Kschweer: 57 rimless build

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would start a build thread for my new tank. As some may know I lost my tank during hurricane sandy. I tossed the old tank and am finally starting a new build. I helped a friend of mine plumb his new 180 and he let me have the 57 he had setup before the 180. Tanks is an oceanic 57g rimless, the dimensions are 36"x18"x21". Here it is when I picked it up a little over a week ago.
y9yhybuq.jpg

I took some time to clean it up and here is how it looks now.
egy2azat.jpg

I spent today constructing the stand. Dimensions are 36.5"x18.5" and 36" tall. I wanted the stand to be a bit taller than a "factory" stand for better viewing. Here are some pictures from today.
y6umy2a4.jpg
y5unavy7.jpg
e9adyvy3.jpg
ysabasev.jpg

My plan for tomorrow is to get the doors made, paint the back glass an hopefully get a coat of paint on the stand.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379220604.124405.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379220604.124405.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,026
Last edited:
OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the tank on the stand.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379220790.914368.jpg

After the stand is finished my next step will be to build a sump. Still trying to decide what size sump I will be using. Also debating between making one from a standard tank or building one from acrylic.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the tank on the stand.

After the stand is finished my next step will be to build a sump. Still trying to decide what size sump I will be using. Also debating between making one from a standard tank or building one from acrylic.

Build it from acrylic ;) you will be much happier in the end.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build it from acrylic ;) you will be much happier in the end.

My only issue with building from acrylic is that I am not familiar with the "structural" properties (for lack of a better term) of the acrylic. By this I mean will 1/4" acrylic be sufficient to use for the sump? I guess it all depends on size and how much water it will hold.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little more work done on the stand today. I brought the stand to my friends shop and built some panel doors for it. Glue is drying now, hopefully I will get the hinges installed and doors mounted in the next few days.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379274077.891707.jpg

Will also be using wood filler to fill all the nail holes and sanding everything to get it ready for paint. Still haven't decided what I want to do paint wise but it should come to me soon.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with building from acrylic is that I am not familiar with the "structural" properties (for lack of a better term) of the acrylic. By this I mean will 1/4" acrylic be sufficient to use for the sump? I guess it all depends on size and how much water it will hold.

I have a calculator that you can use and it will tell you exactly what to use based on your dimensions you come up with. I will send via pm if your interested.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a calculator that you can use and it will tell you exactly what to use based on your dimensions you come up with. I will send via pm if your interested.

That would be great. I have always been interested in doing some acrylic work. Thank you very much!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment list as follows:

Skimmer: reef octopus dnwb-110
Lights: 6x39w tek elite fixture with 6 royal blue LEDs
Flow: 2 mp10's. I have 1 need to pick up a second
Main pump: I have a mag 7 laying around but may switch to something a bit bigger so I can run a manifold. Possibly a water blaster
Reactors: BRS style carbon and gfo reactor and a nextreef mr1 biopellet reactor. Still undecided if I will run the pellets on this tank.

I plan to have a friend weld me up a light rail to hang the lights. I want to keep things looking as clean as possible. I'm thinking something along these lines

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379282937.334937.jpg

Also as I stated I'm am still undecided on a finish for the stand. I do want to paint it but not sure what color or what kind of paint at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the 57, it has been one of my favorite tanks! Although, the overflow box is a bit of a nusiance. I just started a build for my 150, but you can see some pictures of my 57 in there as well! Following along, and great job on the stand already!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the 57, it has been one of my favorite tanks! Although, the overflow box is a bit of a nusiance. I just started a build for my 150, but you can see some pictures of my 57 in there as well! Following along, and great job on the stand already!

Yea the overflow is my only problem with the tank. I was actually thinking about cutting it out and installing a glass holes overflow. Just think it may be too much work. Your tanks look great, can't wait to see the 150 stocked!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! If you're considering it, do it now. I know several people who have just cut the box back as well, it's really hard to get flow around it, unless you plan on two powerheads. I run an MP 40, as the glass is too thick for a mp 10. I suppose you could always put your return off one side and then the powerhead on the other side, I bought used and didn't plan that far ahead, and then once things go well I don't like to change them!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the doors and stand sanded and ready for paint today.

Here's a picture of the doors. Couldn't get a good picture of the stand because of how it was situated in the shop.
jaqu2ety.jpg

Doors should be mounted tomorrow and then I will bring the stand back to the shop I work out of to paint it.

Last edited:

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand looks great! Good effort on cleaning up the tank as well...looks brand new! Follwing along to see your progress...

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand looks great! Good effort on cleaning up the tank as well...looks brand new! Follwing along to see your progress...

Thank you! I'm very happy with how the stand is turning out. Cleaning the tank wasn't too bad but still a decent amount of work. I'm really happy I did it though. I know new coralline will grow but I wanted to start off with a clean slate. I'm really trying to take my time and do things right with this build. It's taking a little longer this way but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Hoping to get some more work done this weekend.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back