OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have contemplated removing my sand as well. It never stays clean, never!
I think I'm going to do it. I know I'm at least going to remove a bit more and see if it helps any more. Hopefully it will, if not I'll take the rest out and hope I like the bare bottom look.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates man?
UPDATES!!! lol
Things are going ok. Sps is still pretty unhappy with the alk issues but things seem to be stabilizing. Diatoms are still an issue. I have been pretty busy with work and just got back from a trip for work so I hope to remove more sand tomorrow.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seems to be bouncing back from the alk mishap I did loose a few pieces and the sand is slowly ( I can't stress slow enough) clearing up. Acro colors aren't where they used to be bit I'm hoping things start coloring up again soon. I also added a tune powerhead I won in a contest a little while back, hoping the added flow helps with the sandbed. Thanks again tunze and R2R!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad things are starting to turn around for you! You'll get it back where it belongs, albeit slowly! Your Scoly is amazing as always!!!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad things are starting to turn around for you! You'll get it back where it belongs, albeit slowly! Your Scoly is amazing as always!!!
Me too!! Hoping things are on the up swing for a while. Looking forward to adding some new pieces when I'm sure things are looking good. I was extremely worried about the scoly, but it and the other lps/Zoas seemed pretty much uneffected.
Time heals all wounds
Very true! The hard part is waiting.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Kevin! Not sure what you're complaining about with that sand....it's a whole bunch cleaner looking than mine. :)

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Kevin! Not sure what you're complaining about with that sand....it's a whole bunch cleaner looking than mine. :)
Thanks Paul! Lol. I stired the sand a bit during my water change tonight. Each time I do this it takes longer for it to come back. One of these days I'm hoping it won't come back. Fingers crossed!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. :) that scoly is insane. And the yellow in the right corner. Crazy bright. Sry bout your diatom issue. You must keep up with it well. The tank pics are nice:) glad you didn't throw in the towel. The harder issues are the most rewarding to beat. I've had a few issues. ;-) but we love our tanks ;-)

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. :) that scoly is insane. And the yellow in the right corner. Crazy bright. Sry bout your diatom issue. You must keep up with it well. The tank pics are nice:) glad you didn't throw in the towel. The harder issues are the most rewarding to beat. I've had a few issues. ;-) but we love our tanks ;-)
Thank you very much! I think the throwing in the towel comment was out of frustration...lol. I love the hobby, not sure what I would do with my time without it lol. It will be very rewarding when/if the issues keep getting better.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your effort I'm sure it will continue to get better. And your welcome. :)

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't remove the sand if I were you. Diatoms will go away by themselves, just keep doing what you are doing . The tank looks great, colors will come back on their own as long as the parameters are in check. Add one nassarius snail for every gallon of water and they will do the work for you by turning it over. Cleaning crew in a tank is as important as anything else. I have nothing against a bare bottom but I always viewed a tank with sand more natural as the ocean.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove the sand if I were you. Diatoms will go away by themselves, just keep doing what you are doing . The tank looks great, colors will come back on their own as long as the parameters are in check. Add one nassarius snail for every gallon of water and they will do the work for you by turning it over. Cleaning crew in a tank is as important as anything else. I have nothing against a bare bottom but I always viewed a tank with sand more natural as the ocean.
Thank you! The plan for now is to keep the sand. I did remove a little which helped I just don't think I can make the jump to bare bottom. If it's the last resort I'll do it but I'm going to wait it out and up the CUC. So far the alk is staying stable and the dosing pumps seem to be pretty close to dialed in. Just a waiting game now as far as colors go.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to see some colors come back into my acros! Most browned out pretty bad with the recent issues. Hopefully things keep improving.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back