Lanthanum Chloride vs Cerium Chloride (My Fish Are Dying)

mgav1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience regarding this product. I can also confirm orenda pr 10,000 is not aquarium safe. I could not find much info on this product. Unfortunately I came across your thread after having a similar experience. I have dosed on a doser heavily diluted lanthium chloride slowly into my skimmer for years without negative impact. I switched to this product when previous product became no longer available. one single comparable diluted dose killed half of my tangs in 4 hours. All fish had labored breathing. Corals and invert not affected. I did water change aeration and carbon.

Attachments

• 22EBD1AC-95AD-403E-89D3-CFC88966DD53.jpeg
    22EBD1AC-95AD-403E-89D3-CFC88966DD53.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
  • BE28E9AE-C4CC-43C4-84E2-4DF8F2EB76CA.jpeg
    BE28E9AE-C4CC-43C4-84E2-4DF8F2EB76CA.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 33
  • E1812134-BF9C-4EA3-9D75-B84FE60F97C2.jpeg
    E1812134-BF9C-4EA3-9D75-B84FE60F97C2.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 27

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience regarding this product. I can also confirm orenda pr 10,000 is not aquarium safe. I could not find much info on this product. Unfortunately I came across your thread after having a similar experience. I have dosed on a doser heavily diluted lanthium chloride slowly into my skimmer for years without negative impact. I switched to this product when previous product became no longer available. one single comparable diluted dose killed half of my tangs in 4 hours. All fish had labored breathing. Corals and invert not affected. I did water change aeration and carbon.

Sorry to hear this and thanks for the info.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible. Thanks for posting

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry..

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use an untested and unconfirmed product?

SeaKlear has been widely used and works very well when people show restraint and dose properly/sparingly with 1 micron sock in use.

This is what i've/people use.

Sorry for your loss
Does anyone really know what is in SeaKlear? Is it Lanthanum Chloride or possibly the more toxic Cerium Chloride since this is made for freshwater pools. I would be very careful with something like that

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Does anyone really know what is in SeaKlear? Is it Lanthanum Chloride or possibly the more toxic Cerium Chloride since this is made for freshwater pools. I would be very careful with something like that

Why make such statements and spread misinformation when SDS sheets are available for this product and they clearly state that Lanthanum Chloride is the ingredient.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why make such statements and spread misinformation when SDS sheets are available for this product and they clearly state that Lanthanum Chloride is the ingredient.

Actually I just went back and read the whole thread. All five pages. That's not something I had not done before I had originally posted a cautionary comment. But now that I've read the whole thread it seems it IS cerium chloride. Your spec sheet is from 2015! And there is comments here that said they spoke to the manufacturer and they indeed have switched over to ceriumn chloride at some point. I don't know where you got that spec sheet but can you find a updated one?

Last edited:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I just went back and read the whole thread. All five pages. That's not something I had not done before I had originally posted a cautionary comment. But now that I've read the whole thread it seems it IS cerium chloride. Your spec sheet is from 2015! And there is comments here that said they spoke to the manufacturer and they indeed have switched over to ceriumn chloride at some point. I don't know where you got that spec sheet but can you find a updated one?
I bought a bottle of SeaKlear Phosphate Remover last year, and it lists the ingredients as "lanthanum trichloride, water". I also spoke to them by phone last year and confirmed the product is lanthanum chloride.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bottle of SeaKlear Phosphate Remover last year, and it lists the ingredients as "lanthanum trichloride, water". I also spoke to them by phone last year and confirmed the product is lanthanum chloride.
That's good to know. There seem to be some posts on here that were contradicting each other. I was initially just raising a logical concern because I know there are a few different chemicals that can be used for removing phosphates. I did just go to their website and look for ingredients listed but the link for the SDS on their phosphate remover product isn't there. The phosphate 4000 product does show lanthanum chloride. So I guess it would depend on what people use. Everyone please just be careful.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

With all due respect, your comprehension level is astonishingly low. You're spreading misinformation! Too bad there isn't a thumbs down button on the forum. Sorry that you wasted your time misreading all 5 pages.

