Krylon Fusion Cure Time

Mushroom Boy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
162
Reaction score
154
Location
Seattle
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you wait before adding items to your tank that have been painted with Krylon Fusion?
 
While I have personally used plumbing painted with Fusion in a few small applications, somewhere in here there is a thread where someone actually wrote to Krylon about this. Their response was that there is no safe cure time and they did not recommend their product for use under water in aquariums.

I lucked out and found the thread. Just copied and pasted the response from Krylon...

Quote from krylon:

"Thank you for contacting Krylon.

Unfortunately, we do not recommend any of our products to be applied below the water line. None of our products are immersion-rated or waterproof. Our products may last for a time under water, but there is no guarantee as to how long they will hold up.

Additionally, we have nothing that is FDA approved, which is important in terms of ingestion. Our products may harm the aquarium life.

I wish you the best of success with your search for a compatible product. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Daniel
Krylon Product Support"
 
Last edited:
I painted a PVC overflow pipe that is in my frag tank. I waited until I no longer gave off an odor. Then I soaked it in RODI water for 24 hrs. I haven't had any issues with it. Atleast not yet anyway (been in there 4 months)
 
Wow, intersting info, thanks for posting that Fin. My experience has always been more like yours and what MCFish posted and I was curious how long people were letting it cure before putting it into a tank. I wonder if their statement is more of a CYA.
 
Wow, intersting info, thanks for posting that Fin. My experience has always been more like yours and what MCFish posted and I was curious how long people were letting it cure before putting it into a tank. I wonder if their statement is more of a CYA.
Well, if I worked in Krylon Product Support and someone asked me a question like that, I suspect that would be my answer. :-)
 
Has worked fine for me for years. I'm guessing it's a canned response for liability purposes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new