KMS - Reef #1: Build Thread

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lurking here on the forum for a long time but haven't really had a chance to take the time to post along the way. I'm a bit late to the game with this but I figured I should finally get around to posting my build thread.

I have kept fairly detailed records along the way and have tons of pictures. I figure that since the tank is now fairly established and I am at a point where I am happy with the direction it is taking, I will create the thread in a way that highlights the mistakes I made along the way and what I have learned from the process.

To start here is a little bit about me. I got my start in the aquarium hobby while I was in the first year of my undergraduate studies (thanks to a bored friend with a betta fish). This friend would send weekly updates of her fish. As a joke I went to a LFS and picked up a fish myself so that I could reply with my own fish update. I was ensured by an employee that the 2.5 gallon tank would be more than large enough. Once I returned home and had it all set up, I decided to look the fish up. It turned out to be a bumblebee cichlid that would need a much larger tank. I went back to the store to try and return the fish and instead the manager traded me tanks for no extra charge as a show of good faith (29g so still to small but would allow for some grow out time). This led me to explore African cichlids and from there I went on to keeping a planted tank. Being easily bored and stubborn, when I was told cichlids and plants don't mix I decided to try it out. This is the planted cichlid tank I kept before switching over to reefing.
Planted Cichlid Growout.jpg

Last September, I moved home before getting married and moved the tank over 300km, half full of water in the trunk of my car(bad idea, I know). My parents, having watched the tank during our honeymoon decided they wanted to keep it. I was getting bored with it by that point and so I decided to set up a reef tank. Below is a picture of my reef tank how it sits now.

20171016_162004.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Currently I have 2 x Hydra26, a 25w FluvalSEA full spectrum marine LED strip, and 2 x 24w giesemann super actnic t5 bulbs over the tank.

Last edited:

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Currently I have 2 x Hydra26, a 25w FluvalSEA full spectrum marine LED strip, and 2 x 24w giesemann super actnic t5 bulbs over the tank.
Nice! I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but what size is this tank?

OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now let me start by saying I made every mistake in the book and the first few months of this tank's existence were basically a trial by fire. I took advice from LFS workers who knew nothing about marine aquariums, and looked literally nothing up. I moved way too fast and didn't practice patience at all. Because of these mistakes, I have learned a lot the hard way. If I could give anyone just starting out any advice it would be to practice patience and do your own research.

When I finally decided to get started setting up the tank, I made a trip to the LFS and asked a lot of questions. Satisfied that the worker seemed to know what he was talking about and thinking to myself that it seemed easy enough I came home with my first purchases:
Dry Rock
Dry Rock.jpg

Live rock & some coral
Bucket of coral.jpg

More coral and an anemone
Corals & Anemone.jpg

Obviously I had not done my research as I returned with dry rock, a bunch coral, and a severely bleached anemone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly, I was able to keep the tank nutrients under control and none of my original inhabitants died. Once I found this forum and took to google, I learned a lot and the tank continuously improved. I went through the same hair algae phases as most new reefers and had my share of uglies. Some progression shots are shown below.

Early stocking:
Early Stocking.jpg

Hair algae:
Hair Algae.jpg

Finally starting to improve:
Settling Down.jpg

Now its starting to look good:
tank.jpg

A few months ago I redid my scape and added a sump (For the record, you can drill a full tank, I don't recommend it though):
Tank Drilling 2.jpg

Testing sump.jpg

Sump installed.jpg

The addition of the sump is what really improved the tank and although it was ok, the added flow really showcased the dead spots behind my dense rock structure. I also added some par38 to increase my lighting but accidentally dropped them in the tank a month later and upgraded to the two hydra 26 I have now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I decided it was time to get rid of my tank's dead spots and make some room for my nicer sps that had been moved to behind the rocks due to them growing faster than expected. I decided to use some branch rock on the right side and keep the front right of the tank open with a rock structure on the left. I drilled and pinned all of the connections and used 2 part epoxy at the joints to blend them. In order to avoid a mini cycle, I moved all of the rock I was removing to the sump and I am slowly removing it over a few weeks.
20171106_081754.jpg

20171106_222607.jpg

20171120_081501.jpg

Luckily, I did not loose a single coral in the rescape and things are beginning to encrust on the new rock. The new aquascape also allowed my indo-pacific elegance the space it deserved.

OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post a quick update with the new mount I am making for my lights. I am taking down my nano tank so I am taking the AI Prime HD from it and adding it between the two hydra26 I am currently running over the tank. I cut the plates out for the mount at work and welded it all together. It needs paint still but I wanted to test fit everything and make sure I don't want to make any changes before hand.

20171121_081932.jpg

I will be using shelf support brackets and hanging the fixture from the wall. I would hang it from the ceiling but its an apartment and I don't feel like repairing the popcorn ceiling when I move.

20171121_081926.jpg

I set it all up last night and so far the test fit looks good. I will leave it for a few days to make sure before I paint it.

20171121_233358.jpg

Full tank shot I took this morning.

20171122_082040.jpg

The fixture also has two 24w T5HO units running a giesemann actinicblue and a superactinic bulb. I find the extra actinic for a few hours keeps my elegance happy and increases it's fluorescence and teal coloration.

OP
OP
KMSReefer

KMSReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I have posted a full tank shot and at the request of my wife, I have redone the brickwork on the right side of my tank. Here is an updated fts.

20180314_220034_001.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back