Kole Tang with ich

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home, and inspected my tank as I do everyday, and noticed somthing unsettlingly. My kole tank appears to have severe ich, which is really weird because yesterday I didn’t see a speck on him. He is acting completely normal, eating swimming chasing around the other fish as he normally does, but has hundreds of tiny white dots on him. None of the other fish have it and I can’t figure out where it came from, he is not a new fish I’ve had him for over 2 months now. I can’t really put him in quarantine because he is way to fast and I can’t catch him or take apart the 60+ lbs of live rock. I also can’t dose copper into the tank because of all the coral. So right now I turned up the heat to 82 degrees, and tried feeding garlic which he loved. Is there anything else I can do? And recommendations?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hundreds of white spots sounds like velet and not ich. Which will not get better and it will eventually kill all of your fish. A picture would help. If so you need to qt all fish and fallow the display.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also start hydrogen peroxide doses to the display to buy time. It doesn't bother much of anything except feather dusters and zoas.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you should raise the temp with all the corals and inverts. Seems to hot.

Most important thing is to get him eating. Soak food in garlic. Give him dried nori daily. If it’s ich, your tang can fight through it and gain immunity. I don’t think there’s much hope if it’s marine velvet. Those kill fast while ich may not kill.

Recommend an appropriate sized UV sterilizer with a cleaner shrimp ASAP.

OP
OP
V

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B4FEE5D-A77E-43AC-B510-AE40173C8C35.jpeg
This isn’t my photo, but it looks almost exactly like this, just maybe half the amount of dots.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's that bad, it definitely needs to be caught and qurantined. Sadly your whole tank will need to go fallow if you don't want that to happen again.

OP
OP
V

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All thank you all for the advice, I increased my how many times I fed him per day, and I think I got lucky on this one. Today he seems to only have 1 or 2 spots lefts vs the 100+ he had on him a few days ago.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looked like velvet, and you are probably going to see a resurgence in the next 24-48hours.

OP
OP
V

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looked like velvet, and you are probably going to see a resurgence in the next 24-48hours.
In case anyone was wondering, it came back just like you said, I tried to treat in a separate tank nothing helped, also wiped out my clowns and lawnmower blenny. Hawkfish stayed healthy entire time though, gonna stay away from getting anymore fish for a while and just stick with corals.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone was wondering, it came back just like you said, I tried to treat in a separate tank nothing helped, also wiped out my clowns and lawnmower blenny. Hawkfish stayed healthy entire time though, gonna stay away from getting anymore fish for a while and just stick with corals.
dang that sucks... at this point you might as well pull the hawkish and treat him with ttm or copper and do a 45day fishless fallow on the tank.

I never QT'd back in the early 2000s. Seems diseases like velvet are just way more common now. Back then I feel like ich was the only thing really common and ich isn't to big of deal with established and healthy fish. When I restarted in February I committed to doing TTM with some meds. It's not to big of a commitment for 2 10g tanks and only about 2 weeks of time.

Would hate to hear about you getting wiped out again. Best of luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back