Large skimmerless systems

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 (see my signature).

I don't get much skimmate in my curve 9 elite like I used to. My chaeto has taken off like crazy and I throw away a volleyball to basketball size chunk every week or 10 days. Between that and my clean up crew, I don't have much algae even on the glass.

I don't chase numbers but watch my fish and corals for signs of trouble. I have found in over 32 years of reefing, the inhabitants will tell the tale of how things are going.

I have taken the cup off the skimmer for the last two weeks and just let it run. Nothing seems to have taken a turn for the worse so I am thinking about removing the skimmer and putting the chaeto in the skimmer compartment because it's larger and upgrading my light to an h160we from the Amazon UFO looking grow light I now run.

Do any of you guys with tanks 180 or larger run skimmerless? For how long? What is your bio load. Mine is huge. :)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I will ever run a tank again without a skimmer. It is my main filtration method since I dont run socks anymore. Sometimes it pulls nothing and other times gallons. My macro is in a separate 29 gallon tank lit buy 2 BB lights putting out about 250 watts.

My bioload is probably as big as yours but it is in 400 gallons total. 2 eels, 2 lions, 2 large angels, 4 tangs, large foxface, 8 chromis, CBB, 2 small angels, file fish, Banded Goby, Starry blenny, 2 clowns.
My long spine urchins spawned and It would have remained a mess without the skimmer to pull it out.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I will ever run a tank again without a skimmer. It is my main filtration method since I dont run socks anymore. Sometimes it pulls nothing and other times gallons. My macro is in a separate 29 gallon tank lit buy 2 BB lights putting out about 250 watts.

My bioload is probably as big as yours but it is in 400 gallons total. 2 eels, 2 lions, 2 large angels, 4 tangs, large foxface, 8 chromis, CBB, 2 small angels, file fish, Banded Goby, Starry blenny, 2 clowns.
My long spine urchins spawned and It would have remained a mess without the skimmer to pull it out.

I should have mentioned I don't run socks. I actually run a canister for the UV and carbon instead of running separate UV and media reactor. This works very well and is easy to maintain. My tank water is like vodka until the carbon starts to exhaust and I see a tinge and then I just change out the carbon and fire it back up.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the skimmer in. That way if something goes wrong, like a bacterial bloom, you can turn it on.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go external and put in a 20H or a 16" cube I have as a macro chamber. Just leave the cup off the skimmer and put it on if I feel the need. It would be easy enough to T off the return line and turn up the return pump another notch. (I am running too large of a return pump on purpose and have it turned down)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took down my UV. I can put it back in 5 minutes if I want to. I use Ozone instead of carbon.

If you have time, please message me about this. I did it years ago but honestly can't remember how to utilize it anymore. :)

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your tank would benefit from removing your skimmer. I do chase numbers and have found if I’m not cleaning my glass every 3/4 days then my nutrients are to low and my corals are staving and losing color.

Back