Kschweer: 57 rimless build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by kschweer, Sep 15, 2013.

1. TUSI

TUSI Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018

Tank looks awsome nice.

kschweer likes this.

2. Arron209

Arron209 Acroholic R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Not yet, that's the pump I'm gonna go with on my new build. On my current tank I'm using an Ehiem pump

kschweer likes this.
  3. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Thanks man!! Hoping this pump holds out until I can get a new one. If not I have a few mag drives laying around would just need to plumb one in.

4. spspirate

spspirate Tidepool Explorer Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Looking good Kevin! I really like that orange monti!

kschweer likes this.
  5. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Thanks andy!!

6. TUSI

TUSI Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018

It might hold up. I had my reeflo do that and still running. All my pumps are old and have to look into a main pump at some point. Like the dc pumps.

7. kschweer

Unfortunately over the past few weeks I have been having some issues with the tank. Specifically SPS receding from the tips and some dying. My jack o lantern lepto seems to be doing the same. I have had some of these corals a long time and it's hard to watch. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Parameters all fall in line and have been checked by a friend without telling him what I was getting so the results were not biased in any way. Parameters are as follows:
    Alk: 8.3
    Cal: 410
    Mag: 1300
    No3: 10
    Po4: .03

The only thing that has changed is my bulbs but I changed them as I always do, 2 bulbs a week over 3 weeks. I'm slowly bringing the alk down incase that's the issue but I'm not sure why it would be. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

cameronh likes this.
  8. Arron209

Arron209 Acroholic R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Sorry to hear that man. Always sad seeing all that progress go downhill.

FGourdin and kschweer like this.
  9. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Maybe send off a Triton test?
    Could anything in the tank be leaching metals or something, like a rusting magnet?

hybridazn, TUSI and kschweer like this.
  10. kschweer

That was suggested on my local forum as well. Think that's what I'm going to do.

11. kschweer

Yea it's pretty tough to look at but I'm hoping I can turn things around.

12. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I would suggest maybe taking some action like skimming wet, running carbon and changing it frequently, and doing some large water changes.
    If something is contaminating your water, you want to get it out/dilute it.
    And think about any equipment you may have that could be leaching something.
    I believe @Diesel had a magnet in a Vortech rusting on him once that starting creating mysterious issues like this.
    I had a similar issue once and finally realized my Two Little Fishies magnetic algae clip was rusting.

kschweer and TUSI like this.
  13. TUSI

Hang in there brother, these things happen to all of us. Do couple of water changes just in case something is contaminating the tank water. Hold your temp steady which is harder to do in summer but I truly believe in it.

kschweer likes this.
  14. kschweer

Thanks man. I have been doing water changes and keeping the carbon fresh. I'll turn the skimmer up tomorrow and check al magnets. Thanks for the advice Dennis.

15. kschweer

Thanks tusi! I'll keep a closer eye on the temp as well.

16. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

K
    What is your PH swing from morning to evening?
    Is your No3 always at with the ALK at 8.3?
    Try to Detox and run after the detox some GAC for three days.
    You can try also a new bucket of salt and do a large water change.

17. kschweer

Ph doesn't swing very much usually 7.9-8 depending on time of the day. Alk is usually between 8.3-8.6 (salifert) and no3 ranges from 5-10 normally (salifert). Are you talking about triton detox?

18. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Yes, the triton detox.
    If you plan on to send a triton test in send two, one from the tank and one from your new salt water mix.
    I had the same experience not to long ago and it was a bad bucket of salt from tropic marine, they send me two new buckets if I would send the used bucket back.
    Sure it was the bucket ad they send me a email of the same results I had from triton.
    New buckets were all fine.

kschweer likes this.
  19. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

What Dennis recommended, I had major sps losses and had no idea why since all my parameters were in check and no unusual swings of sorts. I then pulled a Skimmer and found severely rusted volute and screws. As soon as I pulled it whatever sps was left showed improvement pretty quickly after water changes.

kschweer likes this.
  20. kschweer

Thank you guys. I appreciate the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted