Large Birds nest colony RTN

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have experienced this and it’s pretty much gone but just wondering what could have caused it. My parameters have not changed much. Did a 5 gallon water change just to remove some detritus. It may have been slowly coming on but by the time I noticed the interior of the colony was gone and Two days later it’s only the tips left. I have frags of it on the other side of the tank with no issues but they get less light. Could it have gotten too dense for proper flow? Just trying to avoid it in the future. Managed to clip off a bunch of tips for frags so not devastated but just concerned about it happening to something else. My temp has been slowly creeping up but nothing drastic. My mag also went from 1350 to 1450 but everything else has been stable.

Alk 7.8
Ph 8-8.25
NO3 has been low .75ppm
Po4 .02
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had similar when i had high salinity then got Dinos in the tank. I have many nice pieces now. How is your water flow and what are your parameters?

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had similar when i had high salinity then got Dinos in the tank. I have many nice pieces now. How is your water flow and what are your parameters?
I listed them at the bottom of the post. Are they not showing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I listed them at the bottom of the post. Are they not showing?
I only see temperature. If its apex readings, i would definitely take water sample to a trusted LFS for a second reading and for comparison. Not that I don’t trust Neptune results but they’ve let many of us down in the past

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colony was right next to my Power head that is intermittent. have chaotic flow through out the tank. Polyps would have good Random movement.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Parameters are pretty stable

Alk 7.8
Cal 450
Mag 1450 was 1350 so it came up a bit after water change
No3 was .75ppm. I usually have to dose occasionally and now reading 2ppm
PO4 .02
Temp is peaking at 80 at the end of the light cycle.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to my birdsnest when I didn't realize my salinity was low. I thought it was at 1.026, but is was actually 1.020. You listed other parameters, but I didn't see your salinity.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.025 on refractometer and 34.1(1.0257) on Neptune probe

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the parameter information provided the only thing that jumps out is the latest temperature going past 80 degrees (That considering the cooler climate we have had these past few nights and the combination of spike in Magnesium and high salinity may have had contributed).

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the parameter information provided the only thing that jumps out is the latest temperature going past 80 degrees (That considering the cooler climate we have had these past few nights and the combination of spike in Magnesium and high salinity may have had contributed).
Hoping that’s the case and not anything worse. Although my salinity reading never fluctuated from 1.025 except for temps effect on it.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time my birdsnest looked like that was when my salinity went way up because my niece stopped topping off her pico and also when I had a ato failure and it went way down. But mine took days to show not and it got better once everything was stable. Could be a bacterial infection I would recommend to dip the colony to see if there is any improvement.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that @Ernie Crucet .Hopefully it was just the change in temperature.Birdnest seem to be finicky about this.For me they usually go down when the temperature drops at night.Maybe the frags you were able to save will be more resilient in the future.
Other than that I would check for pest.I have seen this kind of rapid damage to Birdnest occur from those wicked spiders.

OP
OP
Ernie C

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that @Ernie Crucet .Hopefully it was just the change in temperature.Birdnest seem to be finicky about this.For me they usually go down when the temperature drops at night.Maybe the frags you were able to save will be more resilient in the future.
Other than that I would check for pest.I have seen this kind of rapid damage to Birdnest occur from those wicked spiders.
Thanks, not too bummed as it was way overgrown and other corals were starting to grow into it. I have older frags of it that grow way quick so not a terrible loss. just worried about if it happens to any of my other corals cause then I'll freak out. =)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a birdsnest die because some hair algae got tangled in it. Even when it was removed it still died.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have experienced this and it’s pretty much gone but just wondering what could have caused it. My parameters have not changed much. Did a 5 gallon water change just to remove some detritus. It may have been slowly coming on but by the time I noticed the interior of the colony was gone and Two days later it’s only the tips left. I have frags of it on the other side of the tank with no issues but they get less light. Could it have gotten too dense for proper flow? Just trying to avoid it in the future. Managed to clip off a bunch of tips for frags so not devastated but just concerned about it happening to something else. My temp has been slowly creeping up but nothing drastic. My mag also went from 1350 to 1450 but everything else has been stable.

Alk 7.8
Ph 8-8.25
NO3 has been low .75ppm
Po4 .02
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rtn is usually caused by alk swing what kind of alk additive do you use

CRookSkee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is very weird because this exact same thing happened to my colony about a couple months ago. Just out of nowhere lost tissue from center and eventually ended up dying. No swings of any kind. I kinda thought it was my sixlines wrasse fault since it would sleep in it and make it's bbubble cocoon.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back