Large new build.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize there was a large tank section in member forum. Is it possible to move this over? If not I'm going to restart in there later when I'm done with the daily progress while it's still early.

#mods

Love the Idea Gyrefat. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mods

Love the Idea Gyrefat. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Zack...Thanks for the tag. @Gyrrfat, I moved it over to the large tank forum and now I'm signed up to follow along on this one!!! Can't wait to see this one come together.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an interesting build. Were you planning to use your basement floor and basement wall as part of the sump? Have you starting thinking about or planning humidity control and heating solutions?

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an interesting build. Were you planning to use your basement floor and basement wall as part of the sump? Have you starting thinking about or planning humidity control and heating solutions?
Yes the idea is use the floor and walls as half of sump. That part of the basement is completely underground so I will have minimal temp changes throughout the year. I will be using a titanium heat exchanger off of my heating system. Generator should be in within 2 weeks. Then I will be cutting a door in the back basement so I can bring in the tanks as I get them.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the idea is use the floor and walls as half of sump. That part of the basement is completely underground so I will have minimal temp changes throughout the year. I will be using a titanium heat exchanger off of my heating system. Generator should be in within 2 weeks. Then I will be cutting a door in the back basement so I can bring in the tanks as I get them.

I have not looked into building something like this before but there are a couple of things I would research prior to committing to using the basement floor and wall. The basement wall and floor are likely not attached to each other which means where they meet could be subject to expansion and contraction which can damage a waterproofing seal. I also see some efflorescence on your basement walls near the bottom corners which means that moisture is bringing salts through the concrete. The efflorescence on its own is not an issue but if you are going to be waterproofing that concrete it might be more susceptible failure due to the moisture present in the concrete at the time of application or during a time where the water pressure in the ground is higher than the water pressure in the sump which could cause a waterproofing failure. If it can be avoided I would also not have any water or plumbing connections over the sump or the displays as a plumbing leak could devastate a system. The only other concern would be the temperature of the wall and floor during the summer and the winter. My basement stayed in the 60's year round before I had my aquarium running. If you have the same scenario where your basement walls and floors are typically cool year round then it might act as a heat sink and cool your tank water to the point where there is a higher demand on the aquarium heating system. Again these are just some things I would research as I have not built something that would incorporate parts of my basement floor and wall to hold water. It took me a little over two years to get my system running and I spent a lot of time researching and planning. I would take your time in building such a large system and ensure you have a good plan for humidity control in place before anything is filled with water. I look forward to seeing updates on this build.

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not looked into building something like this before but there are a couple of things I would research prior to committing to using the basement floor and wall. The basement wall and floor are likely not attached to each other which means where they meet could be subject to expansion and contraction which can damage a waterproofing seal. I also see some efflorescence on your basement walls near the bottom corners which means that moisture is bringing salts through the concrete. The efflorescence on its own is not an issue but if you are going to be waterproofing that concrete it might be more susceptible failure due to the moisture present in the concrete at the time of application or during a time where the water pressure in the ground is higher than the water pressure in the sump which could cause a waterproofing failure. If it can be avoided I would also not have any water or plumbing connections over the sump or the displays as a plumbing leak could devastate a system. The only other concern would be the temperature of the wall and floor during the summer and the winter. My basement stayed in the 60's year round before I had my aquarium running. If you have the same scenario where your basement walls and floors are typically cool year round then it might act as a heat sink and cool your tank water to the point where there is a higher demand on the aquarium heating system. Again these are just some things I would research as I have not built something that would incorporate parts of my basement floor and wall to hold water. It took me a little over two years to get my system running and I spent a lot of time researching and planning. I would take your time in building such a large system and ensure you have a good plan for humidity control in place before anything is filled with water. I look forward to seeing updates on this build.
Thanks for your input,I've taken most you brought up into consideration and have plans for all except the humity. I can always install some exhaust fans. Or come up with another option if it's an issue. i am in no rush. This is for fun. If it dosent work then i will try again[emoji2]

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 inch pipe fits nicely, I think I will seal 2 per chamber with valves to control flow

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above [emoji121]️
MVIMG_20180402_192026.jpg

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I wasn't happy with the pipe idea. I redesigned the blocks a little. I am thinking a Cascade. There are 4 Chambers and 3 dividers. The water will rise in the far chamber and spill over at 30 inches, each divider is 2 inches lower. I am also adding a drain through the run with tee and ball valve so I can isolate and drain Chambers if I need. I am hoping to get some time this weekend to move the water lines, I need a few more blocks, and then sit for a few days before I concrete in case I come up with ideas. I will take some better detailed pictures when i start the cement process

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I got a surprise 2 hours this afternoon so I shut the water off at the road and flipped my main to the right. Now there is no water over the sump. Moved all drain lines as well from above. I'm pretty happy so next i will be squaring everything, cleaning and on with cement
MVIMG_20180405_222642.jpg

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet.

I wonder if it's worth putting a layer of foam between the basement wall/floor to help prevent heat exchange, then water proof the foam with pond sealant
I did think about insulating. But I think i want cool concrete. It's easier to heat the water than cool it down

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone again. Been a little while but I started to make progress again. Sorry for the pictures, it's really hard to remember to stop to take pics. So I got my corner blocks set, then leveled the first row. I drilled 4 inchs into my floor every 4 feet. Then cemented 1/2 inch rebar into the floor. I put steel across the top of each coarse. This took about 6 hours so I figure one more day should do it. I decided to remove the drain and windows. I don't want extra places to leak. Plus the glass was 600 dollars, I can see fine from the top.
MVIMG_20180414_185307.jpg
MVIMG_20180414_185255.jpg
IMG_20180415_130614.jpg
IMG_20180415_151852.jpg
MVIMG_20180415_170425.jpg

bergman58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used cinder blocks ever but one thought popped into my mind when i saw the supporting steel.
Have you considered if the steel can/will leach into the system over time??
It would be so awful to go to all this effort and overlook something simple.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very interesting, and I love your willingness to experiment and share with us! I have a large build on the horizon and cement blocks is an option where I will be putting it.
I think you are going to be suprised at the amount of heat that can get sucked out of the system by that wall and floor, especially if you live in a cooler climate. I have a multi tank system on a much smaller than yours sump (270 gallons plywood) and in northwest Ohio I had to raise it off the floor and lift my several tanks off of the concrete ledge in my basement on foam to keep the system warm. Maybe you are in a warm enough place it won't matter as much. At a minimum, look at heating with a Pex loop on your hot water heater, that will save you tons in energy bills! I unplugged almost 2000 watts of heaters and my gas bill didn't budge. If you need details let me know.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back