The product that contains Cerium Chloride discussed in this thread is called Orenda PR-10,000. This is in fact the product that switched its formula from Lanthanum Chloride to Cerium Chloride which @Randy Holmes-Farley confirmed is extremely toxic to aquatic animals.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used SeaKlear phosphate remover l, I will look closer at it tomorrow. When I dosed it I used an IV bag and dripped it into my skimmer over about 8 hours. So sorry for your loss

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used SeaKlear phosphate remover l, I will look closer at it tomorrow. When I dosed it I used an IV bag and dripped it into my skimmer over about 8 hours. So sorry for your loss
Ignore the flurry of Activity - It's an old thread.
Your SeaKlear is fine.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, your comprehension level is astonishingly low. You're spreading misinformation! Too bad there isn't a thumbs down button on the forum. Sorry that you wasted your time misreading all 5 pages.

The product that contains Cerium Chloride discussed in this thread is called Orenda PR-10,000. This is in fact the product that switched its formula from Lanthanum Chloride to Cerium Chloride which @Randy Holmes-Farley confirmed is extremely toxic to aquatic animals.
With all due respect to you also, are you feeling okay? Why do you feel compelled to respond in such a rude and condescending matter when there's no reason for it. It's your second post now speaking to me that way. I use LaCl3 regularly to control my phosphates. I'm interested in the subject and had concerns whether these pool products are safe. I stumbled across this thread late to the discussion. We all know how these threads go. Many voices sometimes talking over each other oftentimes contradicting each other. When skimming through them it can be hard to follow along completely. There is absolutely no reason for you to speak to me in such a condescending manner and to characterize my posts as misinformation.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the one who contacted the vender... The spec sheet was out of date, the vender has switched to Cerium because it is cheeper and more affective. If you use this product in your tank, even in small small amounts, you can kill sensitive fish and you will kill micro organisms that your tank needs. My tank has never fully recovered. If you get an old bottle, it may be fine... but not worth the risk.

Have been reefing for almost 40 years and have some experience. This thread was my experience with the new product. Be aware.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the one who contacted the vender... The spec sheet was out of date, the vender has switched to Cerium because it is cheeper and more affective. If you use this product in your tank, even in small small amounts, you can kill sensitive fish and you will kill micro organisms that your tank needs. My tank has never fully recovered. If you get an old bottle, it may be fine... but not worth the risk.

Have been reefing for almost 40 years and have some experience. This thread was my experience with the new product. Be aware.
Thanks for your input. I did see many of the comments came from you originally. To be clear for everyone who might stumble on this thread, are you talking about SeaKlear "Phosphate Remover"? If so, tell that to @BZOFIQ . He seems very defensive to my suggestion that these pool products should be used with caution. . The SeaKlear website has a documents page and the SDS on their "Phosphate 4000" product clearly states "Lanthanum salt derivatives". But their product called "Phoshphate Remover" has no SDS associated with it. Its the only product in their list that does not. Maybe thats the one that has switched to Cerium and they pulled the SDS from the website because it hasn't been updated yet.

I have no idea. I just posted on this thread yesterday to offer an innocent cautionary comment. I'm not trying to share misinformation, just sharing thoughts because I use Brightwell PhosphateE and would like a more economical option as well

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thread is certainly going to confuse people.

Can you clarify exactly which product you asked a vendor about that you are referring to in this post?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I did see many of the comments came from you originally. To be clear for everyone who might stumble on this thread, are you talking about SeaKlear "Phosphate Remover"? If so, tell that to @BZOFIQ . He seems very defensive to my suggestion that these pool products should be used with caution. . The SeaKlear website has a documents page and the SDS on their "Phosphate 4000" product clearly states "Lanthanum salt derivatives". But their product called "Phoshphate Remover" has no SDS associated with it. Its the only product in their list that does not. Maybe thats the one that has switched to Cerium and they pulled the SDS from the website because it hasn't been updated yet.

I have no idea. I just posted on this thread yesterday to offer an innocent cautionary comment. I'm not trying to share misinformation, just sharing thoughts because I use Brightwell PhosphateE and would like a more economical option as well

The Seaklear Phosphate Remover SDS dated from 2009 says it is lanthanum:

THe one from 2014 says it is confidential:

The one from 2016 says it is lanthanum:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would be devastated !

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that would only happen if you could see that the water clouded up... I used very very little.. 0.4 mL
Not going to dive deep… I messed with LaCl over a decade ago for the better part of a year. Damaged/killed several fish at extremely tiny dosages into layered low micron socks.

Will never use it again given My experience. The fact that a materials switch can happen because this is not a hobby manufactured product further cements my opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back