from the die off.
Mine is bouncing back as well. Even though I had a large die off, the BA was thick, as in layers deep. I’m considering scrubbing down what I can, removing as much as possible, then redosing my tank in hopes of killing off the rest... however, my tank is 7ft/250g and an expense I am unsure about in terms of treating with another 150$ of the drug again.

Has anyone had long term success?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back