OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took both mp10s apart and found this on one. Had to look pretty hard but there is definitely some rust/corrosion. Think this could be part of my problem?

image.jpeg

Ordered the triton detox on the advice of @Diesel should be here Friday.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll have to inspect better when I clean them. I didn't notice until I took a real close look. I usually check for obvious wear when I clean them monthly, guess I disnt check well enough.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks, at least you found it before it got really bad

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if you tested for iron what it would be.
Going to try to get a triton test but it may take a while. Going to run some extra Carbon, a good water change and possibly cuprisorb incase any cooper was in the magnet.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that was it!

There's so many magnets in this hobby now, it's the first thing I think of now when I hear of unexplainable symptoms like that.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that was it!

There's so many magnets in this hobby now, it's the first thing I think of now when I hear of unexplainable symptoms like that.
I'm hoping so. Removed it and put some extra fresh carbon on line. Triton detox should be here Friday and I'm hoping to send some water out for a test too. Hopefully the new ecotech stuff comes quick, good thing is they are right in Pennsylvania so shipping should be quick to jersey. Thanks for the help, I got so focused on chemistry I didn't even think to look at magnets.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still pretty bummed about what's going on with the tank, lost a few pieces. Things do seem to be slowing down though. Got a box of goodies today from ecotech marine. 2 new wetsides and 2 QD drivers. These things are quiet!!! Time to start saving for a vectra m1 to replace my tempremental return pump.
image.jpeg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still pretty bummed about what's going on with the tank, lost a few pieces. Things do seem to be slowing down though. Got a box of goodies today from ecotech marine. 2 new wetsides and 2 QD drivers. These things are quiet!!! Time to start saving for a vectra m1 to replace my tempremental return pump.
image.jpeg
Nice man! I hope things start kicking back in for you!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Going to try to get a triton test but it may take a while. Going to run some extra Carbon, a good water change and possibly cuprisorb incase any cooper was in the magnet.
Wow sorry for your losses, this happened with my vortech and had mysterious so called "alk burn". For the longest time my mind was boggled untill i sent a test to triton. Mn and al where well over 100ugl, at first i thought it was my saltmix. Took my vortech out and it leaked about a cup of rust into my tank

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I ran metasorb and the polymer turned orange in about 3 days. I havnt sent any test out to triton yet because things got better. This was about 9 months ago when this happened. Lost a couple of acros and a nice sized lepto

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry for your losses, this happened with my vortech and had mysterious so called "alk burn". For the longest time my mind was boggled untill i sent a test to triton. Mn and al where well over 100ugl, at first i thought it was my saltmix. Took my vortech out and it leaked about a cup of rust into my tank

Thanks man! Just about the same story here. Thought it was chemistry related but everything tested fine even after having a friend test a few times for me too. Been doing water changes more frequently and running a bit of extra carbon. I also ordered some detox from triton on a suggestion from diesel and started that yesterday.

MattyBoomBatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading through your thread, awesome tank! Sorry about your recent issues, how have things been since you replaced your vortechs?

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading through your thread, awesome tank! Sorry about your recent issues, how have things been since you replaced your vortechs?
Thank you very much! The tank is doing a bit better since replacing the wet sides. Unfortunately most sps didn't really recover and something still seems a bit "off". The good Thing is my Zoas and palys, mushrooms, and LPS seem to be doing very well. However, I think the tank may come down for a little while in the near future. I started a new job and my fiancé is going bank to school for her masters so things are very hectic for us right now and the tank isn't getting the attention it deserves. Hopefully it will be a short break until things settle down for us a bit.

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't believe how clean you got your tank from it's original condition. Did you use any products that made the job easier?

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't believe how clean you got your tank from it's original condition. Did you use any products that made the job easier?
When cleaning the tank I used distilled vinegar, warm water, a razor blade and towel. The distilled vinegar loosend things up and I scrubbed what I could off after spraying things off. I used the razor blade to carefully scrape any tough spots off the glass. For the overflow I got what I could with vinegar and a scrub pad for cleaning glass. For the coraline that didn't come off the overflow I then took a towel soaked in warm water and vinegar (50/50) and laid it over the overflow and let it sit for a while adding vinegar as it dried out. After a few hours the remaining coraline basically wiped away.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back