Large Sump for dedication build

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

We recently had a Sailor pass away. He was an avid reefer and we are looking to build up a tank at our command as a dedication. We have been lucky enough to get a tank (400g), stand and most equipment donated to us in one shape or another. The only thing we still need is a large sump. We have looked at the Synergy sumps as well as Beshea. I have also reached out to both companies to see if they have anything damaged or open box that we can save on since our funds are almost depleted for this project. No response from either, which is fine :)

So, the question: is it worth it to try and build our own? Is there another company I can reach out to that might have something sitting around they cannot sell? I have limited experience with acrylic but would worry about the long term integrity. Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey folks,

We recently had a Sailor pass away. He was an avid reefer and we are looking to build up a tank at our command as a dedication. We have been lucky enough to get a tank (400g), stand and most equipment donated to us in one shape or another. The only thing we still need is a large sump. We have looked at the Synergy sumps as well as Beshea. I have also reached out to both companies to see if they have anything damaged or open box that we can save on since our funds are almost depleted for this project. No response from either, which is fine :)

So, the question: is it worth it to try and build our own? Is there another company I can reach out to that might have something sitting around they cannot sell? I have limited experience with acrylic but would worry about the long term integrity. Thoughts?
I would consider - depending your abilities - build one - only - if you can do one in the basement.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
For a sump that large?
yea just determine the size aquarium u need for a sump, than google thaT SIZE BAFFLE KIT. fOR EXAMPLE, i have a 125G tank with a 40G long sump with baffles in it, i have 4 chambers and a dual intake for filter socks. Works just the same and saved me $500

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea just determine the size aquarium u need for a sump, than google thaT SIZE BAFFLE KIT. fOR EXAMPLE, i have a 125G tank with a 40G long sump with baffles in it, i have 4 chambers and a dual intake for filter socks. Works just the same and saved me $500
Not sure there is any such rule - beyond what you use for your tank. This is not a criticism. - Its true - each tank needs its own consideration

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Not sure there is any such rule - beyond what you use for your tank. This is not a criticism. - Its true - each tank needs its own consideration
What rule did I speak off? I answered a the authors reply to me. Thanks

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

A sump can be a large tank without baffles. If you don't have a large tank, you can go to Tractor Supply or some other farm equipment retailer and get a Rubbermaid 50 gallon PVC trough.

Seriously, there is no reason to spend big dollars on a sump.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A sump can be a large tank without baffles. If you don't have a large tank, you can go to Tractor Supply or some other farm equipment retailer and get a Rubbermaid 50 gallon PVC trough.

That’s what I said and got questioned

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, but I'm trying to make this a nice build that can be easily maintained after I leave. Won't be here forever and its not guaranteed that someone who knows what they are doing will show up before then.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but I'm trying to make this a nice build that can be easily maintained after I leave. Won't be here forever and its not guaranteed that someone who knows what they are doing will show up before then.

Well then I would again suggest an empty tank for a sump. No compartments. Lots of room and easy to clean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back